Old 26th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes ➡️
oh dear. more conflicting info.

we have one post suggesting that two speakers together should equal 83db and now a post suggesting that they should equal 89db

can I politely ask Mr Katz to make an unequivocal and succinct sticky in the mastering forum with the correct information for calibrating monitors to a system
Bob no longer posts here, and hasn't in about a year, as from my understanding he ended up finding it wasn't a good use of his time - and also felt that he wasn't being treated courteously by many posters here. I suggest you email him directly at Contact Us instead.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 13th August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Post became too long, moved to its own thread here: In-depth Bob Katz K-System Tutorial
Old 15th January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg ➡️
-20 dB RMS test signal @ 83 dB SPL per speaker = 0 monitoring gain. This is a given. Zero doesn't drift when you switch between working K20 and K14 for example. (You might attenuate a few dB more though, to compensate for midfield or nearfield monitors, but that is something else.)
You use monitoring gain 0 for K20, -6 for K14, -8 for K12
(OP: you already successfully did this - just set you monitoring gain to -6)
Something I don't get and I'm doing the following stupid question. What if you have no gain control on your monitors? I have for instance just a -10dBV and a +4dBu switch. That's all. What do I do to calibrate my speakers?

I have an SPL 2 Control which when turning the knob to around to -2 (on SPL's indication) then I get around 83dB SPL. If for instance if I had gain control over my monitors it would be very easy to calibrate the hole system and have my SPL 2Control at 0 position (the knob) and the dBSPL meter placed in the listening position getting 83dB SLP.
Old 17th February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Reviving an old thread...
what is the best way to calibrate a home studio to the K System. I use Logic Pro feeding a Yamaha A-S500 to 2 Tannoy Reveal 601p speakers.
How helpful is the Meterplugs K meter in the mixing and mastering process for a setup like mine?
📝 Reply