The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Famous Swedish Secret Mastering
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah ➡️
Cari Lekebusch.....yes the exchange cut louder than anybody else at that time...doesn't apply to digital releases though
ah the exchange. A place that's ruined more of my records than anyone else.........
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
ah the exchange. A place that's ruined more of my records than anyone else.........
I've heard some great work from the Exchange, but recently have been surprised at how bright and distorted some masters are. I have some references that just knock your head off.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
I've heard some great work from the Exchange, but recently have been surprised at how bright and distorted some masters are. I have some references that just knock your head off.
unfortunately that reflects my opinion for the last 10 years or more!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sadly, and obviously, they are not using the correct dithers.

Perhaps a free sample would help them to understand.

I'm sure they are following this thread, so I will provide the sample as a courtesy.
Attached Files

loud okydither.wav (839.8 KB, 6748 views)

Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➡️
I've heard rumors from some that it's all about the mushrooms - ... these freaky Scandinavian Chef's going "bork bork bork" came bursting into the room and dragged him away.
thumbsup
Old 10th October 2011

🎧 10 years
Well.... I dunno if this is exactly what the op was looking for but, I happen to know the actual master chain for at least one Swedish House Mafia track. The master chain for the single "One" is as follows in Logic:

1. Logic gain plugin
2. T-Racks by IK
3. SSL Compressor by Waves
4. L3-LL Multimaximizer by Waves
5. Vintage Warmer by PSP
6. PAZ Analyzer by Waves

This is actually accurate.... It was taken from Axwell's Macbook screen itself :P Although they do claim to run it through an actual SSL console at some point to use the bus compressor.
Old 10th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny thread. I also heard about a mastering engineer getting a Grammy (not a nomination) and all they used was an EQ, AD and a digital limiter....

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo ➡️
Funny thread. I also heard about a mastering engineer getting a Grammy (not a nomination) and all they used was an EQ, AD and a digital limiter....
I think that's someone with a great set of ears knowing what something needed and doing just that, and not more. Who said mastering had to be astonishingly complicated or convoluted. To the recording academy and that engineer "Well played sir".

🎧 10 years
What if that mastering engineer didn't do anything, because nothing was needed and won a grammy? heh
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mastering engineers don't win Grammys. . .

Except for for Surround Album, Album of The Year, and Historial Album.

Best,
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mmm.
Why all these foreign plugins?
Only by using "near produced" soft'n'hard it is possible to get this famous Yaki-Da '95 sound!
So, it should be a song about burned toasts sang to GA mike with a Hagström guitarr recorded through PH Balance into PH Record and mixed with Softube plugins on Frost Audioframe Mobile, precisely placed on an IKEA desk.
Now you're talking Swedish!
Gear Guru

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xday32x ➡️
6. PAZ Analyzer by Waves
That explains it!

Alistair
Old 14th December 2011 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xday32x ➡️
Well.... I dunno if this is exactly what the op was looking for but, I happen to know the actual master chain for at least one Swedish House Mafia track. The master chain for the single "One" is as follows in Logic:

1. Logic gain plugin
2. T-Racks by IK
3. SSL Compressor by Waves
4. L3-LL Multimaximizer by Waves
5. Vintage Warmer by PSP
6. PAZ Analyzer by Waves

This is actually accurate.... It was taken from Axwell's Macbook screen itself :P Although they do claim to run it through an actual SSL console at some point to use the bus compressor.
if you look closely though, they have everything bypassed except the gain plugin and paz analyzer, yet they do admit to using something on the master that they wont tell... im assuming they are talking about t-racks but again, its bypassed in the video so who knows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➡️
Er weiß zu viel...
Der Spion, der zu viel trank. (English: "The Man Who Knew Too Much")
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica ➡️
What if that mastering engineer didn't do anything, because nothing was needed and won a grammy? heh
Wouldn't be the first.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide ➡️
Der Spion, der zu viel trank. (English: "The Man Who Knew Too Much")
Trank? LOL.......der besoffene Spion.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's what I suspect since 50 years, nevertheless we pay the bills, respectively the record company pays it.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
This one is even more to the point:

"Wenn man was kann ist es keine Kunst. Wenn man nichts kann erst recht nicht."

or

"Stress entsteht wenn das Gehirn dem Körper verbietet jemandem in den Arsch zu treten der es eigendlich verdient hat."

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Lachs und Trinkspruch?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➡️
Lachs und Trinkspruch?
No.

We are drunk 24/7 with or without canapé !
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide ➡️
"Stress entsteht wenn das Gehirn dem Körper verbietet jemandem in den Arsch zu treten der es eigendlich verdient hat."
lol heh

🎧 10 years
how did we get from swedish mastering to german weisheiten heh

🎧 15 years
Quote:
how did we get from swedish mastering to german weisheiten heh
maybe because the Swedish mastering secret is a schnaps idea (German: "Schnapsidee") from Finland?
Old 15th December 2011 | Show parent

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x ➡️
Mastering engineers don't win Grammys. . .

Except for for Surround Album, Album of The Year, and Historial Album.

Best,
"Record of the Year" goes to artist, producer, record, mix and mastering engineers.
Old 20th December 2011

🎧 15 years
actually, I am not familiar with logic... is blue the color of the plugin when it is bypassed or active?
Old 21st December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer ➡️
There are no secret mastering chains and anyone that tells you there are is pulling yours.

Agreed again!

Nonetheless, on the topic of the Db-d dynamics processor, Yes, it is a plug, that's had its share of good reviews, maybe not so many in mastering, but, on an overall basis, it's a worthy plug.

KAyo
Old 21st December 2011

🎧 10 years
there are no secret chains, the plugins maybe account for %10 of the final result. i know SHM uses some analog summing and hardware SSL compression. laidback luke is 100% in the box.

the only secret to that loud sound is learning how to use the various metering types and and the oscilloscope to aid you in compression. the compressor is sort of like the eraser tool in photoshop, imagine you have a collage of images but neglected to remove the rough edges around each sampled photo, the result would look (sound) shitty. go through your sounds and clean the peaks, the meters and osc scope will help you not to fck it up and kill dynamics.

but think about it, i can peak limit most sounds by at least a db without even noticing a difference, if you managed to do that on every channel without changing the sound, imagine how much louder your mix would be at the end. before i do any creative compression for color, my goal is to remove peaks via saturation, limiting or compression in a way that i don't decrease the original RMS reading, so it's JUST the peak getting removed transparently. most limiters have output attenuation so the gain can be brought down after the peak removal, Floating POint is the SHIT!

just don't overdo it, if you adopt this workflow it will be very easy to understand what's fueling loudness wars
Old 12th January 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt ➡️
Sorry to burst the bubble, but there is no secret mastering chain, no secret parameters.

The answer is a great production and a great mix.

Once you've got those two things it's mostly a question of not ****ing it up at the mastering stage. Nothing secret about that.

It's a great story though, like an ancient cult that shares THE SECRET MASTERING CHAIN. Maybe Dan Brown should write a book about it.
I totally agree with this>

There are no rules. If your a mixing or mastering engineer its the same out look as a car mech. You just know what tool is right for the job at that time and a man is only as good as his tools. Yes you can do all the things every plugin can do with just a comp and eq but knowing is all you need to know. lol. You can have two of the same car but with two diff drivers the same prob from the same cars may need diff tools. No one song is the same.
Old 13th January 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer ➡️
Sure we do, though we clearly label out special boxes because we are that confident.

Here is a shot of my console in full "TITS" mode. The ASS button on the right enables a very special dial that actually ands more ass to mixes.

Try hard to not be Jealous.
that just made my day
📝 Reply