Quantcast
Over Compression? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Over Compression?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Over Compression?

What do you listen for to tell something has been overcompressed?

What do you guys hear - when you hear a mix that has been over compressed?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 7th May 2006
Mastering

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods
What do you listen for to tell something has been overcompressed?

What do you guys hear - when you hear a mix that has been over compressed?

Thanks,

Woods

I think the first dead giveaway for the novice listener is to listen to the chorus after the verse. If the song doesn't grow in level when the chorus comes in and it just stays flat, it's probably overcompressed.
Old 7th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Absolutely. It's funny I hadn't been visualizing that aspect when I asked the question. But I hear you. I was thinking about pumping and breathing or attenuated kick or bass or sonmething like that.

Tell me when you hear something like "no slow building dynamic intensity" to the first chorus and beyond - what would you have done in the mix to save it - or better still to create it if it wasn't there to begin with (or there but not pronounced enough)?

Might a mix engineer use compression in the mix to create that "chorus build-up"?For instance - compressing more in the first verse and then pulling back on compression in the chorus?

Woods
arf
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
One of my personal favorite signs of overcompression is when it sounds like someone karate chopped the singer in the adam's apple when the bass drum hits under a sustained vocal note. You can hear this on CDs from many of the most popular artists on the charts. Makes you shake your head in wonder.

www.aerialsound.com
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
It's best if the energy lifts in the room, in the tracks themselves as arranged and performed. Second best if it's a fader ride up on the master and/or a host of other tracks.

Compressions dont make peak energy, they ...er ... compress it and make constant energy.

Parallel compression makes energy if properly balanced with the transient track, on say a kick, a drum sub, a bass, a vocal, etc. On a 2 mix? it's keeping the energy BACK and smashing it all together. A 1/2 db, a db or 2 is plenty for the 2 mix in most cases. More compression in the chorus will happen naturally if the faders come up, or the performances pick up steam - as they should, but compression in the chorus is not the cause of energy, it's the effect.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…