Quantcast
What to do when the master doesn't match? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to do when the master doesn't match?
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What to do when the master doesn't match?

I mastered a record for a punk band from 1/4" tape recently. The master I made was punchy, clean, the band loved it. They had a problem with the first run of CDs, seems as though the replication plant screwed up something they had caught. The second run got passed the band with no complaints. They gave me a copy which I just played last night. It sounds so much different. I've never had this problem before now. The clarity & vibe of the master isn't on the CD. It's too late to recall it, so what can I do? I'm definitely telling the band about it and possibly the label.
Old 11th February 2009
Mastering

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➡️
I mastered a record for a punk band from 1/4" tape recently. The master I made was punchy, clean, the band loved it. They had a problem with the first run of CDs, seems as though the replication plant screwed up something they had caught. The second run got passed the band with no complaints. They gave me a copy which I just played last night. It sounds so much different. I've never had this problem before now. The clarity & vibe of the master isn't on the CD. It's too late to recall it, so what can I do? I'm definitely telling the band about it and possibly the label.
I seem to recall another thread on this idea quite a while back. Anyway, the conclusion is that you should do a null test on your original digital master versus the pressed CDs that came out. If it's a bit-for-bit match then you have little objective leg to stand on, because no one has been able to prove a jitter argument. But if it's not a match then you can scream at them bloody murder!

Take a look for your copy of the original master and do some objective tests. Good luck, it seems that plant may have been a little less than competent having screwed up the first pressing somehow anyway.

BK
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Believe me, I already did a null test and it's WAY different. The RMS on the pressing is a bit lower but there's clipping so I suspect they played the premaster through a DAC to another system. Anyways, by the time they got me a copy of the CD (yesterday) it's already been distributed to the stores.

I've had plants lose premasters & such but the prints have always sounded like what was sent to them.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➡️
Believe me, I already did a null test and it's WAY different. The RMS on the pressing is a bit lower but there's clipping so I suspect they played the premaster through a DAC to another system. Anyways, by the time they got me a copy of the CD (yesterday) it's already been distributed to the stores.

Any reputable replication house should give you another pressing for free at least if you call them and explain the circumstances and send them the production master proving the difference.

TW
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I notice you said "Replication" and not "Duplication".
Replication means they burnt the discs, yeah? Duplication is pressing.
Maybe they used a ****ty burning program...
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Iridium ➡️
I notice you said "Replication" and not "Duplication".
Replication means they burnt the discs, yeah? Duplication is pressing.
Maybe they used a ****ty burning program...
No, You have that turned around.
Ed
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…