ISRC codes in a wav file without burning - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISRC codes in a wav file without burning
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ISRC codes in a wav file without burning

Hello guys,

I read several threads about this and I was wondering if anyone knows if now there is a way to put the ISRC codes in a wav file without burning it.

I have a couple of remixes which will be released only on digital format, I need to send them to the label, they sent me the codes but for what I read on the board is not possible to put the code in the wav file, right? I mean still there is no way to do it?

If not, seeing the tracks will be on iTunes, what can I do?
Burning the cd with the codes and then extract the tracks and send them?
Will they have the code in that way? (i think they won't..but..)

I'm on a pc

Thank you in advance!
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Last time i checked, ISRC codes are for cataloging CD releases...
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well yes, but aren't they also used for the digital format? I mean to identify the track for royalty payments? Why they asked me to put the codes in for iTunes?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One can insert ISRC codes as a general comment in the wav header (done this on request a couple of times). You can do this, for example, using Steinberg's Wavelab. But it's just a comment attached; there's no provision for embedding isrc and thus there's no application that would read it by default. I.e. it's just for reference.

Regarding digital releases: In my experience so far it has always been the label that compiles the actual itunes (or other digital) release itself. That's when the codes (along with the digital artwork, names & copyrights) are attached.

I wonder who we could blame for the fact that itunes release authoring isn't routinely done at the mastering studio... what a potentially big chunk of business that completely passed us by.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They are used to track digital downloads and royalties for radio plays etc etc..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks you all guys, so the only thing I can actually do is put the code on the header (or and metadata as well maybe?) to the label will do the rest.

Thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➑️
Thanks you all guys, so the only thing I can actually do is put the code on the header (or and metadata as well maybe?) to the label will do the rest.

Thanks a lot!
Seeing it's usually the label assigning the ISRC codes, they should have them already, attaching them usually serves no purpose. Regarding the digital release, you're essentially just the middleman here
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
:D
Yeah, in fact they give them to me so they do have them, thing is for the album they gave me the codes, I passed them to the ME and that was it, but now I have the wav files of the remixes other artists did, already mastered, label gave me the codes, only these songs won't be printed on cd, I assumed I had to put them in the files but maybe they gave 'em to me just cuz..

I'm confused, I give up! :D
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The only true way to "embed" the ISRC on the wav file currently is to "watermark" the audio signal. Basically a specific noise pattern is entered into the signal (usually added during busier parts of the file) and can be read back by proprietary software. This is very exspensive and for someone just looking to release an independent album it doesn't make financial sense. When files are usually uploaded for iTunes sales or other digital distributors, the files are encoded into another file type that has more metadata information such as an mp3 or aac.

Here is some more info on watermarking:
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~aupward/w/watermarking.htm
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
There are different programs out there that can add metadata to a .wav file, it really depends on the destination of the file, and if their system can lift the metadata from your file(s).

For example, Adobe Audition 3 has the ability to add metadata to regular ol' .wav files and even has a "Radio Industry" set of text fields; not sure if ISRC is one of them as I'm not in front of my DAW right now to know for sure. It's based on some kind of standard that is supported by the radio industry (and it's not expensive at all).

Digging around the web, I found this description from an Adobe help file:

"In Adobe Audition, you can embed text‑based data in Windows .wav files that use the RIFF LIST INFO and DISP type 1 formats, and you can embed standard ID3 tag information in .mp3 files. Provided that other audio editors support this information, it remains with an audio file throughout its lifetime. The options in the Text Fields tab depend on the setting you choose for Text Field Names: Standard RIFF, Radio Industry, or MP3 (ID3 Tag). Radio Industry format accommodates information for commercials and other types of audio files used by radio broadcasters. MP3 (ID3 Tag) format allows you to tag the opened .mp3 file with ID3v2.3‑compatible data."

The real question would be if any given radio station can grab the info from the files based on the formats given above.
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just spotted this topic as I have another problem witht the ol ISRC codes.

Ive just had a PMCD back from the mastering house, but they've messed up the track names and ISRC codes (the CD play through correctly buty the track names and codes are in the wrong order).

Ive asked to get the PMCD re-done, but I have to send the tracks off for digital release. Will the ISRC codes and tracks names (the wrong ones) still be embedded if I upload the track to my computer and send those off? Or can they be changed before being released digitally?

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam Sound ➑️
Just spotted this topic as I have another problem witht the ol ISRC codes.

Ive just had a PMCD back from the mastering house, but they've messed up the track names and ISRC codes (the CD play through correctly buty the track names and codes are in the wrong order).

Ive asked to get the PMCD re-done, but I have to send the tracks off for digital release. Will the ISRC codes and tracks names (the wrong ones) still be embedded if I upload the track to my computer and send those off? Or can they be changed before being released digitally?

Thanks.
whatever service you use to prep/upload tracks to itunes should be able to fix the track names and isrc

itunes producer or whatever they are currently using has input fields for the tagging and whatnot
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX ➑️
whatever service you use to prep/upload tracks to itunes should be able to fix the track names and isrc

itunes producer or whatever they are currently using has input fields for the tagging and whatnot
Oh ok. So they should be able to fix the names/codes before they are uploaded?

