Quantcast
If reaper could burn red book & ddp..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If reaper could burn red book & ddp.....
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If reaper could burn red book & ddp.....

Hi Slutz,

I used reaper for the first time today on a whim. I was very dubious at first, but it has the potential to be a very practical mastering DAW. It's not quite up there with my Sequoia setup or Sadie, but maybe a good native alternative to the big boys could be in the pipeline methinks.........

Any other experiences from ME's?

Cheers

Toby Anderson
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've tested it for a while. It's easy to use, great interaction with hardware, best update possibilities bar none imho, great gui options, excellent sound quality, great community, cool effects (for mixing) and let's not forget best price/quality imo. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to mix tracks.

But... for mastering it lacks several options to offer an efficient workflow. It takes several steps to make a mastering quality CD with all the paper work, etc. I've asked them to add this functionality, but it wasn't their highest priority, which is understandable. That's (one of the reasons) why I use Samplitude and don't recommend Reaper for mastering. But for mixing/tracking.... man it's great.

Maarten
Old 11th August 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Reaper 4 has been released and features DDP export

I've tested exported ddp images by importing them in Sonoris DDP Creator. everything seemed fine
Old 12th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use Reaper for mastering. No problems here with workflow. Having DDP export in Reaper 4 is a nice new feature.
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
How easy is it to create DDP with audio processed and sequenced in another program? Can you simply drop the Wavs into a CD Montage and DDP it up? That would be amazing and I'd buy Reaper tomorrow.
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes you can. Just drop in the audio, set your markers and then export. There are tools on the way to make the markers even easier for the user as well.
Old 14th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Only thing I can't quite work out with the Reaper DDP export is where I can input ISRC codes etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using Reaper for all my main mastering tasks for several years now. I do burn the final CD using Wavelab though because that way I can easily create proper PQ sheets and add CD-text if the client requests it.

Reaper has an awesome workflow though. Especially if you are adventurous enough to do several trips in and out to hardware equipment. For instance I have an analogue chain and an outboard digital chain, these can be separated in reaper and inserted at any point of the overall chain, so I could have Plugin-EQ -> DA converter -> analogue chain -> AD converter -> plugin whatever -> digital output -> digital hardware chain -> digital input -> more plugins.. etc.

Very flexible.

Cheers!
bManic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➑️
Only thing I can't quite work out with the Reaper DDP export is where I can input ISRC codes etc.
Should be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergenious (ddp plugin dev) on the reaper forums
#My song title|ISRC=USX121100001
#ISRC=USX121100001|My song title
#ISRC=USX121100001
There's a full explanation of the metadata syntax via the "?" button in the render dialog when DDP is selected as the export format.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
I do burn the final CD using Wavelab though because that way I can easily create proper PQ sheets and add CD-text if the client requests it.
Rumor has it that PQ sheet export is incoming, and CD-text already works, though I have not tried it myself yet.
Lives for gear

23 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wish also there could be a spectral cleaning in reaper as in samplitude.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
markers?

hi.. i'm afraid i'm a bit lost. I can see how to set to render DDP but the "?" dialogue doesn't really explain in simple terms where to put the IRSC code. Do you literally type it in a marker? Where do you put the marker? Anywhere?
Bit confused. I just want to burn some CDs with the IRSC codes embedded and any other bonus info.. any help would be much appreciated.
Old 15th August 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➑️
new thread at Cockos:
IRSC Codes?? - Cockos Confederated Forums
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been using Reaper for all my main mastering tasks for several years now. I do burn the final CD using Wavelab though because that way I can easily create proper PQ sheets and add CD-text if the client requests it.

Reaper has an awesome workflow though. Especially if you are adventurous enough to do several trips in and out to hardware equipment. For instance I have an analogue chain and an outboard digital chain, these can be separated in reaper and inserted at any point of the overall chain, so I could have Plugin-EQ -> DA converter -> analogue chain -> AD converter -> plugin whatever -> digital output -> digital hardware chain -> digital input -> more plugins.. etc.

Very flexible.

Cheers!
bManic
Interesting... Does it allow to insert hardware in plug-in slots as in Pro Tools or Logic I/O's plugin?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes. It's got a ReaInsert plugin which does exactly that. It's even got a "latency check" button (it sends a signal through the whole chain and measures the AD-DA latency) allowing you to do proper parallel compression, at least with digital hardware.. I never dared to try parallel processing with analogue things as there might be some small phase shifts during DA->AD loop that make it impossible.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 15th August 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't tried out the cd export since R4... Does it work correctly when setting gaps to 0ms? I do a lot of life concerts and before when I used it to iso even though the setting was set to 0ms gap it stol had a slight break in the audio stream.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by priko ➑️
I wish also there could be a spectral cleaning in reaper as in samplitude.
That'd be called "Spectro" from Schwa (one of Reaper's devs)
Lives for gear

23 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf ➑️
That'd be called "Spectro" from Schwa (one of Reaper's devs)
I will demo it
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes. It's got a ReaInsert plugin which does exactly that. It's even got a "latency check" button (it sends a signal through the whole chain and measures the AD-DA latency) allowing you to do proper parallel compression, at least with digital hardware.. I never dared to try parallel processing with analogue things as there might be some small phase shifts during DA->AD loop that make it impossible.

Cheers!
bManic
Thanks, I'm going to demo Reaper then, maybe I'll like it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
... everyone just bear in mind that the DDP feature-set is not complete yet. There are things on the way still which will make it more robust. There's a discussion thread on the cockos forums for feature requests/comments/etc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderMastering ➑️
Thanks, I'm going to demo Reaper then, maybe I'll like it...
Make sure you give it fair chance. It takes a while to digest all of the possibilities because it is so damn configurable (which is both it's greatest strength and also one of it's weaknesses).

You can install it as a "portable" install. That way you can run it of an USB stick or external hard drive.. or just use that install as a registry clean thing.

If you have an analogue/outboard loop then you'll be using the "Record output" option a lot. What you need to do is Right Click on the record button of a track to set the recording output as enabled. Almost everything in Reaper can be right clicked to get a menu with a lot of options (again, both a good and a bad thing).

You can of course also do a real-time render of the whole project but I usually record the output of a track because I do all the final fade-outs and cropping in Wavelab.

Once you have recorded the file, you can press F2 to open the file properties, there you can then "Rename" the file. The cool thing is that this rename dialog works such that if you choose another folder than the one where you recorded, you can then rename the file and it will move it to this new folder. Very simple but effective way of both moving and renaming files.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. You can use Voxengo MSED plugin (freeware) before the ReaInsert (outboard loop) and right after it again to encode and decode for mid/side processing. Very nice and powerful stuff. This way you can easily turn your outboard setup into a mid/side processing thing.

Cheers!
πŸ“ Reply