The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kinda missing my Avalon 747
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Kinda missing my Avalon 747

I never thought i would miss it but sometimes I do. I never used the compressor as intended. I have much better compressors, but I would engage the 747 comp just to use the tube signal path at times. On certain material it would add a nice roundness with some air on top. Also I miss the low and high shelves at times. Anyone else feel this way about the 747? It seemed a bit silly to keep the box just for those features, but now I miss it. Any suggestions for a replacement from a different manufacturer? Or should i just buy another 747?
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love the Avalon 747 for what it does. I put up to -2db on a two bus and it added a gentle roundness to the signal. Eq was a lot better and useful that it looks. It has the same clear Eq character as the very good Eq on the 737. I also sold mine. Why? Because I wanted something with more character and at times more weight or sparkle. I should have kept mine as well. No other unit can replicate what it does. Very clean compressor.
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Every time I think about selling it, the SC-eq/comp saves my arse.

I wish it were just a bit faster, and that the upper eq band were full range - often I want it responding to stuff lower than the 600Hz it has in the stock setup. The other band acts as a HPF virtually exclusively.

Anyone know if it is moddable in that regard? Should be simple enough I'd have thought...
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bob, I know that Avalon charges $50 to modify for quicker attack time on the comp. I agree with you guys, it has a unique sound, and sometimes that's just fantastic. I suppose I'll get another some day soon. Never thought i would miss this box.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hmmm, $50... + insane amounts of shipping charges, doh!

Still, if they are open to modding then perhaps they'll offer advice about the eq. A faster release would be nice too, but I get the impression that's impossible due to the comp topology :(
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just picked one of these up...am looking forward to trying it !
Have had a 2500, shmc , Manley vari mu etc
Old 4th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMo ➑️
Just picked one of these up...am looking forward to trying it !
Have had a 2500, shmc , Manley vari mu etc
I would have the attack time modified by Avalon if you plan on using the compressor often. Well worth the 50 bucks. Try engaging the compressor without any gain reduction using the tube signal path. This does something really cool for certain material. In solid state mode the comp is super transparent.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the suggestion
If I wasn't 14000 km away I would, but the $50 would pale into insignificance against the freight cost from Australia !
How slow is the attack ?
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I wasn't 14000 km away I would, but the $50 would pale into insignificance against the freight cost from Australia !
How slow is the attack ?

If you are interested I would contact mixmasters in adelaide, I know that they have done the baby face mod to speed up 737s in the past and I would assume this mod isn't too different, it is usually just a matter of changing 1 or 2 cap/resistor values.
Old 5th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How slow is the attack ?
Slower than most people would like.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanx for that...i will get in contact with mixmasters
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It is more of a leveling compressor, not designed to capture the first transients which many times is a good thing. (Same thing can be said of the Manley MU). I had a 747 in my studio and I really loved it. On songs that I did not want a gentle soft touch, I turned off the tube circuit and just allowed the compressor to control any hard dynamics on a 2 bus. It helped gel the mix without getting in the way. On other material where it may sound too clean I turned on the tube circuit and it added a gentle smoothness to your signal. The EQ is to die for. On mine, I confirmed what freq's were on each slider and with a label maker I put the EQ freq's above the sliders as an aid.

The 747 is not for making your mixes punchy, or to capture the first transients. It's not for adding a euphoric character like the Pend OCL-2, nor is it for adding a tube hi fi character like the Manley. What it does is control stronger dynamics and brings them down very gently. It helps make your mix sound more even while having a transparent character though it does have a personality. Not one compressor will ever meet all your needs, but if you want what this unit does, you will be very happy with it. heh I generally found it to be better without the tube circuit in, but on some music, it is just what the doctor ordered.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Glenn, I found it exactly the same as you, except I almost always used tube circuit (btw, did you experiment with tubes?). I like slow compressors.
Old 6th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How slow is the attack ?
On faster attack-transient material its not fast enough to tame some peaks. But it dont happend really often with me.

