Quantcast
Need Some Guidance for my Audio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Some Guidance for my Audio
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Need Some Guidance for my Audio

Ok Whats up everyone, I'd like to start out by saying that YES I understand that Mixing and Mastering does not come to you overnight.But this is my problem (Probably one of the most common). When I get done mixing my beat on Pro Tools and I get done adding different EQ's and compressors to each individual track (KICK,SNARE, HI HAT)and I export it, and I listen to it in my car,itunes, or wherever it isn't loud enough it is just quiet sounding and I want to make it sound not like a grammy award winning song but just enough so I can give out tapes of my beats and people will appreciate them,you know what I mean?I was going to use Soundforge to master my tracks with but it isn't working properly for me right now, so what I've been doing is I've been using Pro Tools to help.I'll record my tracks to ONE audio Track in Pro tools and use some different plugins and such to make it sound nice. I'm not using any kind of acoustical treatment on my room at the moment but people have told me it helps, and Monitor foam is a must.But yeah I'm just looking for tips and advice on how to overcome this problem, I'm interested and I want to learn.THANKS
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Monitoring is #1. Skill is #1.5 You need to work on the room and the speakers so they reveal all and you know your room well. Then, when your mix is done, assuming you know how to mix, it will be so good that just a little limiting can be done to get the volume you want. Yes, it's that simple.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah, the loudness dead horse returns. Actual loudness on disk is obtained in the mastering stage through a series of processes. The louder you try to make it, the more distorted and harsh it becomes. Do you really want to destroy your music over a numbers game?
Old 4th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Brownie ➡️
I want to make it sound not like a grammy award winning song but just enough so I can give out tapes of my beats and people will appreciate them,you know what I mean?
Me thinks your already there. I'm with Lucey on this; Monitoring is high a top the mountain of importance, but the skill needed, as in knowing which moves to make is very, very, important. I think its going to depend on where you want this to go. My setup went from MBOX and M-Audio Monitors, to a FULL BLOWN RACK of gear using Solo 6BE's with a DA16x hitting a passive summing rail, pairing up with a syrupy Class A Discrete preamp, thus making my mixes sound much more effective, WITHOUT the need for mastering [if its for these aforementioned people]. Of course I've since added some awesome limiters, and It has made a very big impact on how I mix to the 2-buss.
📝 Reply