Quantcast
Adjusting the mix(master) for SoundCloud - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adjusting the mix(master) for SoundCloud
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➡️
Post audio files for what?
I'm just sayin' if you make strong statements on an audio site like GS then it makes your opinion more valid if you post audio files in support. A poster claimed Soundcloud audio 'sucks' - my opinion is that it's no better or worse than similar sites - so I asked him for an example...nothing wrong with that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➡️
Man, take a wave file, upload it on SC, the BC and listen and compare to the original...
Here: The Soundcloud Challenge


Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➡️
...Maybe you like SC more because of that "extras" they're "adding"...
Yeah - I like the 'extras' and the 10 million+ community; but as well as looking good and being great for social networking I prefer the audio to other services I've used. Maybe it's familiarity but to me SC sounds musical...it's got a great vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➡️
...The topic was discusses here on GS many times, search.
I know. I've participated in most of the threads and they're in my 'posts' list. Interestingly, in all those threads, no-one has ever been able to post audio samples which demonstrated that SC streaming audio is of a worse quality than similar services. Of course, some will have that opinion.
Old 9th September 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I put throwaways on Soundcloud for this reason. I love the community but the quality that it encodes at is a turn off. I stick with soundclick for my finished products. Just makes more sense. Hope that may put some kind of an id into ya head op !
Old 10th September 2012
  #33
Here for the gear
 
LynFresh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I used to have the same problem with certain sounds clipping harshly in soundcloud. I found that when I stopped using limiters on my music the artifacts would not appear. Idk if you're using a limiter or not, but if you are, try removing it and then check your sound quality on sc.
Peace
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynFresh ➡️
I used to have the same problem with certain sounds clipping harshly in soundcloud. I found that when I stopped using limiters on my music the artifacts would not appear. Idk if you're using a limiter or not, but if you are, try removing it and then check your sound quality on sc.
Peace
I'll often upload a track, have a listen, then adjust some EQ, etc. and re-upload. I have a similar method with video; the compression crushes the dynamic range (of light/colour) so I live with it for a while and re-adjust.

I guess that Sonnox decoder plug-in is a godsend for busy producers.
Old 10th September 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Let's see:

Box, dropbox, pure volume, band camp, tunecore...

Shall I continue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Wow, someone has his angry shoes on! :thumbup:
Old 10th September 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I hate when people ask questions, you provide an answer, then some bozo asks for all this proof. You have an answer, test it for yourself to see if you feel the same. Hand holding time is over! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
I hate when people ask questions, you provide an answer, then some bozo asks for all this proof. You have an answer, test it for yourself to see if you feel the same. Hand holding time is over! Lol...
IMO you haven't provided any audio file examples (of SC 'sucking' in comparison to similar sites) because what you claim is incorrect. Other people have provided files or done independent tests but these have shown little difference (good or bad) between sites - so I don't think you would be able to.

The Soundcloud Challenge
Old 10th September 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nobody can speak with ultimate authority. That's the point: collect opinions, and pursue your own knowledge... Don't sit there with your nose up asking for empirical evidence. I've heard it personally, and that's enough for me. I've shared my personal experience, and won't tolerate being berated or disrespected for it. If you disagree, fine. I couldn't care less...

For instance:

Bounce some waves (sine waves) in octaves (or 1/3 octaves if you're feeling brave) from 20hz to 20khz . Hell, bounce some pink or white noise....Upload to SC... Hear it rape your waveforms...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
this is my square wave
the top one is soundcloud
the bottom one is bandcamp
if you make squares waves, maybe soundcloud is better for you
who knows
not me
Attached Thumbnails
Adjusting the mix(master) for SoundCloud-square.jpg  
Old 10th September 2012
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
What does looking at the visual representation prove? we did a test a while ago and all sc does is compress to 128, a tune at around -12dbfs was still at that level after sc had processed it

I honestly dont care either way and actually prefer the way bc lets you navigate and play a tune simultaneously
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Arthur Stone's Avatar
 
91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Nobody can speak with ultimate authority. That's the point: collect opinions, and pursue your own knowledge... Don't sit there with your nose up asking for empirical evidence. I've heard it personally, and that's enough for me. I've shared my personal experience, and won't tolerate being berated or disrespected for it. If you disagree, fine. I couldn't care less...
I'm sorry if you feel disrespected - that isn't my intention, after all it's your debateable comment on a public forum that I'm challenging not you personally.

I've got the right to express my opinion too; IMO there is nothing wrong with empirical evidence - in fact it's responsible for much of the technological world that enables us to communicate and make music. I see lot's of threads on Gearslutz full of audio file comparisons, hardware and software, so I don't see an issue with extending that to streaming algorithms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
For instance:

Bounce some waves (sine waves) in octaves (or 1/3 octaves if you're feeling brave) from 20hz to 20khz . Hell, bounce some pink or white noise....Upload to SC... Hear it rape your waveforms...
If you've done the test yourself already then feel free to post the files in the Soundcloud Challenge thread.
Old 10th September 2012
  #42
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I only get so many minutes, dude. I use it as a scratch track demo page because I'll tell ya what, aside from the steam quality, they've got it.

Also, MY opinion was anecdotal. Yours only questioned and challenged mine. Think about that for a second...

