ATR mastering decks
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
I did a dub EP yesterday, the chain was 1/2" tape 15 ips, Sontec EQ, Tube-Tech SMC 2B. We were all really pleased with the results!
Yeah I've been laying back to tape a bit recently, depends on the mixes of course but everyone's been happy and not just because of the notion of going to tape either.

Still on my dwindling stocks of GP-9 scarily!

The King
Old 30th November 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've got a ATR 104 in great shape here For sale

PM me I've got a ATR 104 here for sale if you want more info let me know i'm asking 6000 USD I would be happy to send you pictures.
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not for sale.

Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson ➡️
Tape has a "settling in" component.
That's also known as self erasure which is very common with high energy cassette formulations like metal particle tapes. Apparently these tapes continue to deteriorate over the years.

James.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp ➡️
That's also known as self erasure which is very common with high energy cassette formulations like metal particle tapes. Apparently these tapes continue to deteriorate over the years.
Aiui, the great majority of self-erasure is confined to the first few hours after recording. Old masters (and especially MRL tapes) that still reproduce flat and sound great is evidence that it isn't a continual process of loss.

When I bought an ATR years ago it came with a bunch of MRL's from the 1970's and 20kHz is down like 0.5dB fourty years later.

DC
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
My vintage red oxide acetate (Scotch 111) Ampex 31321-01 alignment tape from 1964 is still right on the money.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
My vintage red oxide acetate (Scotch 111) Ampex 31321-01 alignment tape from 1964 is still right on the money.
I think there is also a relationship between "high energy" tapes and increased self-erasure.

DC
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
1/2" with Flux extended response heads. +6, 30 IPS for my mixes. Transformerless penthouse courtesy of Waltzing Bear Audio, aka Alan Garren. Not crazy about how big the bass sounds when played back in repro on these extended response heads. Sounds better played back on the A80 VU sitting next to it in my studio.

Amazing machine.
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Yep it's October 2016, 6+ years after this thread ran, and I'm still using our ATR-102 for tons of layback mastering.
Clients request it and love it. But not on every mastering session, probably about 50%.
Love the head bump down at 30-40Hz.
Since my original post I've replaced the record and repro heads, new FLUX heads, and worn out dozens of reels of tape!
Nowadays I buy 1/2" pancakes of ATR tape directly from ATR, love talking to their friendly staff on the phone.
Our ATR was rebuilt by David Hough, the audio director of Austin City Limits, & and wizard of analog audio.
Also the late great Mike Spitz was of great assistance to us, as ATR Services provided much support in the process.
Keeping a forty year old tape machine running is a labor of love, but well worth it.
High Kudos to all the real mastering engineers out there using tape, it's a brotherhood of sorts, a great tradition.
Best, JT
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic ➡️
Not for sale.

Sold my Ampex 300-4 and the 350-2. The ATR is still not for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
ATR mastering decks-ampex_atr_1.jpg  
📝 Reply