The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kinda missing my Avalon 747
Old 1st March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club ➡️
I have one that sits at the end of my chain, mostly for gain. I cannot see myself ever getting rid of it.

I actually had mine heavily modified - including a 2 RU breakout control panel that adds stepped input and output gains / attenuation as well as stepped eq for all the points. I found that the stereo potentiometers in 3 units i'd tested had very loose tolerances and l/r channels could be off by more than 6db depending on the positioning. Not good.

The EQ isn't AMAZING - I find I almost always prefer the air on my Michelangelo or the slightly more grippy 27k wide bell on the Knif soma to the 32k boost on the 747, but the 5k shelf and wide midrange bells can be nice as a little last minute tilt.

If anyone has any more interest in the mod i'd be happy to chat and share some photos.
Please post if you still have the pics available. Thx.
Old 4th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioKemestry ➡️
Please post if you still have the pics available. Thx.
Very interested in those pics too, here or even by PM
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club ➡️
I found that the stereo potentiometers in 3 units i'd tested had very loose tolerances and l/r channels could be off by more than 6db depending on the positioning. Not good.
Finding this out for myself the hard way, grabbed a used 747 today. Not 6db bad, but left and right channels definitely off here.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➡️
Finding this out for myself the hard way, grabbed a used 747 today. Not 6db bad, but left and right channels definitely off here.
Avalon always made some very pristine units, with amazing specs throughout, so the pot is not to blame here, it must come from something else : tubes, off trimmer etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I will never get rid of mine. It's the one unit I rely upon when it comes to giving a last EQ touch or bit of compression to an otherwise brilliant mix. It's also good for mixes that came from reel tape transfers, where you want to control dynamics while bringing the mix a bit forward without adding any sonic stamp. A real workhorse of a stereo unit, quite frankly.

That said, I don't advise buying a used unit unless you know the owner.

YMMV,
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiotalesDesign ➡️
Avalon always made some very pristine units, with amazing specs throughout, so the pot is not to blame here, it must come from something else : tubes, off trimmer etc.
I had a similar experience and a fresh set of tubes from Avalon solved the problem. YMMV. Good luck.
📝 Reply