Thanks.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As has been already been noted - you can indeed place an ISRC into a comments field in a BWF wav file's metadata. Sound Devices' Wave Agent is one cross platform freeware that can do this - Wave Agent | Sound Devices, LLC

HOWEVER - it should be strongly noted that when converting from this wav file to a file type used for digital distribution (i.e. mp3, m4a, aac, wma, FLAC, ogg, etc.) that uses the id3 tagging standard - the new file format will NOT retain or embed this ISRC!!!

It will in fact have to be manually re-entered into the dedicated ISRC id3 tag for the files that are to be distributed at that point!

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh ok. So they should be able to fix the names/codes before they are uploaded?

Thanks.
Just to add to this: ISRC codes don't actually "live" on the tracks - unless they are MP3's. Otherwise, they are embedded on the actual physical medium. But services like Tunecore and the like do have the option to assign your codes and titles to each track, so no worries.
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
Just to add to this: ISRC codes don't actually "live" on the tracks - unless they are MP3's. Otherwise, they are embedded on the actual physical medium. But services like Tunecore and the like do have the option to assign your codes and titles to each track, so no worries.
So even if I send off the .wav's from the PMCD, the track names and ISRC's will have to be re-entered anyway?

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So even if I send off the .wav's from the PMCD, the track names and ISRC's will have to be re-entered anyway?

Thanks.
Short answer YES - they will have to be re-entered.

Long answer:
First, ISRC's embedded in a CD's TOC will NOT be automatically embedded when a wav or aiff file is "ripped" from a CD's track!!

Second, ISRC's embedded in a bwf wav file's metadata will NOT be automatically embedded when an mp3 or other typically used digital download file format is created from this wav file!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
Short answer YES - they will have to be re-entered.

Long answer:
First, ISRC's embedded in a CD's TOC will NOT be automatically embedded when a wav or aiff file is "ripped" from a CD's track!!

Second, ISRC's embedded in a bwf wav file's metadata will NOT be automatically embedded when an mp3 or other typically used digital download file format is created from this wav file!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Great.

Many thanks!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If I've got the ISRC's, I will put em into every type of file I make for the client, inc Wav's N 320 MP3's.
Old 29th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone ➑️
If I've got the ISRC's, I will put em into every type of file I make for the client, inc Wav's N 320 MP3's.
How do u put em into your 320 MP3s that go out to clients. BTW I'm on a Mac. I see a lot of freeware on the internet, mainly for PC. Do u use one of these programs?
Old 30th August 2012
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Use this:

Jaikoz Audio Tagger

It's only $30. No need to go for the "Pro" version since the added features are only related to database server queries.
Old 30th August 2012
Deleted 691ca21
couldn't you just put them in the regular "comment" section of the meta-data/id tag? i know this would be easy with mp3, not sure about .wav. something like foobar2k lets you add new headings of your own in the meta-data.
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't see why people would even go through the hassle of embedding them for digital release, since it's most likely not getting tracked via any form of meta-data anyway. Usually the aggregator or upload service (iTunes producer, etc) will have that field in their ingest forms/website, and they track it the way they want.

Just seems time wasted, no?
Old 31st August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith ➑️
I don't see why people would even go through the hassle of embedding them for digital release, since it's most likely not getting tracked via any form of meta-data anyway. Usually the aggregator or upload service (iTunes producer, etc) will have that field in their ingest forms/website, and they track it the way they want.

Just seems time wasted, no?
Yes. I would say u make a lot of sense. Ur right, embed em for what? To most likely not get recognized in this much-confused sea of ID3 tagging? If the client is persistent I'm gonna do what Babaluma said above...just add it in the comments field. There, settled. I think my client was just trying to stress me out for no reason.

Altho, the Jaikoz Audio Tagger looks like a good thing to have. I'll check it out. Thanks Lagerfeldt.
Old 13th March 2013
Here for the gear

There is a new (8/2012), official recommendation on putting ISRC codes in a WAV file. You'll need access to an app that can edit the <axml> chunk.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3352.pdf

The heart of this starts on page 8, section 3, followed by an example.
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentway ➑️
There is a new (8/2012), official recommendation on putting ISRC codes in a WAV file. You'll need access to an app that can edit the <axml> chunk.
Thanks for that silentway. Now if someone (IFPI? RIAA?) can enforce the ID3 standard, this can be of use.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another good example where the original MP3 spec failed miserably concerning making it mandatory to identify any digital audio streams...
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentway ➑️

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3352.pdf

The heart of this starts on page 8, section 3, followed by an example.
It seems you can now do this with the programs BWF MetaEdit and Media Monkey (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like the real WAV ISRC field appears to work correctly in both). Does anyone know if this functionality has been added to any other programs?
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter88 ➑️
It seems you can now do this with the programs BWF MetaEdit and Media Monkey (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like the real WAV ISRC field appears to work correctly in both). Does anyone know if this functionality has been added to any other programs?

Last time I checked (a few months ago) I didn't see any mention of it being doable in a DAW - although actually I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible in Pyramix.

BWF MetaEdit works well, seems to handle exhaustive options for tags including checksums, and is free, open source and cross-platform, so as long as it's not supported in whatever DAW you happen to use I suspect it will be the best option for this!
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter88 ➑️
πŸ“ Reply