The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Relife plugin
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Relife plugin

'Bring back life to a heavy clipped audiofile.
Revolutionary way to recover transients and warmth.'... at least, that's what it says here;

Terry West Productions V.O.F.

Anyone tried this? Could come in handy...
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looks interesting mate. I'll test it in a bit - might get to use it on one of those metal projects

EDIT: Just looked at the before / after jpg. 'Looks' pretty impressive.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I didn't realise you'd already endorsed it mate, you should have said.

I mean.... this is you isn't it?

Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Terry has somehow devised away to revive the dynamics from a heavily compressed track. I tried it on a Nickelback song that I heavily compressed/limited and it restored dynamics.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most importantly, how does it sound? How much does it actually decongest the sound?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej ➑️
Most importantly, how does it sound? How much does it actually decongest the sound?
Why not download plug-in and listen for yourself?

The quality will vary based on how much compression was used. Some tracks are butchered with compression/limiting to the point of being destroyed. Under those conditions the plug-in won't be able fix the damages while recovering the dynamics.

When there is very little to no compression the dB level will drop upon engaging the plug-in. However, with a good amount of compression, the plug-in will minimise the compression and the dB levels will increase based on the amount of gain used pre-dating the compression.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I can't stop watching the videos.
Old 25th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➑️
'Bring back life to a heavy clipped audiofile.
Revolutionary way to recover transients and warmth.'
A giant step in the world of audio would be if people could concentrate on doing great stuff by themselves instead of specualting in what other peoples stuff might have appeared like.

Complaining about others bad sound (something subjective), while actively trying to make things sound good (something subjective), is a gigantic waste of time - in every field and aspect one can imagine (incl mastering).

Regards
Patrik
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I didn't realise you'd already endorsed it mate, you should have said.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL'd

Oh, this plugin isn't bad. Certainly could be a part of my collection of dynamics "recovery" tools... would be a lot nicer if it had a wet/dry mix on it, so we don't have to sidechain manually.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just tried it out for a sec. Clipped some audio a couple different ways. Soft and hard digital clip done ITB. Works better for hard clips as I expected. Does make the snare come back to life a bit. Tried to match levels with phase inversion and noticed that for some reason the relifed track didn't cancel the low end right. Did sound better soled. Seems to help. Need to play with it more on a better monitoring setup. Also overemphasizes smaller transients put overall the relifed version was preferable to the clipped version when volume matched in my 2 minute demo of it.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
So on the site there is a free v1.1 and a commercial 1.3, but cant see the differences?

Are you all trying the free 1.1 version?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMNIFEX ➑️
Why not download plug-in and listen for yourself?
Not running Windows right now...
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I down loaded version 1.1, the free ware version, and tried it on some clipped tracks. It did some strange things to the mix including collapsing the sound field and reducing the bass but it did seem to make the clipping less noticeable. I will keep on trying it on different material. Sometime it may come in handy and the price is certainly affordable. <GRIN>
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…