Quantcast
Windows Media Player and 88.2kHz - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows Media Player and 88.2kHz
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Windows Media Player and 88.2kHz

So I'm mixing a young band's album right now and provide them with both 320kbps mp3s and the 88.2/24bit wavs for checking the mixes.
I advised them to check with the hires-files, of course.

The band insisted that on all mixes there was something like a wrongly set master comp which pulled things down a bit when everybody was playing.

I thought, well they seem to have golden ears and notice the SSL-comp doing too much. I rechecked everything but didn't hear an issue, not even on my B&Ws.

Today I got a mail that the issue happened only when they played the 88.2-files through the Windows Media Player. When they switched to VLC, everything's fine. Whew, I don't have to recall everything, thankgod. (analogue mix).

WTF? Did any of you guys ever notice this strange behaviour? Has the WMP problems with hires-files?

I ask because I'm on Mac and cannot check myself.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Windows Media Player does support plugins, and does have a few built in audio fx of its own. Mainly the volume normalization, and SRS WOW (as in WOW that sounds awful) and SRS TrueBass (as in distorted mess)

Make sure they have those off... They are in the file menu "View -> Enhancements ->"

Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
they assured me that any plugin/'enhancement' was disabled.
That was the first thing I asked..
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…