Quantcast
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night Mastering... - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night Mastering...
Old 28th December 2009 | Show parent
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando ➡️
If it falls apart on the radio more than other songs then it is a mix issue...especially if it is phase related...I applaud when people mix it like they want and stand by it...but if it seems light weight compared to other songs, it's failed as a radio mix...and after the year or two KOL just had you better believe there will be at least ten more songs of theirs being played on the radio...you can't hide behind art on this one...sounds like it isn;t cutting it on the radio....I usually love blaming the mastering guy, however this one falls squarely on the mixing guy....but we still don;t know what the band insisted on.. do we? I've worked with plenty of artists who laugh at me when I mention potential phase issues and insist that I pan it out anyway.

PS Old classics hold their own next to current music, so the excuse that radio crushes a good mix doesn't fly.
Yep, nailed it. The KOL record was mixed with a very specific sound intended, one which sounds markedly different from most other records when played against them. Which is fine. But it is what it is.
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
...All the radio stations I've done technical consulting for store their audio as full 16bit WAV files. I've never come across a commercial station that stores them as mp3s.
I'm sure the BBC probably does the same but here in the U.S. the big station owners jumped on early hard drive automation systems just as soon as they became available in an effort to save money on salaries.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➡️
AFN (American Forces Network) transmit their program here in Germany using the most horrible codec you could imagine. I assume it's the streaming of content, not storage of files, but the result sounds like ultra low bps adaptive codec. Completely unlistenable, space monkey galore.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I work for a broadcast company and I can tell you the same story.

Most of the major stations in Germany, as well as a few Ive seen in the US (big ones for that matter) dont use WAV files but some kind of codec (Germany has ALOT of use of Mpeg2/musicam files, not so much mp3 and I havent seen .wav at any of the big stations).

My visit at the BBC supported that observation. From what I recall they didnt use .wav either, at least not in their productive environment.

Its kind of understandable. Most of the archiving/importing workflows have been established years ago when harddisks were expensive and space was limited. And at least in Germany, changing workflows at big stations is something which isnt done on a regular basis, if ever. So what has been done 10 years ago is likely to be done in the same way today.

Kind of sad, especially when the stations have the possibilites to send in a higher quality (like internet streams or cable or DMB). But to be honest, considering the musical content of most major stations here, its not much of a loss.
Old 29th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by senlab_studios ➡️
I just bought this cd yesterday and have to say i am confused.. I expected this cd to really impress me after hearing these comments and reading the soundonsound article about all the gear they had at their disposal and the organic way it was made.

I do love the guys voice, and think its refreshing that the mix isnt crushed to hard and it sounds like real drums without any samples but my girlfriend was actually the first one to point out that it sounds like an mp3. Its got this wash, or cloud over it where nothing seems to really have any definition to my ears. The cymbals are to me the weakest part, and the bass kinda comes in and out. It just to me seems like one of my early ITB mixes that i used to be unhappy with..

I have a decent car stereo, nothing over the top but i couldnt believe what i was hearing. I wanted to like it and expected to like it but wow this was one of the most upsetting sounding albums ive heard in awhile.
I put in down on the upside and neon ballroom in right after to see if something was up but they both sounded much better to me.

The guy has a killer voice though its undeniable but i dont know if i can really listen to the whole album through
I agree with you. I read that article from Sound on Sound about Jacquire's engineering/mixing process for Sex On Fire, and I can't help feeling like the guy kinda doesn't entirely know what he's doing.

He said that he set up "dozens" of room mics, and that he's not a fan of using stereo pairs on drums to create a stereo spread, but prefers to keep many of the elements mono, and then use delay and reverb to create a spread if that's what he wants. This seems like a backwards way of thinking to me that can only result in the exact opposite of an "organic" sounding recording. I'm all for experimentation, but I feel like the drums especially sound pretty bad on this record.

It sounds like pieces of the drums are just out of phase, especially when it comes to the snare and the cymbals. And it also sounds like he tried to compensate for this with EQ and God knows what else. They just sound awful. And as I read that article about all of the effects and different things he used, it just seems like a guy doing all this random ****, not ncessarily knowing what he's doing, just messing around, and in my opinion it shows. This record sounds terrible. There's a strange high frequency thing going on all throughout Sex On Fire, on the vocals and the guitars, almost like mp3 compression/distortion. That may be a mastering thing, since it pervades the entire track.

