The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler TG2 as mastering console
Old 26th November 2010

🎧 10 years
Chandler TG2 as mastering console

Hello,

I´m planning to get a Chandler TG2 preamp. I will use it for tracking, but I also consider using it as a mastering tool, to add punch and colour, along with my Drawmer ME1968.
Would this be a good mastering chain? I never tried to master recordings out of the box before, so I´m not sure how this would work, or the actual connections. I guess I should use two outputs , direct them thorugh the chain, and re-record to two inputs. Wouldn´t this degrade the sound instead of improving it, leaving digital domain?

I´m using logic express with a firewire EDIROL FA66 card.

thanks for your comments.

cheers
Old 26th November 2010

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil ➡️
Hello,

I´m planning to get a Chandler TG2 preamp. I will use it for tracking, but I also consider using it as a mastering tool, to add punch and colour, along with my Drawmer ME1968.
Would this be a good mastering chain? I never tried to master recordings out of the box before, so I´m not sure how this would work, or the actual connections. I guess I should use two outputs , direct them thorugh the chain, and re-record to two inputs. Wouldn´t this degrade the sound instead of improving it, leaving digital domain?

I´m using logic express with a firewire EDIROL FA66 card.

thanks for your comments.

cheers

You have to decide if a process/tool/setting is really helping or hurting your mix. Try it out and see if you're happy with the net gain/loss.
Old 26th November 2010 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Verified Member
146 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I guess what would probably degrade your signal is the ad/da loop on that Edirol FA66.
Old 26th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
firewire EDIROL FA66 card
?? you are joking right? you need a mininum of mastering grade converters, lavry, benchmark, apogee or mytek in order not to kill the quality of your music.

I d rather stay in digital, than use low quality converter
Old 27th November 2010 | Show parent
Deleted 691ca21
i get great results going from an echo audiofire 12 to a pair of chandler germanium compressors to a thermionic culture pullet eq to a chandler TG2 and then back into the audiofire 12.

i do intend to upgrade my converters next year, but as it stands, i personally feel that the improvement in sound i get from running through all that nice analogue outboard, trumps the loss in sound quality from so called "inferior" converters.

so i say go for it! the TG2 is a gorgeous piece of kit and can work really well on a mix. it can accept line level signals, but you might want to attenuate them a bit before you hit it, for a cleaner sound.
Old 27th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the TG-2 on masters from time to time. Had some great results actually Lately though...it's a bit too soft/fuzzy.
📝 Reply