PS, somebody before me posted a square wave. Take a gander.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 10th September 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
What does looking at the visual representation prove? we did a test a while ago and all sc does is compress to 128, a tune at around -12dbfs was still at that level after sc had processed it

I honestly dont care either way and actually prefer the way bc lets you navigate and play a tune simultaneously
Nobody is saying it doesn't have it's merits. What is being said, is soundcloud (to me) has a very profound, and very negative impact on my tunes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The highest peak of the audio should be at -0.3 and then the SC compression should leave your audio more or less alone.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
The highest peak of the audio should be at -0.3 and then the SC compression should leave your audio more or less alone.
I never go above -0.3 anyway ... in fact I even tried -3... then settled for -0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➡️
I'll often upload a track, have a listen, then adjust some EQ, etc. and re-upload. I have a similar method with video; the compression crushes the dynamic range (of light/colour) so I live with it for a while and re-adjust.

I guess that Sonnox decoder plug-in is a godsend for busy producers.
Yeah, I am also doing it... but thats the first track i uploaded to soundcloud.. so I thought that i could use some "shortcut" -advice from people who delt with this many times already... Is there some things that you do on a "regular basis" when bouncing the track with SoundCloud's 128kbps mp3 in mind..
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sorry I need to correct myself. It is -3 db headroom, not -0.3 that is needed.

I tried it out with a track last week that had a solo bass part on which the SC distortion/compression was very audible. After I reduced the volume to peak at max -3, it was fine (just the normal bad 128 mp3 sound).
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
Sorry I need to correct myself. It is -3 db headroom, not -0.3 that is needed.

I tried it out with a track last week that had a solo bass part on which the SC distortion/compression was very audible. After I reduced the volume to peak at max -3, it was fine (just the normal bad 128 mp3 sound).
Oh really? I did not know that thanks! So if I put a limiter on my mix and lower the ceiling to -3, it should be fine? Or should I not put a limiter and just have the song peaking at -3 before uploading to SC?
Old 11th September 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
If you do that and only that, you're killing 3db of headroom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
If you do that and only that, you're killing 3db of headroom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting turning down the main out volume to give the extra head room, not squashing it with a limiter right?
Old 11th September 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
jrhager84's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis ➡️
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting turning down the main out volume to give the extra head room, not squashing it with a limiter right?
Yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 11th September 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Nobody is saying it doesn't have it's merits. What is being said, is soundcloud (to me) has a very profound, and very negative impact on my tunes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Fair enough, i must have missed where you explained what this profound negative impact is and will have to and reread as that is quite a strong statement
Old 11th September 2012
  #52
Gear Addict
 
Crystal Mixing and Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I say YouTube has the best quality free audio streaming.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 ➡️
Oh really? I did not know that thanks! So if I put a limiter on my mix and lower the ceiling to -3, it should be fine? Or should I not put a limiter and just have the song peaking at -3 before uploading to SC?
you can do both, but if it was already limited for the zero dbs it will obviouisly be too squashed if you add 3db more limiting. For trying it out I just reduced the overall volume by -3 db. For music that is already limited/compressed, it makes less of a difference (in perceived volume) than one might think. I guess that the "feeling" of loudness comes mainly from the amount of compression than how "loud" it is in dbs (but don't want to start an argument in THIS subforum about this ;-).

Surely I am happier with a track that sounds more or less as I intended it (but with a bit less volume) than the full volume and certain passages are heavily screwed.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
you can do both, but if it was already limited for the zero dbs it will obviouisly be too squashed if you add 3db more limiting. For trying it out I just reduced the overall volume by -3 db. For music that is already limited/compressed, it makes less of a difference (in perceived volume) than one might think. I guess that the "feeling" of loudness comes mainly from the amount of compression than how "loud" it is in dbs (but don't want to start an argument in THIS subforum about this ;-).

Surely I am happier with a track that sounds more or less as I intended it (but with a bit less volume) than the full volume and certain passages are heavily screwed.
Thanks for your advice, I'm going have to put it to use next time I upload a song.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis ➡️
So you're saying that no matter what form I upload my file as it will be a 128 mp3 in the soundcloud player?
I would imagine so. However, I can bet an 128 mp3 created from a 320 mp3 would sound marginally worse than an 128 mp3 encoded directly from a Wav
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➡️
you can do both, but if it was already limited for the zero dbs it will obviouisly be too squashed if you add 3db more limiting. For trying it out I just reduced the overall volume by -3 db. For music that is already limited/compressed, it makes less of a difference (in perceived volume) than one might think. I guess that the "feeling" of loudness comes mainly from the amount of compression than how "loud" it is in dbs (but don't want to start an argument in THIS subforum about this ;-).

Surely I am happier with a track that sounds more or less as I intended it (but with a bit less volume) than the full volume and certain passages are heavily screwed.
Thanks!
Old 11th September 2012
  #57
Gear Maniac
 
cuebism's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolique ➡️
The problem is following:
I uploaded a track and I noticed that hi hats are harsher, thinner
Interesting. I noticed something similar in this forum:

When a user uploads an interesting topic to Gearslutz, it often starts to sound harsh and fatiguing after a while.

Reading the first page of this thread has been an unpleasant experience, although the original question was very interesting.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump