Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Will do! thanks!

(PS-I have no idea-LOL)
Here you go...

https://www.fluxhome.com/download

Quote:
Dream on. None of the post here makes any sense !!!
Speak for yourself - as you're obviously doing. Do you realize you're sounding like a complete idiot to everyone?

Quote:
Or you think anyone saying a tool is great in a forum makes sense?
WTF are you doing here then? Leave us alone and go turn some knobs on your hardware!

Quote:
This gearslutz forum is corrupted, ****ed up by a few assholes.
Does anyone else see the obvious irony in this statement?

Quote:
!!! Just that the real engineers here don't misunderstand me, I can very well seperate the nincompoops from the real Mastering Engineers, and of course nothing against the forumites who ask questions and say "thank you" when they get an answer.
It's your writing that makes you hard to understand - and tolerate.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
That's Maccheroni, not Macaroni.

God speak Italian, and his right hand on earth German since a few years, but only when he gives orders.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
BTW I demoed the Elixir, next to the ProL and My usual Ozone, Ad Limiter and L2

Heads and Tails for me and what I like in this type of limiter...I wasn't putting it up against some other heavywieghts, but it wasn't even close....IMO
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Heads and Tails for me and what I like in this type of limiter...I wasn't putting it up against some other heavywieghts, but it wasn't even close....IMO
I'm not sure what you meant there - did you like it?
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➑️
I'm not sure what you meant there - did you like it?
yes I thought it was great when I domoed it ...I will be buying this plug.
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been (occasionally, when needed!) using Flux Pure Limiter for years and demoed Elixir last night. A huge step forward sonically, more transparent than anything else I've heard, doesn't flatten 3d and sound "digitally hard" - very pleased. Simple interface is a bonus. 5 stages, hi res on. I mostly only need app - 1.5db or so and it sounds great. This may just be the first plug that doesn't screw with sonics of my otherwise entirely analog mastering processing chain.
Old 29th December 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sounds good.
In quick shootout I found it is on the same level as Fab and Ozone 5. On wide range of material Fab seemed to cope just a bit better than the other two contestants.
Is it me or Elixir is CPU hungry? It seems to drain much more than Elephant, Fab and Ozone.....
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It is CPU hungry with 5 stages and hi res on, where it sounds best.... fine with me since limiter is usually the only plug I need. I'll check the fab filter just in case I'm missing something.
Old 30th December 2011
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep, I noticed the same. They are all nice. Fab is slightly less hungry and in dynamic mode with 2X engaged and the right attack and release settings sound very nice. On par with Elixir.
More testing in the next few days....
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Flux: as a company, is creating some great audio tools.
Good on'em..

Can't wait to try it.

KAyo
Old 1st January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Tried fab filter limiter - best 4x oversampling, sounds nice but doesn't seem to preserve transients as well as elixir, not as tight. Def. elixir for me!
Old 2nd January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian ➑️
Tried fab filter limiter - best 4x oversampling, sounds nice but doesn't seem to preserve transients as well as elixir, not as tight. Def. elixir for me!
I'm quite surprised by this statement. It can even be measured that Pro-L can get closer to a proper clipper (which means the most transparent when it comes to transients) than Elixir. Not to mention that you can use the Dynamic mode which actually exaggerates the transient preservation a bit making it even more transparent to transients when compared to normal limiting methods.

Elixir is relatively clean (and thus slower) than Pro-L can be. May I ask what settings you used on Pro-L which made you feel like the transients suffer?

Cheers!
bManic
Old 2nd January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I liked dynamic mode best. Whatever the reason and terminology to describe it, I found elixir "tighter", "crisper", better definition (especially midrange), where (only!) by comparison fab was "softer" and "looser" etc. I could get it to sound nice but just prefer the fidelity of elixir, especially being so simple and much quicker to set up too. It's a fine line preserving transients and tonal balance at the same time and elixir does it really well for me. Usually you either get the smudge and lose crispness, or lose bottom and fullness in the midrange while adding harshness and distortion to the highs with too short release and attack etc... you know... endless fiddle, always a compromise, always sounds better without it but you just "have to do it", like going to the post office on a beautiful day.... at least with elixir it kind of get's me as close as possible in no time at all. Having said that, fab and pure limiter would be the second choice at the moment.... but as you can see I don't particularly enjoy these plugs so there is stuff I haven't tried out there , I'm sure.
Old 5th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OK now it is Dec 2014.....

