Quantcast
help with those LUFS loudness numbers... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help with those LUFS loudness numbers...
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
help with those LUFS loudness numbers...

Sorry, I just didn't have the time to do the proper research - there is just too much to read out there...
When looking at the Waves WLM Meters Numbers, which one would be the most appropriate to judge the subjective loudness of a 4 minute pop song, for comparing it to the other songs on a CD mastering project?
When I do a "statistic analysis" of each song in Cubase, I get RMS max and RMS average values. With those I worked in the past, but with not much luck, meaning, my impressions always were some 1,5dB in another direction (louder or softer). Can the newer LUFS system give me answers to this problem, or am I totally wrong?
How can I measure the loudness of a song?
I have to do CD authoring work with 96 Songs in one week, I have to speed up and automate on this a bit, even knowing, that this isn't the propriate way to adress the topic of subjective loudness...
Please give me a hint of what You experienced...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 10 years
The LU system has a more or less 0.8dB of error when measuring loudness, which is actually pretty good and makes it a reliable scale to measure loudness.

Most meters have long term measures and instant measuring so you can compare both characteristics on your audio, the instant loudness an the average one.

It is way faster to do it by ear though, unless you're really struggling with it or you work too much hours in one day and easily loose your sensibility. At the end of a working day, a 0.8dB margin of error should be more precise than a tired hear!

So yes, feel free to use a meter to speed up things but remember to hear everything in the morning to be assured all is as intended!
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 15 years
The LUFS system is meant for broadcast and is tweaked for voice more than for music. I have never really found it reliable for full music. And even for voice, it isn't anywhere as reliable as using your ears.

Alistair
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I remember I found when I looked at it a year ago that all of the better sounding albums that are competitively loud don't go over -10LU short term and the stuff I really liked never went above -14.
All the stuff that sounded fatiguing was up at -6 etc. I found it way more accurate than RMS for determining the amount of dynamics lost/smashed sound etc.

Still not as important as ears/monitors but I was impressed at the time.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanx for your answers. I did it by ear, after all...
๐Ÿ“ Reply