Quantcast
Acoustic Guitar Help? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Guitar Help?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Acoustic Guitar Help?

I've got a one-take rough demo of a tune with vocal and acoustic guitar that's going on a short-run EP. On most systems and headphones there's an odd resonance on the bass strings on the guitar. This happens to be flat-picked but it shows up on some finger-picked tracks as well. The full track has some eq, reverb and limiting. The short mono guitar clip is dry.

I suspect that most people wouldn't make much of it but I'd like to learn how to correct it. The tune was recorded with a couple of cheap mics: a StudioProjects B1 on vocal and a supercheap MXL SP1 on guitar, located about ear level over the lower bout and pointed down, which gave me the best sound with the least bleed.

The full clip is HERE

A short mono guitar clip is HERE

Thanks.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
From the lap top it's a little hard to tell, but it seems whenever your hitting the lower G or G# hard that it''s creating some resonance or frequency build up.

Take a low band of a parametric EQ, make the bandwidth as tight as it will go (notch filter) raise it about 5 db and sweep between maybe 200 - 400 hz until the offending frequency sticks out like a sore thumb. Once you find the frequency that's causing the nastiness, dip the frequency down a bit until you like how it sounds. Once you cut you can also widen the bandwidth a bit if a wider area needs to be cut. Might want to add a high pass filter between 30-60hz as well.

TW
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I second the notch filter. It's just the nature of acoustic instruments. Though I might add a lot of EQs get rediculously narrow bandwidth these days. I'd suggest a Q of 4 or so when boosting, then narrow to 8 or so once you've found the problem and fine tune and cut after that.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
More Importantly...I would deal with the vocal sibilance issues on the long version.

Ed
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed littman ➑️
More Importantly...I would deal with the vocal sibilance issues on the long version.

AdrianW, you actually have some serious frequency problems on 3 bands: 170H, 400H and 7k.

Your mix is a good example to use a combination RTA/nb-comp.

For this you'd need 3 narrow band compressors like Waves C1. Or, a multi-band compressor with narrow Qs. Most people here will advise you to use a parametric eq, though.

Looking at the RTA read out the problems are easily found at 178Hz which is where that guitar bass string appears to have a resonance issue. At 406Hz you have a frequency anomaly, the result of high amplitudes, or a loud transient emanating from the vocal and it makes it sound a bit harsh.

Finally, Mr.Ed Littman is correct, your vocal has a bit of an excessive sibilance problem. Here is another opportunity to prove the point that is good to see where the problem is before one sets either a parametric eq or a nb compressor.

Attached is the mix with the frequency corrections. I hope you like the results and this example helps.

Regards,
Attached Files
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. These tracks are just one-take demo's but I'd like to get them as decent as possible without re-recording so this has been a great help. As suggested I applied a notch filter to the guitar track and one to the vocal to reduce sibilance. The result is subtle but, I think, an improvement if you listen back to back. I have the new version HERE

Again, many thanks. This has been a great help in learning how to deal with these issues.

A.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➑️

AdrianW, you actually have some serious frequency problems on 3 bands: 170H, 400H and 7k.

Your mix is a good example to use a combination RTA/nb-comp.

For this you'd need 3 narrow band compressors like Waves C1. Or, a multi-band compressor with narrow Qs. Most people here will advise you to use a parametric eq, though.

Looking at the RTA read out the problems are easily found at 178Hz which is where that guitar bass string appears to have a resonance issue. At 406Hz you have a frequency anomaly, the result of high amplitudes, or a loud transient emanating from the vocal and it makes it sound a bit harsh.

Finally, Mr.Ed Littman is correct, your vocal has a bit of an excessive sibilance problem. Here is another opportunity to prove the point that is good to see where the problem is before one sets either a parametric eq or a nb compressor.

Attached is the mix with the frequency corrections. I hope you like the results and this example helps.

Regards,
Thanks, this is a great help. I used a parametric eq on my remix, specifically at 185 H and 7500 K, which I determined by ear. I have access to a couple of RTA's so it's a matter of learning how to read them. Looking at one I see the 400 H peak. I'm WAY over my head here so I'm not sure about what to be looking for exactly. Thanks so much for taking the time to make the sample.

A.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianW ➑️
Thanks, this is a great help. I used a parametric eq on my remix, specifically at 185 H and 7500 K, which I determined by ear. I have access to a couple of RTA's so it's a matter of learning how to read them. Looking at one I see the 400 H peak. I'm WAY over my head here so I'm not sure about what to be looking for exactly. Thanks so much for taking the time to make the sample.

A.
You are welcome . It's also important to note that I used a low cut filter to roll some of the low end off at 66 Hz. This gives the strings a tiny bit more brightness without needing to boost the high end.

Best wishes,
πŸ“ Reply