Quantcast
One-off LP recording... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One-off LP recording...
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One-off LP recording...

I'm working on a little project with a guy who want's to manipulate his own tracks on a turntable.

He's tried all the CD scratching devices and none of them are getting him close. He does a lot of preparation to the vinyl surface before the 'performance'.

I found a place called Custom Records out of Minneapolis who will make one-offs, but that was only from a cursory internet search.

So I'm wondering if anyone here offers this service or has any recommendations. Also, any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Max
Old 20th May 2006
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
dubs only last a few plays.. .. and i have no idea how they'd fair with turntablistics.

but, this guy: http://www.richardsimpsonmastering.net
make dubs for you all day long
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Dubs can be cut in harder plastic for longer lasting performance. Like the vestax vinyl cutting machine does. Works well on scratching. Ask if the cutter have the material available.

Or perhaps one of the laptop solutions like serato scratch or final scratch would help? At least it's a spinning vinyl record, unlike the weirdity of touching a small plastic platter on the CD players. These systems can do about 80% of the tricks that can be done with real vinyl. More speficially, things like 'rubs' that relly on very fast microscopic modulations can not be done and anything that pitches the signal real slow will sound like rubbish. The rest ususally works fine though.
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This guy actually scratches stuff into the vinyl and a few other things that I guess you don't hear too often. I'm sure someone's done it all before...

I'll check with Richard Simpson. Thanks for the link. We can get a stack pressed, so I'm sure we'll be able to work with it.

I was under the impression that the one-offs you can get are a bit more permanent than acetates.

Thanks

Max
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This guy actually scratches stuff into the vinyl and a few other things that I guess you don't hear too often.
this seems like a sort of 'low-fi' situation-I imagine a ref-lite or pvc plate will be fine.
Softer plates would be more readily scribed on so that might be a bonus?

Anyways, just to re-iterate whats been said, you have three choices:

1) traditional 'acetate' dubplate.
2) Apollo markets a 'ref-lite' product. Similar to, but with a 'harder' formula, then #1. Many vinyl mastering houses offer this option
3) PVC disc. Sound transfer quality isn't, generally, quite as good-but lasts longer.

Have fun!

Erik
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
He really should try serato, it's an amazing product. You can drop an audio file in it and start scratching with it right away just like you would on vinyl. The sound is very good and Serato works hard to implement new functionality (eg. extra cuepoints, realtime pitchshifting while keeping the tempo.)

The ability to vinylize every audiofile you want instantaneously is great in the productionstage.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Erik: that's good info. The ref-lite idea sounds cool. It'll be alright to get a stack of 'em since there's a small budget (for once!)
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
No worries.

I'm in the process of selling my vinyl equipment (for personal reasons-I still love vinyl), but if you have trouble getting what you are looking for, shout out and I might be able to squeeze in a few plates for you.

Cheers,

Erik
Old 14th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Try this mastering studio

They will do what ever you need
http://www.audioplexus.com
[email protected]
ask for chris
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…