I like its tube sinal path (tubes switched). The make-up gain have a nice tone for my ears even with the ratio on "0". The eq is good using it before my main eq for overall equalization correction/matching.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Always thought these things are kinda cute, I like the way it has an EQ built into it too, I know it's kinda useless to some people, but it's always nice to have an extra coupla bands if you're doing something complex after compression to re-tilt the tone.

These things don't go too expensive second hand too, so for what it can do, it seems like a really good value unit.
Old 6th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 ➑️
Glenn, I found it exactly the same as you, except I almost always used tube circuit (btw, did you experiment with tubes?). I like slow compressors.
When I first bought mine, I always had the tube circuit in. But then on rock and blues music, I found it could reduce the punch I wanted in the mix. So then I started using it for that type of music without the tube circuit. After a while when I found I did not notice any difference in sound except that it was reducing db's, I wondered how much I really needed it. Most of us have good plug in compressors that can reduce signal without hearing what it is doing, so I sold it. Now I am sorry I don't have it anymore. Running music through Class A gear just does something that plug ins lack. I would not mind getting another 747. By the way that attack speed on the unit is from 2mS to 200mS, and release variable 100mS to 5 seconds. The attack speed is the same on the Avalon 737. I also have said to use your ears and not your eyes on the meter when it comes to adjusting the comp settings.

I also looked at the Avalon 2044 optic compressor, however based on my research, the Avalon 747 sounds very similar to the 2044 without the tube circuit in (they are both optic compressors). I talked to the beautiful and talented Emily Lazar (who is an amazing mastering engineer) who has Avalon gear in her studio. I got the impression, she uses the 747 a lot more than the 2044 in her sessions, plus the 747 is a more flexible unit.

See my review of the 747 here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...lon-747-a.html
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
747 is nice unit . Comp is tricky but after you get to know it it works great for 1-2 db GR finishing after a stronger comp . EQ is nice but very limited, tube/solid state option too . Make up gain is nice too etc ... Its stereo , great match between the channels really nice unit .

The reason I sold mine was that 747 is taking low end away when in chain and the unit can not be hard bypassed !! With all buttons bypassed it is still killing the low end and its adding something in the hi end too which could be nice for some genres but not always. Unpatching it all the time was PITA ... Its circuit is actually on all the time and I dont always like this sound...

Its good finisher for some music - Pop music comes to my mind .

The 747 is not strong enough in comp section to be the only unit in the chain and with other "stronger" units you dont actually need it any more , maybe once in 10 occasions ...

I dont really miss it ...
Old 7th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man ➑️

The reason I sold mine was that 747 is taking low end away when in chain and the unit can not be hard bypassed !! With all buttons bypassed it is still killing the low end and its adding something in the hi end too which could be nice for some genres but not always. Unpatching it all the time was PITA ... Its circuit is actually on all the time and I dont always like this sound...
I donΒ΄t have the same experience with it: mine is not killing the low end, neither adding something in the hi end when bypassed, it is actually really transparent , but i would have prefered a hard bypass for sure(so i did put it on an insert).

I swapped the sovteks with some nos red valvos, and i like it better that way, even if the difference was not as big as i was waiting for.

A proper calibration of the unit is quite important to get a perfect response.

I like its sound, it is not the ultimate machine but it does well what it does.
Old 7th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man ➑️
747 is nice unit . Comp is tricky but after you get to know it it works great for 1-2 db GR finishing after a stronger comp . EQ is nice but very limited, tube/solid state option too . Make up gain is nice too etc ... Its stereo , great match between the channels really nice unit .

Its good finisher for some music - Pop music comes to my mind .

The 747 is not strong enough in comp section to be the only unit in the chain and with other "stronger" units you dont actually need it any more , maybe once in 10 occasions ...

