Quantcast
the proper way to shine - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the proper way to shine
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the proper way to shine

Consistently when mastering (or mixing) I'll feel like something needs a little high-end on it. A colleague of mine said "never add high-end - take away some 250 or so, but never add high-end". I understand what he's saying, but I have a question.

If I drop the mud, or some low, and then have to raise the level a little bit - isn't that the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
There's nothing illegal about adding high end - That said, some EQ's add high end with much more "style" than others. Some can be very smooth, some silky, some grainy (could be in a good way, could be in a bad way - depends on the source), some very light and airy, some very lush and "musical" (for lack of a better term).

But for sure - If you have an urge to add high end, try it. If you have an urge to cut something else instead, cut it. If you want to try both, try them both.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
add sheen to your shine
Attached Thumbnails
the proper way to shine-nevesheen.jpg  
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkSaunders ➡️
If I drop the mud, or some low, and then have to raise the level a little bit - isn't that the same thing?
Not at all. Additive EQ'ing introduces phase shift to the audio. So does subtractive eq, but it's less audible since you're simultaneously reducing the volume of the effected frequencies. These artifacts are audible (though your ears may not have come to identify them yet), and is for all intents and purposes distortion.

That said, sometimes a little distortion is just the thing...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax ➡️
Not at all. Additive EQ'ing introduces phase shift to the audio. So does subtractive eq, but it's less audible since you're simultaneously reducing the volume of the effected frequencies. These artifacts are audible (though your ears may not have come to identify them yet), and is for all intents and purposes distortion.

That said, sometimes a little distortion is just the thing...
So, if I cut a bit of 250 then boost the overall, this would be still considered subtractive eq even though im still boosting the overall?
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkSaunders ➡️
So, if I cut a bit of 250 then boost the overall, this would be still considered subtractive eq even though im still boosting the overall?
that would be subtractive eq with a subsequent gain change to the signal.
no boosting using eq. only a level change.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good topic OP. . This topic explains something I noticed recently. I mainly cut eq and do a gain change. However, in M/S mode when I Mid cut with a 3db shelf at around 10Khz and add a little Side boost at 10kz I think I 'm hearing some phasing.

Could this be would I'm hearing? I'm using the MD3 Eq. How else could you get a nice side sheen with out boosting the eq. all I did was cut everything else.
📝 Reply