The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A sign of things to come??
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I prefer USB bracelets, the audio looks much better.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➡️
No doubt, but how large? Will it outsell SACD?

DC
lol
Just was thinking how a single troop of Girl Scouts probably sells more individual cookies than any retailer ever sells SACD's.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➡️
lol
Just was thinking how a single troop of Girl Scouts probably sells more individual cookies than any retailer ever sells SACD's.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
How many Girl Scout cookies have you guys bought? And SACDs? I know that my GS cookie consumption outstrips my SACD consumption, and I sure don't buy many cookies.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo ➡️
How many Girl Scout cookies have you all bought? And SACDs? I know that my GS cookie consumption outstrips my SACD consumption, and I sure don't buy a lot of cookies.
I've alone eaten more thin mints than the entire number of labels that have ever released an SACD.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've alone eaten more thin mints than the entire number of labels that have ever released an SACD.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Mmmmm... shortbread...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I like thin mints.

I recently bought an 96/24 download to see what all the hoohah was about, sounds pretty good. Whether it will have an audience other than audio "enthusiasts." remains to be seen.

DC
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like think mints.

I recently bought a 96/24 download to see what all the hoohah was about, sounds pretty good. Whether it will have a audience other that audio "enthusiasts." remains to be seen.

DC
Hmm... pretty high error rate in that post. Did you write in low-res, no dither?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo ➡️
I wonder if they're using audiophile hard drives?
In Kryptonite enclosures, or do they require antimatter?

Quote:
Those are verboten around our house! (the thin-mints that is)

JT
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The IDE sounds awesome!

CD Mastering - The Digital Myth

Hope this helps!

DC
I switched back to IDE since the SATA drives were giving me this harsh 2004 digital sound - I prefere the warmer 90ies IDE sound!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like thin mints.

I recently bought an 96/24 download to see what all the hoohah was about, sounds pretty good. Whether it will have an audience other than audio "enthusiasts." remains to be seen.

DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➡️
Hmm... pretty high error rate in that post. Did you write in low-res, no dither?
Robin, this is not Daves fault - his post looks fine here.
You probably need a propperly calibrated readback system! The J-System that I am about to get a patent for suggests the use of a jitter immune LCD display, controlled ambient light and the use of synchronous DSL connection. This could help you setting up a critical reading room...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I can understand the stopping off making cd-players. I should know more about consumer-hifi and which way that's going ... computerbased and therefore higer resolution playback ???? ... labels going to offer downloads at all kinds off resolution, combined with intersting background info in words/pictures/movies ... or just enjoy listening ...

check this link from a interesting label in Norway ..

Label: 2L FLAC 192kHz 24 bit*/*2L*-*Powered by Klicktrack MDT

&

2L - the Nordic Sound

maybe al nice market, but with an interesting repetoire and buying client-database headed for succes ...

Last edited by inlinenl; 24th November 2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: bad spelling all the time :-(
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa janisch ➡️
Robin, this is not Daves fault - his post looks fine here.
You probably need a propperly calibrated readback system! The J-System that I am about to get a patent for suggests the use of a jitter immune LCD display, controlled ambient light and the use of synchronous DSL connection. This could help you setting up a critical reading room...
Some great legerephile advice there!

In this case, I think it was just his error correction mechanism kicking in, right after I hit the quote button.
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The LP originally had an audience mostly of audio "enthusiasts" and folks buying birthday presents for their kids.

Then Mo Ostin started making gorgeously packaged jazz LPs and jazz fans began buying albums rather than singles. He got hired by Sinatra to run Reprise. They bought Warner Brothers, the same philosophy of quality was applied to pop music and most people started buying albums rather than singles.

Thirty years later everybody got greedy and forgot about why people had started buying albums rather than singles.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Thirty years later everybody got greedy and forgot about why people had started buying albums rather than singles.
...and now singles are on the rise again and the full length is in decline.

BPI | 2009 Is Record Year For UK Singles Sales
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SACD is very healthy still.

http://www.sa-cd.net/titles

as for the CD vs HDD thing..

with a computer you arent dealing with the transport/mechanism, no laser, etc..thats the point they were getting at.

