Metallica and Rick Rubin win Grammy's for "Death Magnetic" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metallica and Rick Rubin win Grammy's for "Death Magnetic"
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Metallica and Rick Rubin win Grammy's for "Death Magnetic"

Metallica wins the Grammy for best Metal Performance and Rick Rubin for Producer of the Year.

I called it months ago in this thread:

Death Magnetic

Its the Naras members that voted which includes alot of technical people including us.

It goes on to show that nobody cares or not enough to make the differences needed.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
Metallica wins the Grammy for best Metal Performance and Rick Rubin for Producer of the Year.

I called it months ago in this thread:

Death Magnetic

Its the Naras members that voted which includes alot of technical people including us.

It goes on to show that nobody cares or not enough to make the differences needed.
Or rather it goes to show that the big names always take it home...

All respect for Rick Rubin and I dig a lot of the stuff that his done over the years, but Death Magnetic is hardly a career high point....

Or come to think of it; maybe that's exactly what it is.... Anyone who has seen the Some kind of monster movie will appreciate that Mr. Rubin needs exceptional diplomatic skills to have this band working together and pulling in the same direction
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a slap in the face and a kick in the balls for anyone who has ears from the Academy of the recording arts and sciences.

What a travesty.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➑️
It's a slap in the face and a kick in the balls for anyone who has ears from the Academy of the recording arts and science.

What a travesty.

youve got that right, its sad seeing all these acts that dont have much talent, a few Artists there but man....is the flow of talen getting shorter and shorter...
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Forgot to add the grammy for best Recording Package.

So not only do they win recorded metal music grammy's but for the best art direction as well.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the other side off the coin : Robert Plant ad Alison Krauss take away 5 .. so who gives a s***t about current metal anyway ...
in the dutch news they even don't mention the rock/metal anymore ... can be different for the US ... they're always a bit behind understanding .

dixie chicks rules !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ill tell ya when in comparison metal sounds like a sissy compared to its more aggresive and unforgiving bigger brother death metal heh
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

April Fools Day, right?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just one question: Why? Why the hell on earth would some demonstration of the brickwall-limiter's mass destruction capabilities deserve a prize in the honour of music?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So now the Grammy awards have no value either. Why is the industry hell bent on destroying its self?

🎧 10 years
because the Grammy's, Emmys, BAFTAs and other awards aren't worth ****. I've judged on BAFTA and Grammy - total waste of time. It's about lobbying and that is all.

My company has won a few awards - one Grammy, one Emmy and four BAFTAs as well as various other ones. Waste of time...... other people are far more interested in them than they are really worth. The big rub? We won on projects that really were a shambles and not that great. Ive heard incredible works (in the soundtrack world) that get put forward for awards - but no-one votes because , like politics, it's a lobbyists playpark. Look at the NARAS membership - like all other interest groups - self serving only. I left THAT world long ago - even the AES is becoming suspicious with some of the recent board selectees.... Add to that that the big names in my industry aren't even the big job doers - I shan't name names but there are three luminary figures that don't do **** all yet are in the press all the time. I prefer to look at my business turnover and sales as my award. Screw the fekkin "awards"..... I mean , c'mon - look at the "Oscars".... are those REALLY the best actors, or is it more "lobbying".....doesn't take a genius...

It's of no surprise to me at all that Death Magnetic would take this award.... Metallica generate cash for the industry and awards are "rewards" for serving the biz. It has NEVER had anything to do with real technical or artistic merit.....i could moan about this all day !
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Another Slut has put it so well in another thread: It's not the Grammys anymore, it's the Slammys.

P.S: At least the award didn't go to Axl Rose.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➑️
youve got that right, its sad seeing all these acts that dont have much talent, a few Artists there but man....is the flow of talen getting shorter and shorter...
...and the reason for that in my opinion is quite simple:
Listening to music has become too easy, too mobile, too everywhere.
Expressing yourself with music rather than impressing yourself with music are antagonistic. Do the current generation of kids still sing in the shower or does someone in their ipod instead sing for them?

I'm waiting for the day the pendulum swings back, hopefully...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've never had any respect for the Grammys. fuuck
a whole lot of awards for dumb music.
the grammmys are one of the reason our ears get slaughtered by stupid fcuking crappy music all the time.

I feel vindicated.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
To be fair, the award isn't specifically for Deaf Magnetic - he produced several other projects this year, and some of them sound great. Despite hating the sound of the Metallica CD, I don't begrudge him the award:

Why Rick Rubin Deserves His "Producer Of The Year" Grammy Award

Ian
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
P.S: At least the award didn't go to Axl Rose.....
Maybe it should have... At least that album has more dynamics...

And it must have been one of the most anticipated albums ever
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter ➑️
Maybe it should have... At least that album has more dynamics...
Why not have Gearies? Gearslutz awards!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
We could use things such as --- uh... "Recording Arts and Sciences" as criteria!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is sad to me.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Winning allows one to raise the rates. That is the prime benefit of produsahs and engineers winning a Grammy.

Sometimes the Grammys do award good art---not for Rick though.

I often see Rick Rubin at Mr. Chow in Beverly Hills. I get just as good a table as he does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe they were just so surpised at how much better "Death Magnetic" is than their previous record (which doesn't deserve to be mentioned), they felt compelled to award them something? But yeah, it's virtually unlistenable. Not because of the music but because of the mastering. I think an award should be based on the whole deal, not just how many units it sold.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Death Magnetic" might be slammed to death. But it's still by far the best hard rock record this year.

I had ultimate hopes for Opeth, but Watershed is no Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries..."Death Magnetic" gets constant play on my systems in spite of the limiting.

