The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LoudMax is the best limiter...here's why
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Limiting with a -30 dB threshold is an abnormal situation. Who cares which limiter performs the best in this case when obviously the correct answer isn't using a limiter?
One particular limiter behaves differently, on a particular track in such a situation. So what?
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
My girlfriend lets rip at -30 but by god does it stink
wouldn't mind a limiter for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurend ➡️
Limiting with a -30 dB threshold is an abnormal situation. Who cares which limiter performs the best in this case when obviously the correct answer isn't using a limiter?
One particular limiter behaves differently, on a particular track in such a situation. So what?
Old 13th May 2013
Deleted User
Here is a demo test of limiters: https://soundcloud.com/stealthgear/m...g-limiter-test

Similar results w/ 16db input gain, which I consider extreme. LoudMax or Sonnox Oxford Limiter are almost equal to each other. Since LoudMax is free, it should be recommended to most people that just need a boost. Apple's AUPeakLimiter is very good too. Ozone was average on my test but an excellent choice I'd still recommend too. Tough competition really.

Plugins that weren't acceptable for my tests: BrainWorx Limiter (not XL), A.O.M. Invisible Limiter - These had obvious distortion.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Brainworx's XL v2(KEY PART) is rather outstanding, did your experience use the first version?

I can share with you a relatively loud piece of material in which there is very little distortion that wasn't already present in the material.

Normally I'm fairly regularly in Pro-L as I don't own many software limiters, but during the demo period I had great success with XL v2 on two particular songs.
Old 18th May 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuator ➡️
Brainworx's XL v2(KEY PART) is rather outstanding, did your experience use the first version?
I'm seeing that the one I used says saturation on the product page...so no wonder I didn't like it. I guess I didn't understand. I should have used the XL. I edited my post a little.

Note: I found this chain to work. I only lose about 6db in dynamic range. Its a really hot signal. Maybe it crushes cymbals too much, but I'll find a workaround.

1. EQ (turn down treble a little, add bass)
2. A Mastering Compressor - Slow attack, fast release. 1.6 ratio (or whatever)
3. An Exciter or Saturation
4. Stereo Widener
5. Waves L3 UltraMaximizer <--- Well I didn't like this one at first, but now I'm seeing the light. Its beastly...as long as in step one I adjusted the EQ so the L3 wasn't hurting my ears.
6. Vintage Warmer or Tape Saturation to add final beef.

I think Loudmax is good if I'm being lazy. But I think L3 is even better if you start tweaking and use a lot of plugins simultaneously. Its pretty interesting to me that a plugin I didn't prefer by itself, worked better for me with other plugins. I guess its just whatever effect you need in the end. There are so many plugins out there its confusing.
Old 17th May 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Updated

LoudMax is updated to V 1.13

LoudMax
Old 17th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
AOM Invisible Limiter - is the best soft limiter i've ever heard!
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any thread titled

Quote:
xxx is the best: Here's why.
Was always going to derail...

There is nothing particularly magic about LoudMax. It's easy to push hard without realising it, but then so are other limiters once you know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd ➡️
I love loudmax because sometimes I just wanna set it once, and get back to being creative - not spend the next 20 minutes trying to dial in proper settings
Tweaking limiters is literally what I live for.
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Thomas Mundt has updated LoudMax to version 1.14.
Changes:
New control: Fader link. Output fader will be coupled to threshold fader. Klick on "Link".
Improved limiter algorithm. Internal parameters optimized.
Audio Unit: Symbiosis updated to v1.3.
Fix compatibility with Final Cut Pro X.

Download
LoudMax
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den ➡️
Thomas Mundt has updated LoudMax to version 1.14.
Changes:
New control: Fader link. Output fader will be coupled to threshold fader. Klick on "Link".
Improved limiter algorithm. Internal parameters optimized.
Audio Unit: Symbiosis updated to v1.3.
Fix compatibility with Final Cut Pro X.

Download
LoudMax
you really think this limiter is noteworthy?
i always give respect to people who invest time and passion to create freeware, but i erased the dll after 1 minute testing - not roughly as good than the usual suspects.
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For what its worth, when I hear the word 'transparent' in this context, I take it to mean a lack of pumping and breathing. In other words, effects and artifacts as a result of compression, not a result of clipping the signal.
If someone says "there's distortion, so its not very transparent", I say "no, you're using it wrong; dial it back until there's no distortion, then assess transparency".
Distortion should not be part of the discussion because its just a mistake, not a byproduct of using a limiter or compressor as it is intended.
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know how one CAN'T love a simple, fast, good, FREE limiter compressor that has nearly no distortion. What is not to love? I use it all the time now in video production on MAC and PC. Fixes EVERYTHING without wasting ANY time futzing around with attepting to dial in to make something perfect: set, forget, and move on.
Of course, it is not perfect, nor perfect for everyone, but if you don't want to blow $150 (or $1500) just to bring up levels, limit, and not distort, this is perfect. And idiot proof. And and a one button solution.

What's NOT to love? The color of the interface?? :D
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I don't like using limiters but whenever I do , its mostly Nugen ISL or Fab PRO-L. Ive used Ozone , Waves , Oxford and never liked them. I mostly boost with eq and compressors and leave the audio peaking between -1 and -3 db without any limiting. I find this is makes your mix more enjoyable in the longer run.
Old 3rd February 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you want it loud and transparent, while maintaining the punch and transients, the best limiter is Fabfilter Pro-L. No other limiter can do this without squashing or clipping. For a freebie I suggest Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter - it is awesome.
Old 3rd February 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Don't understand all the fuzz. Try Pro-L, do a shootout with all the others, you will be amazed. Pro-L is in a league of its own - loudest, most transparent and maintains punch and transients perfectly. Perfect for EDM and all other music genres.
Old 27th November 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Fascinating debate. What has not so far been agreed upon is the meaning of 'distortion'. Added harmonics? Altered dynamic detail? Overshoot artefacts? Holes? Phase changes? All those bundled together? A single word won't do.
Old 28th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardellison ➡️
Added harmonics?
Sure, but also aliasing, unharmonics, softened harmonics and weak bass.

Quote:
Altered dynamic detail?
Compressors are the main culprites on this point.

Quote:
Overshoot artefacts?
A good release system avoids such artefacts.

Quote:
Holes?
Heavy hard clipping only can produce holes. No limiter has to be blamed for this.

Quote:
Phase changes?
Very uncommon problem.

Quote:
All those bundled together?
Each point must be addressed separately.
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Loudmax does many things that can be called distortion when pushed: it blurs the lows, it squashes transients, it adds noisy harmonics. Well everything that the average limiters do
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some here , with very professional studios, may see it as merely a toy, but I swear by yohngs W1 limiter. I've used it for a few years now , with the betabugs skin, and thrown everything at it, and it doesnt break. Ceiling down....threshold up.....does great things on vocals. The dev claims its modelled on the Waves L1. I dont know if the claim is accurate, and I hate Waves because of their haste to get customers to upgrade soon after putting their products on sale............but thats a topic for another day. The W1 has served me admirably. I have other limiters such as Ozone 7, di6 group Frontier, various limiters within NI Guitar rig, density mk2, and loudmax.............but I use the W1 on every track, and on multiple channels, and its never let me down, and its Free, which is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
LoudMax is the best limiter...here's why-w1.png  
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
LoudMax is amazing. Like it much more than my iZotope Maximizer in Reason which I no longer use.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
LoudMax version 1.38 is great! That rhymes!

https://loudmax.blogspot.com/
📝 Reply