I should also say at this point that I am a huge KoL fan. I have seen them several times, and also know their earlier work through and through (the albums Ethan Johns worked on). I also think that their new album (Come Around Sundown), which was also engineered and mixed by Jacquire, sounds MUCH MUCH better. Thoughts?
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass ➡️
Hi all,

I love the KOL album "Only By The Night". For some reason the tracks on radio don't sound that great but when it is in the CD player - WOW! Most of my friends agree. What are some expert opinions here? Why when the tracks sound SO amazing on CD they sound almost strange, muffled on radio?

How can radio mess up a great sounding record?

Or, is it the mastering engineers job to make it sound great on CD and Radio - or is that simply impossible? Does a mastering engineer have to choose? To be honest, I feel the KOL album is THE BEST sounding CD I have probably heard for 10 years - that is why I am confused as to why it sounds weird on radio.

Any comments about this?

Thanks!
Yeah, "Use Somebody" sounds horrible on the radio. Consider that the album version is already maxed out, then radio adds even more compression and limiting so it just sounds like $h!t at that point. Thats really it. And you`re right, it is one of the better sounding rock records in this age of butchering audio. [Edit: I should clarify... I think it is one of the better mastering jobs but the mixes always sounded "low budget" to me. Maybe amateur-ish is the word I`m looking for?]
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Here's the path a lot of major label audio takes to airplay.

1. mixed and mastered to be as loud as possible in broadcast programming meetings.

2. converted to 44.1kHz. 128k MP3 in i-tunes and e-mailed to indi promotion people.

3. that mp3 is sent to program directors by promotion people.

4. if programmer wants to play it right away, the 44.1 128k MP3 gets converted to 48kHz. 256k, 320k or 384k MP2 files for the station automation system.

5. Output of the automation system gets re-encoded again for streaming to the transmitter site.

6. gets converted again for input to the broadcast processing system

7. gets sliced and diced to make the station's signal as loud or louder than any other station in the market.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Here's the path a lot of major label audio takes to airplay.

1. mixed and mastered to be as loud as possible in broadcast programming meetings.

2. converted to 44.1kHz. 128k MP3 in i-tunes and e-mailed to indi promotion people.

3. that mp3 is sent to program directors by promotion people.

4. if programmer wants to play it right away, the 44.1 128k MP3 gets converted to 48kHz. 256k, 320k or 384k MP2 files for the station automation system.

5. Output of the automation system gets re-encoded again for streaming to the transmitter site.

6. gets converted again for input to the broadcast processing system

7. gets sliced and diced to make the station's signal as loud or louder than any other station in the market.
You sort of described the process of making a hot dog.
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Something that really sucks is that it is not uncommon for label or indy promotion people to e-mail stations a 44.1 MP3 that they'll then convert to a 48k. MP2 and put on the air.

After all, it's digital, perfect sound forever...
funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➡️
Its interesting that they didn't go the usual Sterling, Marcussen, Vlado route with this record.

Mastered by Richard Dodd.
Haven't heard the record but Richard is great.

I like knowing a city well enough to never have to drive the usual routes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey ➡️
Haven't heard the record but Richard is great.

I like knowing a city well enough to never have to drive the usual routes.
Plus Richard is walking distance from Blackbird!

Agreed, he's great.
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 ➡️
the cd sounds amazing.

really.

jacquire did a great job....big rock tones..tons of space...just great.

jchristopherhughes
I disagree here. There isn't a lot of space in that album. Everything seems to be "packed" saturated and compressed... and i love this. One of the best sounding rock albums (goes after Raconteurs, they sound... perfect?)

Don;'t you all think that single versions was differenet masters than the CD?
Old 31st October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wicked record, love the overall sound of it, but the upper bass is completely over the top, I think it ruined it a bit.
Old 1st November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was in Sicily on vacation for 2 weeks last year...

Radio sounded AWESOME.....in a stock stereo in a Fiat Punto, I could not believe my ears! It sounded full and warm with good bass and dynamics....for the first time I could enjoy listening to songs on the radio for SQ.

It made me a believer, and also was reason #2973 why I am proud to be Italian.

Old 2nd November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I like the sound of the album as well, and I love KOL's music! I really like the snare in "Crawl"
Old 2nd November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Love that band, but some of their tunes are SO heavily compressed! Don't know if it was in the mix or at mastering though. But when that drummer rides on the crashes...ducking all over the place!
Old 3rd November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
one of there songs was played after one of my songs on radio few weeks ago and i was a bit shocked that mine sounded way clearer..guess it was to do with the mastering..nice surprize tho
but at the end of the day the general public dont care if drums are outta phase or this or that..they just like what they hear i guess..and KOL are massive right now
📝 Reply