It's all about the energy and vibe.

IMHO, my flame suit is on, and with all due respect - make something better. More stimulating. More visceral. That's all you can do. It is what it is. Just my opinion, guys.

It certainly could sound much better. But it is what it is. And I just saw Metallica live and can assure you they deserve 100% of any credit they get for "DM".

That said, I'd definitely buy it again if they released the Guitar Hero mixes.

Again, this is just my opinion. Not intended to troll or flame anyone's opinion.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders ➑️
"Death Magnetic" might be slammed to death. But it's still by far the best hard rock record this year.

I had ultimate hopes for Opeth, but Watershed is no Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries..."Death Magnetic" gets constant play on my systems in spite of the limiting.

It's all about the energy and vibe.

IMHO, my flame suit is on, and with all due respect - make something better. More stimulating. More visceral. That's all you can do. It is what it is. Just my opinion, guys.

It certainly could sound much better. But it is what it is. And I just saw Metallica live and can assure you they deserve 100% of any credit they get for "DM".

That said, I'd definitely buy it again if they released the Guitar Hero mixes.

Again, this is just my opinion. Not intended to troll or flame anyone's opinion.
hard rock my butt - cheese metal. There are some great decent hard rock records out this year that wipe the floor ith DM. Just get yer self over to Stonerrock.com and have a look. Now - HIGH PROFILE records, fair enough..... but to shout out that it's the best -> not by a fekkin million gajillion miles... Rubin is no longer in touch with what;s great out there....listen out for Boris, Bronx , heck even Clutch.....Make Metallica look like a bunch of boys...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Boris,.
Does that band have a Metal fan base? I saw them because a band I know was opening for them and toured Europe with them. The crowd here in NYC wasn't a metal crowd and Growing is definitely not metal. They confused me for the first half of the set but I was into it by the end.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➑️
Does that band have a Metal fan base? I saw them because a band I know was opening for them and toured Europe with them. The crowd here in NYC wasn't a metal crowd and Growing is definitely not metal. They confused me for the first half of the set but I was into it by the end.
not metal - hard rock. Or perhaps garage meet stoner - but that was the point. Metallica aint rock.....hard or otherwise. Straight up metal.... Of course - horses for VWs
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
hard rock my butt - cheese metal. There are some great decent hard rock records out this year that wipe the floor ith DM. Just get yer self over to Stonerrock.com and have a look. Now - HIGH PROFILE records, fair enough..... but to shout out that it's the best -> not by a fekkin million gajillion miles... Rubin is no longer in touch with what;s great out there....listen out for Boris, Bronx , heck even Clutch.....Make Metallica look like a bunch of boys...
Yeah. I've heard them. Been a member at Stonerrock.com for years - cheers to that anyways. And I stand by my statements. It's only my opinion. Congrats on yours.

You say "cheese metal" as if that's a bad thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders ➑️
Yeah. I've heard them. Been a member at Stonerrock.com for years - cheers to that anyways. And I stand by my statements. It's only my opinion. Congrats on yours.

You say "cheese metal" as if that's a bad thing.
I can't knock Metallica, even though it's not my personal taste in music. They have been troupers and pioneers of the style too long, and have run up against the stupidity of the Grammy's a couple of notable times....like having their record up against Coldplay last night, and like losing out to Jethro Tull years back (YES, Jethro Tull).....why do they keep pairing apples and oranges on these awards shows???

TH
Lives for gear
I was talking to a Grammy voter today and he said he was given the country genre to vote for (he's not familiar with the style) and just voted for the name he recognized and remembered hearing and liking in the past. That's probably what happened with this vote...people know who Metallica is, knew they had critical acclaim in the past, and voted for them without actually hearing the CD.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This is pretty much how it works. That's why the U2s, the Plants, the Coldplays, the Joni Mitchells, the Herbie Hancocks, etc. wind up winning. Granted they might be great records but it really comes down to human nature, people voting for what they know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames ➑️
I was talking to a Grammy voter today and he said he was given the country genre to vote for (he's not familiar with the style) and just voted for the name he recognized and remembered hearing and liking in the past. That's probably what happened with this vote...people know who Metallica is, knew they had critical acclaim in the past, and voted for them without actually hearing the CD.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My point in starting this thread was to say that the rest of the recording industry really does not care enough about the sound quality of recordings but it still mostly on sales.

So the only way to really fix the problems of smashed mixing & mastering is to fix the problems ourselves. By policeing ourselves & each other, the way things are done and setting up the standards on what can be done. Over the years alot of the things we do now in studios have become standard and the way its taught through out. So now and in the future it will be on our shoulders to regulate it and fix it. We can't wait or expect that the artists,producers or record management will change things. They have enough pressures on their own staying in business. I know some people will have a problem with this because it infringes on the way they feel they want to conduct business, but i think this issue goes beyond just making money and giving people the choices. I think if we did a survey on how many attended vs. unattended sessions are done in a year i think these days the unattended will trounce the attended 3:1. So that shows really that most artists just trust us to take care of their sonic concerns and they just want things to sound good. So if we are really the the "trusted ones" than it really will be up to us to determine what is "good". Again i know some people will shrug their shoulders and say "the artist calls the shot and they approve everything" but their comes a point where you have to step in and say something.

Again i know this may be controversial but if at the very top(Bob Ludwig, Ted Jensen) they are speaking out about it, than we all should follow suit and really do something about it. Maybe make it a rule that no recordings are put out that go over -8dbfs? Or something to that effect.

Opinions?
πŸ“ Reply