Quantcast
taking "all digital eq's sound the same" to the next level - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
taking "all digital eq's sound the same" to the next level
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
taking "all digital eq's sound the same" to the next level

in the infamous "all digital eq's sound the same" discussion, what keeps popping up is that the advantage of shelling out a few hundred bucks for a vintage style digital eq is instant access to classic curves.

indeed. but what if you reverse-engineered those curves and implemented them in some kind of plugin building program? after all, if all minimum phase digital eq's are the same, it's just a question of sending the right coefficients to a biquad... so i decided to try to recreate one band of the abbey road
TG12412 tone eq in max4live. the result is attached. (the TG12412 is part of the abbey road mastering pack: $335 native, $560 tdm)

it's a shameless (and pretty bad) photoshop hack, although putting the graphics in made it sound a lot better i did it for personal and educational purposes only, so i won't be sending it around in this form. i'm willing to post the coefficients though.

so how does it sound? i can null the original to -70db-80db, and the residual is mainly low frequencies. i think this residual is due to slightly different values for the coefficients, internal rate and dithering, etc. but the results are so close that i can hardly believe there's something more than a standard biquad going on in the tg12412.

so the tg12412 itself seems to be nothing special really. there is no harmonic distortion and the q isn't frequency or gain dependent. just a standard biquad does the job. it could be that there are band dependencies that i missed because i only did one band, but i doubt it.

that's not to say the tg12412 doesn't sound good! i'm just saying there's no special magic in there.
so i have the idea that the filters of the tg12414 and the brilliance pack aren't that hard to copy as well.

with all this in mind, i think you should read the reviews of the mastering pack at the abbey road website. it certainly put a smile on my face.

if anyone's interested, i can upload audio clips. just tell me what you would like to hear.
Attached Thumbnails
taking "all digital eq's sound the same" to the next level-clone.jpg  
Old 16th August 2010
kjg
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
nice one!

so you did one of the curves, right? or all five? maybe the blunt and sharp (or whatever their names are) would be trickier? probably not. biquad coeffs would be appreciated.

thanks,
klaas-jan
Old 16th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg โžก๏ธ
nice one!

so you did one of the curves, right? or all five? maybe the blunt and sharp (or whatever their names are) would be trickier? probably not. biquad coeffs would be appreciated.

thanks,
klaas-jan
everything you see in that max4live plugin works. so all 5 curves and all 5 frequencies. and both controls are stepped, like on the original. gain is continuous and has the same range as the tg12412. so any setting on the low-mid band of the tg12412 can be nulled in a matter of seconds.

blunt and sharp are nothing special, just a specific q factor, totally independent of gain or frequency.

i'll post the coefficients once i'm back in the studio.

ps: kjg... mr govaart, i presume...?
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes, this is very easy to do (and has been done, see eg. Christian Budde's homepage).
I don't actually even use a Pultec-clone when I don't need distortion, because the famous curves are quite simple to replicate in a general-purpose EQ.

If you're into analyzing, check what the brilliance pack does.
Old 16th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn โžก๏ธ
Yes, this is very easy to do (and has been done, see eg. Christian Budde's homepage).
I don't actually even use a Pultec-clone when I don't need distortion, because the famous curves are quite simple to replicate in a general-purpose EQ.

If you're into analyzing, check what the brilliance pack does.
replicating curves is indeed very easy, but i didn't just replicate the curves. i also replicated the flow of working with (1 band of) the tg12412 plugin. as i see it, just replicating curves with a general purpose parametric eq is to similar to using a generic midi controller to control a softsynth emulation of hardware. although you have control, it will never feel like the hardware synth.

will check the brilliance pack soon, thanks.
๐Ÿ“ Reply