What do people think NOW..... about Flux Elixir v3 vs FabFilter Pro-L ?

on a wide variety of music.

Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
cant elixir v3 get working. not on my old win7 32 bit maschine than on my new 64bit maschine (grafic problems and crashes). no support from flux at all.
on my new system no flux plugin works although all licenses are on my ilok.
never will buy anything from them. they are the only plugins I own I have continoues problems with, since years and from the beginnig...

the old elixir is quite nice on acoustic music with only small amounts. but elephant beat it in most cases...
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Mixerguy:

I use either Elixir or Pro-L.

Elixir has little if any tonal change at most amounts of limiting that I'd want to use on many styles of music. I use the '4-stage' mode with 'Dynamic linking' turned on. Where it doesn't work is on 'stun' loudness levels...get's a bit hard sounding and requires either a small EQ move ahead of it or switching to Pro-L.

Pro-L, even in it's most 'transparent' mode, still softens and 'saturates' enough that I can always hear it working, unlike Elixir. However, this 'effect' is just what I want sometimes and on the right material (already hard/harsh-sounding aggressive music), the Pro-L is great. If I really need to slam something, Pro-L, combined with other methods, works really well.

So, I use either, depending on the music, which is fine by me.

(Each used on both Win32 and Win64 systems.)

Graemme
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmastering ➑️
Mixerguy:

I use either Elixir or Pro-L.

Elixir has little if any tonal change at most amounts of limiting that I'd want to use on many styles of music. I use the '4-stage' mode with 'Dynamic linking' turned on. Where it doesn't work is on 'stun' loudness levels...get's a bit hard sounding and requires either a small EQ move ahead of it or switching to Pro-L.

Pro-L, even in it's most 'transparent' mode, still softens and 'saturates' enough that I can always hear it working, unlike Elixir. However, this 'effect' is just what I want sometimes and on the right material (already hard/harsh-sounding aggressive music), the Pro-L is great. If I really need to slam something, Pro-L, combined with other methods, works really well.

So, I use either, depending on the music, which is fine by me.

(Each used on both Win32 and Win64 systems.)

Graemme
Thanks Graemme!

Yeah I found Stage 4 to be a bit hard sounding....

and....

when you use Dynamic Linking... what % do you have the link slider at? (usually)

or is the slider out of play, when Dynamic Linking is on?

I RTFM but I forget.... heh
Old 7th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I forget too...

But it's set to 69% and the speed is at 50%.

gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➑️
Thanks Graemme!

Yeah I found Stage 4 to be a bit hard sounding....

and....

when you use Dynamic Linking... what % do you have the link slider at? (usually)

or is the slider out of play, when Dynamic Linking is on?

I RTFM but I forget.... heh
Old 27th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Elixir, AOM and CPU

Hi guys, jumping on this thread real late i know

But I'm just about to pull the trigger on a limiter purchase, and after extensive listening tests in a friends studio, i have narrowed it down to Flux elixir vs AOM limiter
I can get the Elixir for crazy cheap - about $60 which is a bargain so cheaper than AOM and also has much better metering
the AOM is quite amazing tho as well, both stellar plugins (i think the 2 best limiters out there atm, IMO) - really tough decision.

My question is: How is the latency and CPU hit of Elixir with V3? can it be used across multiple channels if need be to catch some peaks (in single or 2 stage) as well as across master or is it too heavy for sort of bread and butter limiter

Im really looking for a one stop shop limiter, which is clean and high definition, but low in cpu and latency to be used for ITB mixing no hassle ( i don't mind compromising stages for stem limit)

btw I'm using Pro Tools 11 on late 2014 MBP retina 15" i7 2.2ghz
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
RedEyeJedi: Both are worth having. If money is an issue, start with any of them and get the other one after a couple of masters.
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Have a try with Limiter nΒ°6, it's free and damn good ^^

Last edited by Precision Studio; 10th January 2015 at 11:06 AM..
πŸ“ Reply