I dont really miss it ...
This is why I use the hp filter to control the low end. I agree with you that it is a good finisher. You have a stronger compressor first and then put this on as a final touch.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i like it in the studio, but I love it in my live rig. Great box at FOH for transparent level control and clean, gentle EQ tweaking.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I sold mine to a good friend to help facilitate the purchase of the Foote Control Systems P3S ME, and while I'm much happier with the FCS as a compressor, I really miss that 32khz shelf and tube signal path. It definitely added some mojo in a very pleasurable way. I shed a few tears once a month.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I actually had a fair amount of trepidation when I bought it ,considering the amount of hate for it on GS.....but this thread has left me more inspired !
My mixing chain now is (don't laugh) Neve series 54 28 channel summing mixer->ssl clone comp->Avalon 747 ->Oram hidef 35 eq-> korg mr1000
Monitoring is ATC 100's, jbl 4311, Ns 10
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Still thinking about the Avalon 747; I am wondering with Samplitude's Ammunition plug in, UAD Studer, Ampex tape plug ins, what the 747 will offer that I would not get with these plug ins. It's been a while since I had a 747 in my studio. However I do remember the EQ and loved what it did to a 2 bus mix.
Old 24th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➑️
Still thinking about the Avalon 747; I am wondering with Samplitude's Ammunition plug in, UAD Studer, Ampex tape plug ins, what the 747 will offer that I would not get with these plug ins. It's been a while since I had a 747 in my studio. However I do remember the EQ and loved what it did to a 2 bus mix.
No plug in will give you the character of the Avalon 747. The EQ sounds just like the Avalon 2055 though you have no Q control. It will add that sparkle to a mix that the 2055 can do as well. The optic compressor is very control-able with using with the hp and lp filter controls.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I LOVE the EQ on this thing for background vocals, like R&B and gospel type stuff. It's really easy to sculpt the perfect sound for stacks of vocals. Sometimes the fader positions look really odd, but it will sound fantastic. I usually send each group of vocals through individually (altos, tenors, sopranos, etc.), and printing it back to stereo tracks. The EQ will be different for each group, and they all fit together very nicely.
Old 28th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
No plug in will give you the character of the Avalon 747. The EQ sounds just like the Avalon 2055 though you have no Q control. It will add that sparkle to a mix that the 2055 can do as well. The optic compressor is very control-able with using with the hp and lp filter controls.
You are correct about plug ins not offering what the 747 can do. Maybe getting one in the studio in March.....we will see. Looking for the extra sparkle, a little more weight in the low end, and gentle comp to control transients.
Old 29th February 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Wait for the moment and scoup it up when the money is right. I have thought of selling mine but i haven't done a record without using it at some point. A great finisher yes, maybe not for all materlial. But i agree in that i always seem to use it in some practical or very impractical way even during tracking. As a dynamic processor...eh, it is less as a compressor and more a leveler, but i also agree that i find i use it mostly as way to inhance or make a track blend. The EQ's rule. Although i prob should have sold it(i dont own a crap ton of gear) there lots o sounds, its tough to part with.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the 747 is a great unit. I bought mine nearly 10 years ago and I don't think I'll ever sell it.
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The 747 is back in my studio and I spent quite some on several different mixes with it. As what was said already, it is best used after a 2 bus compressor is used on the mix and the 747 as a finisher. The 747 offers lots of flexibility.
1. It can be very clean and transparent (when using the hp filter so the low end does not activate it so easily) adding just up to -2db of reduction. The tube signal path adds a gentle color to the mix which offers a subtle smoothness that is not very obvious but it is there.
2. You can also adjust the ratio, attack and release and hit the signal a little harder making the 2 bus smoother and adding a little more color.
2. You can also hit the signal harder with a slower attack and release. This setup allows you to add a smoothness to the dynamics on the entire mix and adding the character of the Avalon to the song.
3. You can also increase the input control and back off the output control or visa versa for a different sound as well. The HP and LP filters are very powerful to control the top and low end so the comp would be too sensitive and soften things up too much.
4. EQ is nice to just a a touch top end or control some other freq's in a mix.

However if you work this comp like many plug ins, the soft pillowy sound people people complain about will occurr. You have to listen to the dynamics, not the character it is or is not giving you.

The Avalon 747 is a great unit for finishing up your mixes.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had a client who wanted his mix to not sound so ultra clean, but he did not want a thick tube sound either. I ran his mix through the 747 with the tubes activated. I hit up to -2db along with the hp filter in use. When I A/B the mix, his eyes lit up. "That's the sound I want". Needless to say I mastered his record using the 747 and 2055 Eq. Another happy customer! . I love Avalon gear!
πŸ“ Reply