Help for my first mastering compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help for my first mastering compressor
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Help for my first mastering compressor

Hi! I´m buying my first two hardware pieces for my mastering room, the eq will be gyraf G14, but I have a lot of doubts about compressors. I want a versatile comp, I have some in mind: api 2500, gyraf G10 varimu, cranesong stc8... Until now I´ve masterized some rock stuff, pop ... but I´d like a compressor wich could be used for a lot of styles. I know, in the best of worlds, I should have two or three comps to choose from, but I´m starting in this world. I´m pretty lost, please help!!!

Greetings and thank you in advance...
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for a start.....without anything else??

a pair of Cranesong Trakkers !! total versatility

Crane Song Website

or another great VCA Comp option is the Vertigo

VERTIGO SOUND

one of those 2 is probably where I would start and then I´d add a nice vari-mu type comp later.... Rockruepel Comp 1, Pendulum ES-8 (or the opto), Thermionic Culture Phoenix etc., Drawmer S3 (multiband)
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used these compressors except the Gyraf (which I'm going to assume acts and sounds like an amalgamation of all vari mu's in the worldheh).
Most flexible for me would be STC 8. With a bit of twisting and turning it can help shape the form of pretty much anything that gets put into it. Side chain filtering is a must.
It should do fine as a primary comp.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
just got an stc-8 as my first analog mastering comp, and it's really versatile. i will still want an api 2500 and an ssl, but i will still be using the STC-8 in conjunction with those.

i got the version without detented pots, and i'm kind of kicking myself. i'd recommend the stc-8 M which is better for recall.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
if you can, try n check out the Maselec MLA-3 , its a multi band but you can put it in linked mode to act like a regular comp if needed, i like the sound of it better then the MLA-2 acting as a regular comp (i pulled my MLA-2 once i used this on a mix and heard what it did linked) and when in multi mode its sounds very nice, still learning this thing because you can run it in alot of different ways. i've really been into using it in multi band mode but only using one of the bands, keepin the others turned off, more like an eq then a comp.

louie
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwalsh ➡️
just got an stc-8 as my first analog mastering comp, and it's really versatile.
CONGRATULATIONS!

Did you pop a bottle or two to celebrate?
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm looking for information on the Rockruepel.... cant'd find it anyway. Can you help? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude ➡️

Crane Song Website

VERTIGO SOUND

one of those 2 is probably where I would start and then I´d add a nice vari-mu type comp later.... Rockruepel Comp 1, Pendulum ES-8 (or the opto), Thermionic Culture Phoenix etc., Drawmer S3 (multiband)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azirkin ➡️
I'm looking for information on the Rockruepel.... cant'd find it anyway. Can you help? Thanks.
It´s a completely hand built variable mu compressor design by my friend Guido Apke!

APKE Tontechnik

Please contact him, about availability etc. I think the first batch is pretty much sold out and last time we talked, he spoke about starting building the next batch.....but they´re available only in a limited number and are around € 4000,-

Guido did a ****load of mods for some of his clients Manley Vari-Mu´s in the past
(he´s one of the best and most knowledgable "pro audio" dealers in germany!)
and along those lines of selling Manleys, Thermionics, Pendulums and whatnot dreamed up his
"no compromise" version of a variable mu compressor design, which evolved into the
"Rockruepel Comp One"

When he finished the first "final" comp, we sat down for an afternoon and shot it out against the usual suspects...during that time I was actually trying to save up some $$$ for a Thermionic Culture Phoenix (which I would have bought from him anyway)
BUT within 10 minutes it was clear that NONE of the other contenders had a chance against it.
The "Comp One" was easily the most versatile (for a tube comp at last), musical, most addictive and sweetest comp by far!!
....the Phoenix was just too slow, felt really mellow/bland against the Rockruepel
(granted I would love to have it in the rack as an addition to the palette ANY day, it IS a great comp!)
and the Manley clearly couldn´t keep up as far as the pure sound of the gain stages
(the Rockruepel in bypass is one hell of a "tube line-amp", that could easily get +1 or 2dB RMS just from the circuit), the compression characteristics, flexibility, etc etc.

I´m still doing not enough work at my own place here (and I won´t as long as my friends around me keep buying aws900s and vintage neves and running great studios!) to justify the expense.....(I´d rather talk my friends into getting one soon heh ) but for variable mu design bus compressor my mind is set!!!

