Azimuth Correction - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Azimuth Correction
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Azimuth Correction

Howdy!

I'm looking for plugins that can tackle azimuth correction.

I've seen the AudioCube plugin, but it is rather pricy and doesn't seem to work as a VST.

Isn't there a phase component to azimuth problems in addition to the time delay?

The AudioCube plugin claims that it's capable of delay of 1/100th of a second. Does the iZotope RX2 Advanced module "Azimuth" work at that small of a resolution? Is that even important?

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Is the azimuth error constant or varying?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke89061 ➑️
The AudioCube plugin claims that it's capable of delay of 1/100th of a second. Does the iZotope RX2 Advanced module "Azimuth" work at that small of a resolution? Is that even important?
You probably meant 1/100th of a sample. Yes, RX 2 can work at less-than-a-sample precision. You can either manually specify a fractional-sample delay or let it automatically find the azimuth in your stereo recording. I don't think that going down to 1/100th of a sample is important, but less-than-a-sample precision is a must.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks fellas!

Yes, I meant 1/100th of a sample, not second - thanks Alexey! Looks like an upgrade to Advanced is in order.

The issue that comes up most often is working from a tape transfer that was done without azimuth adjustment - or worse, a second or third generation tape that perhaps has multiple layers of non-phase-coherent bass.

What's an example of a situation where the azimuth could vary with time? Perhaps if the tape path is not robust enough to keep the tape in place vertically?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I tested various options about a year ago. Azimuth error is cumulative and program content is always changing so the ability to track changes well without overshooting and over-reacting to the program is the key to good results.

CubeTec VPI (Audiocube) was the best of the lot. It tracked changes very well and was hard to fool by manually messing with the tape while playing. It runs as a stand-alone in Wavelab. It is rather expensive at about $1,500 but if you need it, it will pay for itself.

iZotope RX2 worked fine for static correction but did not track changes as well as CubeTec. I asked them about further development but it's probably not going to get a lot of attention.

Stereo Tool (Stereo Tool 6.32) is designed to be a broadcast processor but has an azimuth correction pane. It's cheap but I can get better results than with RX2. I would definitely recommend it for a first try.

PhasePhix is interesting and cheap but doesn't track changes. (ShapeShifter multi-effect)

There were a few other cheap plugs that were forgettable.

I did not get a chance to try Cedar, which many say is the best. I think it is limited to 48k, though that may have changed.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
wow, thanks Greg!

I didn't realize the AudioCube VPIs will run in vanilla Wavelab. Is that true of all of the VPIs, or just Azimuth?

Will give old StereoTool a shot as well.

I've tried phase adjustment plugs like PhaseBug, but they don't really seem to apply to "analog tape head out of physical alignment" issues.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You can get most, maybe all of the VPIs individually now. The restoration stuff is relatively expensive. $1,500 for the azimuth plug, but that would be a bargain compared to any piece of outboard gear. Their mastering stuff is much less expensive.

I asked the Celemony guys about it but it's way down their list. Seems like something they should do.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've had some success in the past with automatic phase correction in Adobe Audition, though technically not an azimuth plugin. It tracks quite well if there's enough mid information.
πŸ“ Reply