Quantcast
Monitoring - Lavry and Tonelux - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitoring - Lavry and Tonelux
Old 9th November 2009
Monitoring - Lavry and Tonelux

Hi all, i have recently setup a Lavry Blue AD/DA setup alongside my PT rig, which includes a 192. I have my Lavry setup in my sessions digital I/O setup. My routing is as such.

Tonelux master bus out - outboard - lavry a/d - pt stereo aux input set to lavry a/d and the aux channels output is set to lavry d/a - tonelux stereo aux monitor in to monitor final process. When i bounce the mix i set the bouncing routing option to lavry d/a...and all bounces seem fine, except, monitoring the final process via the lavry d/a into tonelux aux monitor in is insanely hot, and i windup having to dim my tonelux monitor setup, otherwise the master rotary fader is one or two clicks from off. I feel like i might be overloading my tonelux's aux in, because my masters are sounding a bit more distorted in house verses a reference CD i play outside.

How do you guys deal with the hot levels back into your monitor section? Are you compensating via your speaker amps, or is there something else i'm missing here?

I don't do pro mastering, I'm an engineer / producer and my needs are more for Ref. CD's to artist, management, and labels.

Sorry for the long winded question. Any responses would be appreciated.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➑️
How do you guys deal with the hot levels back into your monitor section? Are you compensating via your speaker amps, or is there something else i'm missing here?
Have you tried turning the output of the Lavry down with the trimmers on the front panel?

DC
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I don't understand why U've got different levels from montoring the process of bouncing files(realtime mastering process),and monitoring the bounced files(mastered files)???
May be I've got it wrong.
Anyway check your chain gain first,load a cd mastered song in your session,playback through lavry da into tonelux monitor in,set the right level to listen(eventually trim your DA if this does not feed the tonelux line in rightly(I'm sure this it's not the case)or monitor in output fader down if it's just too volume).
I use a coleman m3,not a tonelux module,but I'm sure it's up to spec with any other monitor in analogue console master module,so not problem to accept a normal line in balanced signal(that's what's coming out from your lavry DA).

Luca
ORC
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➑️
Have you tried turning the output of the Lavry down with the trimmers on the front panel?

DC
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➑️

DC
Will trimming the output on the Blue not lower my bounce level in pro tools. I'm assuming the trim pots are physically after all of that. Either way i will give it a shot. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe1550 ➑️
I don't understand why U've got different levels from montoring the process of bouncing files(realtime mastering process),and monitoring the bounced files(mastered files)???
May be I've got it wrong.

Luca
Yes, the levels are matched between bouncing and monitoring the bounce. The levels are extremely hot because of the quasi mastering I'm doing for my reference mixes. Monitoring the post eq / compression / limiting which is hammering the aux input on my tonelux unit. I can dim the the monitor section, but I'm thinking this is not ideal.

I was wondering how mastering consoles are setup. For instance I'm assuming there's a pre and post processing monitor selection on the desk. And since the post processing signal is nuclear in comparison to the levels of the unprocessed signal, how do these desks deal with incoming hot signals. Is there some type of trim built into the desk that drops the level -18 dB or whatever there might be?
ORC
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Can you use the trims on the lavry going to the tonelux so that your reference level is sitting at about -14 to -18 dbfs? I think this is about how hard you'd want to be hittng the inputs of any peice of anlog gear that handles +4 input levels. With the tonelux there is going to be a sweet spot where things sound killer, I'd be willing to wager that this sweet spot is going to be somewhenre between -12 dbfs and -18 dbfs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORC ➑️
Can you use the trims on the lavry going to the tonelux so that your reference level is sitting at about -14 to -18 dbfs? I think this is about how hard you'd want to be hittng the inputs of any peice of anlog gear that handles +4 input levels. With the tonelux there is going to be a sweet spot where things sound killer, I'd be willing to wager that this sweet spot is going to be somewhenre between -12 dbfs and -18 dbfs.
You nailed it. I trimmed the level on the D/A way back down to -18 even tried it down as far as -24, and both sounded fantastic. I'm not sure where it will live yet, but my speakers sound so much better....thanks to all for the help. For some stupid reason i thought the trim would effect the bounce level, not realizing that made no sense at all. Brain fart.
ORC
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Great!!! If you go with -18dbfs you'll never have to worry about ever clipping the tonelux. If you go with -14dbfs it might give the tonelux a little more mojo but you could potentially get into clipping. Personally I think -18dbfs is where its at. That way stuff that peaks at or near 0dbfs will always stay clean for you.

Glad you got it working!

Last edited by ORC; 10th November 2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: more info
πŸ“ Reply