Audiophiles are nuts, and a lot of what is out there is utter bull****,

BUT... i have a great deal of respect for them as a whole..they are seemingly the only ones carrying the torch for good sonics...

joe public is deaf. ears of tin.

I am very happy to see vinyl coming back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco ➡️
Nice! I'm probably not listening to the right artists, the artists I listen to have everything else but credits to their albums on their websites, such as tour dates, fan club info, ringtones, swag stores, etc. but I can't see who mixed their album, who mastered it, at what studio, publishing info etc.

There's also a lot of albums that I like that were made before 2001, I wonder when their websites are going to magically pop up online and give me the information I need.

You got any examples of say, five albums where the artists have all their credits online? ;-)
Ya I hate this as well. Getting harder to find out who did what. I use

Discogs - Database and Marketplace for Music on Vinyl, CD, Cassette, MP3 and More

But it's rarely complete or perfect.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd ➡️
Oxygen free, pointing in the orrect direction. in a titanium carriage, suspended in oil so as not to be affected by air, and to be perfectly damped...they'll sound better i'm sure they will.
Don't forget the cables must be aligned with the magnetic field lines of the Earth and re-aligned according to the position of the moon at any given moment.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar G. Hinde ➡️
Don't forget the cables must be aligned with the magnetic field lines of the Earth and re-aligned according to the position of the moon at any given moment.
I spent 14 hours with the audiophiles yesterday. One guy actually had the special hair dryer that you blow on CD's. My neck is still sore from shaking my head.

DC
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
One guy actually had the special hair dryer that you blow on CD's.
I use my shirt. It works pretty well depending on how long I've had it on.

Mychal
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakly ➡️
I use my shirt. It works pretty well depending on how long I've had it on.
I case you think I'm making this stuff up, here is the hair dryer along with the requisite "CD demagnetizer" because you know how those things will pull the keys out of your pocket otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
A sign of things to come??-science.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
here is the hair dryer along with the requisite "CD demagnetizer" because you know how those things will pull the keys out of your pocket otherwise.
Ha ha! heh

Wow.

Mychal
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Does it have settings for gold or aluminum?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I spent 14 hours with the audiophiles yesterday. One guy actually had the special hair dryer that you blow on CD's. My neck is still sore from shaking my head.
Someone needs to tell Larry David there's a third way.

What was the occasion for your 14-hour tour? And, will there be further pictures?

-dave
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I case you think I'm making this stuff up, here is the hair dryer along with the requisite "CD demagnetizer" because you know how those things will pull the keys out of your pocket otherwise.
and the brush would be for? ... applying green dye to the sides, right?
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So what's the hairblower for - to make them sound warmer?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➡️
SACD is very healthy still.

http://www.sa-cd.net/titles
ummm.... not trying to be negative by default on this - but actually a site that tracks only 6175 titles issued over a 6 year period kind of points to me more towards failure than "health." The past couple of years RIAA even stopped bothering listing SACD sales as its own line item on their year end market reports.

To give a sense of scale the amount of releases on iTunes is equivalent to about at least 200,000 albums....

Quote:
I am very happy to see vinyl coming back.
Me too. At around 4 million units being sold in North American this past year it's not like this is an "industry changing" factor though - but it has indeed shown a really nice bounce back in the last 3 years.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
The LP originally had an audience mostly of audio "enthusiasts" and folks buying birthday presents for their kids.

Then Mo Ostin started making gorgeously packaged jazz LPs and jazz fans began buying albums rather than singles. He got hired by Sinatra to run Reprise. They bought Warner Brothers, the same philosophy of quality was applied to pop music and most people started buying albums rather than singles.

Some good history and perspective Bob.

As a kid, I could save lunch money for a couple days and buy a single, but buying an LP was a special event.

One year ('68) I asked for Jimi Hendrix' "Electric Ladyland" for Christmas (my parents must've thought I was nuts). My best friend got the White Album, so we would trade & time share. Shortly after that I got my driver's license, a job, and was old enough to buy my own dang records...

Here in Austin the vinyl craze has really exploded, we're seeing lots of requests for more dynamic vinyl prep mastering, and separate hotter mastering for CD/digital download. So I'm often making two passes on each song.

Cheers - JT
📝 Reply