Quantcast
Pro Tool HD Native, Avid HD I/O and Soundblade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tool HD Native, Avid HD I/O and Soundblade?
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Pro Tool HD Native, Avid HD I/O and Soundblade?

Hi!

I been using Pro Tools HD Native with Avid HD I/O for a while now. Mostly doing some vocal and instr dubs, mixes and some post production.

I have been working for some time with mastering, trying to learn and practice as much as possible, and really enjoy this part of the production.

I´m very close to get my new mastering room finished, just a few acoustical adjustments. Looking for some outboard gear that will be the next step (well, it´s a step by step process for sure, the rebuilding of the room got way out of hand economically - allthough it´s very close to be a really great sounding room).
The monitoring I have is what I could afford, Klein+Hummer O300 and 2 x O800 subs and Crane Song Avocet . I´m very happy with the detailed and full sound in this setup. Also compared to work with my older mix monitors Genelec 8040, it seems I can go on for many hours without get those tired ears.

I have been practicing mastering for the past years (not commercially) and have worked quite far in the process within Pro Tools HD 10 Native and then switched to Waveburner just to line up the songs, fades and PQ coding etc (I have a Logic laying around not being used besides Waveburner). All ITH so far.

Now it seems to be the time for me to take the next step and after some reseach I´m close to getting Sonic Soundblade.

So here is my question, which might be a bit naive, but I'm still a novice regarding mastering and how to integrate different programs in my set up.

I really like my Pro Tools HD Native rig and the Avid HD I/O sounds fantastic in the recording and mixprojects I have done. But how to integrate mastering and Soundblade and be able to use the I/O, or whatever I can use of what I have? I´ve been looking around on internet but not found any really informative answers (will look more though, but post this here meanwhile).

My thought was to be able to use the Avid I/O´s DA/AD when using outboard gear. Is there anyone having a setup like this?
I really need an advice how to use and integrate my current setup as much as possible with a new mastering software program, eg Soundblade.

I hope that within a few years I will mostly be doing mastering, but I do like to do some recording and mixing, also from own projects. The PT 10 HD Native and the Avid HD I/O I got for not so long ago. But did I do a misstake here buying this if my main work might be in the mastering field in a hopefully near future? Is Apogee Symphony more compatible .. (I know for ex I can´t use the Avid I/O yet on my macbook pro for on location recordings which is a drag, Thunderbolt might be the solutíon but my MBP just have firewire so that might not work, and I dont like to bring my stationary Macpro on these gigs. Well, besides the point here actually).

So, how I can use my current gear for mastering using a specific mastering program working all the way (compared to as for now using Pro Tools for most of the work that I´m currently practicing on - with some Waveburner as mentioned), and how to set it up, how to use the converters in the HD I/O and more..?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
/C
Old 24th April 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
soundBlade integrates very well with your Avid I/O. You can use the analog and AES ports on that I/O to play out of soundBlade, into your processing chain, and record back into soundBlade or print directly to DDP.

You would probably want to look at using our soundBlade SE product. It's a very cost effective solution for stereo mastering. It supports plug-ins, has the cool source-to-destination editing model and most importantly has the great sonic accuracy that Sonic's workstations have been known and used for.

You can write Sonic Studio for pre-sales questions and guidance at [email protected]
📝 Reply