The Rockruepel Comp One and a pair of Anamod 660s will go a long way for THAT type of compression ....imho.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that´s Guido himself...unfortunately , it´s in German

YouTube - Rockrüpel and guido Apke

and a picture from my last HI-END GEAR Conference

(shameless plug hehheh )

I´ll see if I can find more on my harddrive

cheers tom
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm going to contact Guido and look into it. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Certainly an OCL2 or an STC8.
Old 19th June 2009 | Show parent
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude ➡️

Crane Song Website

VERTIGO SOUND

How do you like the Drawmer S3, it's hard to get any real world reviews of it.
Can you talk about the sound and feel of it. Does the big and air switches add.
Thanks
Old 20th June 2009 | Show parent
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 21st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The newest higher end Pico compressor is the P3, available directly from the designer. It adds all the bells and whistles one might want over the standard stereo comp, which already does an outstanding job. Mercenary carries the 500 series mono module, but no stereo product stocked as a standard item as of yet.

Pico Compressor Audio Design Forum • View topic - The P3 Compressor
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosodio ➡️
Hi! I´m buying my first two hardware pieces for my mastering room, the eq will be gyraf G14, but I have a lot of doubts about compressors. I want a versatile comp, I have some in mind: api 2500, gyraf G10 varimu, cranesong stc8... Until now I´ve masterized some rock stuff, pop ... but I´d like a compressor wich could be used for a lot of styles. I know, in the best of worlds, I should have two or three comps to choose from, but I´m starting in this world. I´m pretty lost, please help!!!

Greetings and thank you in advance...

hi,

try to find a unit that has a separate compressor and limiter section. neve [or amek if you can find one]. probably some others.

right.
Old 3rd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I use a pair of trakkers in my masering chain and they work wonderfully for me. They are insanely versatile.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwalsh ➡️
just got an stc-8 as my first analog mastering comp, and it's really versatile. i will still want an api 2500 and an ssl, but i will still be using the STC-8 in conjunction with those.

i got the version without detented pots, and i'm kind of kicking myself. i'd recommend the stc-8 M which is better for recall.
Can you tell how this recall on the "M"-version works?
Any contact with the DAW?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey interesting thread !

What do you guys think about more affordable comps like drawmer 1968 and tftpro 38 ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find the p38 very aggressive - I never loved it. It's good for squashing the crap out of things. I sometimes use it on the drum bus, but never in 2-mix or mastering applications. It's also exclusively stereo, which you may or may not like. The M/S matrix is cool, but not as musical as, say, the Dangerous stuff.
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
by matching the detented pots to the logged settings on your recall sheet?

Quote:
Any contact with the DAW?
your brain
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttbergsveen ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmx ➡️
by matching the detented pots to the logged settings on your recall sheet?
Serious? Amazing....! Can´t be....???
Old 4th October 2009 | Show parent
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
i found the concept refreshing too yes, but it works very well to be honoust. a true innovation in mastering!

more serious: i'd go for a vca (ocl2, stc8, vertigo) or a weiss. thats not analogue of course, but still a valid candidate for a first comp.
Old 5th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Most of the time you don't need any compression.

DC
Old 6th October 2009 | Show parent
Shy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➡️
Most of the time you don't need any compression.

DC
Of course not, but most of the time you want it.
Old 7th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy ➡️
Of course not, but most of the time you want it.
Personally, I wouldn't say "most," but there are times it's helpful. More often than not pop/rock mixes have enough added, and they were able to compensate during the mix for any negative effects. I do like a bit of long attack/fast release low ratio on the OCL-2 or 6386 just tickling the meters, but it's a pretty subtle thing.

However, people have read on the Interwebs never to use any compression at all, so sometimes you really have to get some dynamic control.

DC
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I do a lot of re-mastering for people who have had a mastering job done at another studio and are not happy with the result.

95% of the time the "thing" they are not happy with is: too much compression.

It seems to me that MEs with less experience seem to get seduced by the kool effect compression can have, on fattening a vocal for example, without tuning into the problems that come along with it, like pumping and general choking the life out of a mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H ➡️
95% of the time the "thing" they are not happy with is: too much compression.
Just had to have an EP of mine remastered due to this problem. The guy who did it came highly recommend but I think we won't be using him again...
Old 8th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Received an album this morning that i have to re-master (unhappy client from another studio).

Guess what! - over-compressed!

Damn, i'm giving away my trade secrets.
csl
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H ➡️
Received an album this morning that i have to re-master (unhappy client from another studio).

Guess what! - over-compressed!

Damn, i'm giving away my trade secrets.
I've got to wonder why your clients don't simply ask the previous mastering engineer to simply lay off the compression a bit, rather than shelling out again? (Unless they didn't pay him, of course.)
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by csl ➡️
I've got to wonder why your clients don't simply ask the previous mastering engineer to simply lay off the compression a bit, rather than shelling out again? (Unless they didn't pay him, of course.)
Good question, i have no idea.

Maybe they're too scared to ask, or maybe the studio comes back at them with a lot of attitude. And also, remember, a lot of people are addicted to compression like crack and simply can't help themselves!
📝 Reply