Quantcast
Mastering software brainstorm - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering software brainstorm
Old 4th February 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Mastering software brainstorm

This is a question to help me post a GS survey asking what software people use for mastering, even if it's just semi-pro mastering.

It is NOTabout CD Architect and mere disc printing software, it's about tools to sonically finalize, like WaveLab and SoundForge.

What software products belong in such a survey?

P.S. If this has been done recently, just tell me. I looked and didn't see it.
Old 4th February 2009
  #2
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
kjg
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Samplitude
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sequoia
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MAzevedo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well, Sequoia is basically Samplitude with some mastering bits strapped on top.

Also -

SADiE
Pyramix
Audio Cube (are they still around? We demo'd their system years ago)
Waveburner
Wave Editor
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MASSIVE Master's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
+1 on Sequamploiatude.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Ummmmmm....Samplitude, and.....ummmmmm yeah, Sequoia

Greg
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
In my little world, Samplitude is nr 1 for mastering and tracking.

Micke
solidmastering.com
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
mastertone's Avatar
 
Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Samplitude does everything for me. Except DDP and a nice cup of coffee ...
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
24-96 Mastering's Avatar
 
Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Also:

Merging Pyramix
Steinberg Wavelab
Adobe Audition
Sony Sound Forge


And if you're only asking about sound manipultion / recorder DAW (without authoring capabilities), some might use the following:

Digidesign ProTools
Steinberg Nuendo
Steinberg Cubase
Emagic Logic Audio
Sony Vegas
Cakewalk Sonar
MOTU Digital Performer
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #11
GS Community Manager
 
Whitecat's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mac only, but...

BIAS Peak Pro XT
Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
hello people's Avatar
Audacity
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Sonic Studio soundBlade and Pro Tools HD here.

What was the brainstorm part about, somehow I missed that?

JT
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Brainstorming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brainstorming is a technique that groups can use to rapidly list options. It's useful because a group can usually recall more options than any one or two members can. In this thread we're brainstorming; throwing out names of software packages to make sure the survey is comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➑️
Sonic Studio soundBlade and Pro Tools HD here.

What was the brainstorm part about, somehow I missed that?

JT
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 
Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Another option is SAWStudio - Welcome to RML Labs - The Makers of SAWStudio - with the JMS Audioware Cue Sheet Generator add on - JMS Audioware

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Pyramix DSD/DXD
PT HD 8
Sound Forge 9


Regards,
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering ➑️
Pyramix DSD/DXD
PT HD 8
Sound Forge 9
If the survey is multiple-select I can include 1bit tools. Otherwise I may include only PCM tools.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Tubefreak's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Samplitude
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
21 on the list

I'll post the survey in a day or so. Here's the list so far:

Adobe Audition
Apple Logic Studio / WaveBurner
Audacity
Audio Cube (uses Steinberg WaveLab)
Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor
BIAS Peak Pro XT
Cakewalk Sonar
Digidesign ProTools HD
Magix Samplitude
Magix Sequoia
Merging Pyramix or DSD/DXD
MOTU Digital Performer
Prism Sound SADiE
Reaper
RML Labs SAWStudio
Sonic Studio SoundBlade / Premaster or DSD&SACD
Sony Sound Forge
Sony Vegas
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo
Steinberg Wavelab
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Unless you define 'mastering software' as software that can actually create a CD master with PQ codes etc. Some of that software listed can be used for mastering, but not actually creating a CD master.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #21
jdg
Lives for gear
 
jdg's Avatar
 
Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
IMO, if it cant burn a CD/PQ code/etc (aka cut parts). its not mastering software.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
wado1942's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey, don't forget CEP! (Audition before Adobe bought it and it became the bloated hog it is now)
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg ➑️
IMO, if it cant burn a CD/PQ code/etc (aka cut parts). its not mastering software.
True. I am personally more interested in what MEs use for sonic finalizing.

What SW would you include in a list of disc image printing software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➑️
Unless you define 'mastering software' as software that can actually create a CD master with PQ codes etc. Some of that software listed can be used for mastering, but not actually creating a CD master.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➑️
Hey, don't forget CEP! (Audition before Adobe bought it and it became the bloated hog it is now)
CEP hasn't been updated since 2003 when Adobe bought it. I plan to include only software that's current and maintained.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 
Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick ➑️
I'll post the survey in a day or so. Here's the list so far:
To clarify (and add to) your list with some categories worth considering:

can output both CD-R master & DDP
Sonic Studio SoundBlade / Premaster
Magix Sequoia
Prism Sound SADiE
Audio Cube (uses Steinberg WaveLab)
Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor
Gear Pro Mastering (but minimal editing capabilities)

CD-R master output - DDP add on available but additional cost option
BIAS Peak Pro XT
Merging Pyramix
Steinberg Wavelab

CD-R audio master output only (no DDP)
Magix Samplitude
RML Labs SAWStudio w/ JMS Audioware CSG add on
Sony CD Architect
DSP Quattro
TC Spark

processing ONLY - no direct mastering capabilities
Audacity
Cakewalk Sonar
Digidesign ProTools HD
MOTU Digital Performer
Reaper
Sony Sound Forge
Sony Vegas
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo
Apple Logic Studio
(add your other favorite standard DAW app here)

CD-R burning only - minimal editing
Roxio Toast
Nero
Exact Audio Copy
Burrrn
Goldenhawk CDRWin
Acon Digital Acoustica
Apple WaveBurner

I'm sure there's a number of others that I missed.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Wow. That's helpful. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
To clarify (and add to) your list with some categories worth considering:

can output both CD-R master & DDP
Sonic Studio SoundBlade / Premaster
Magix Sequoia
Prism Sound SADiE
Audio Cube (uses Steinberg WaveLab)
Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor
Gear Pro Mastering (but minimal editing capabilities)

CD-R master output - DDP add on available but additional cost option
BIAS Peak Pro XT
Merging Pyramix
Steinberg Wavelab

CD-R audio master output only (no DDP)
Magix Samplitude
RML Labs SAWStudio w/ JMS Audioware CSG add on
Sony CD Architect
DSP Quattro
TC Spark

processing ONLY - no direct mastering capabilities
Audacity
Cakewalk Sonar
Digidesign ProTools HD
MOTU Digital Performer
Reaper
Sony Sound Forge
Sony Vegas
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo
Apple Logic Studio
(add your other favorite standard DAW app here)

CD-R burning only - minimal editing
Roxio Toast
Nero
Exact Audio Copy
Burrrn
Goldenhawk CDRWin
Acon Digital Acoustica
Apple WaveBurner

I'm sure there's a number of others that I missed.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Just to clarify, Cubetec is doing Audio Cube rigs using the Sequoia software as well as Wavelab/Nuendo. AFAIK, all the plugins have been ported to work with Sequoia. You still need the Mykerinos card as a form of copy protection, but otherwise Sequoia can be used with any ASIO sound card.

--Ben
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
fader8's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
CD-R audio master output only (no DDP)
Magix Samplitude
RML Labs SAWStudio w/ JMS Audioware CSG add on
Sony CD Architect
DSP Quattro
TC Spark

processing ONLY - no direct mastering capabilities
Audacity
Cakewalk Sonar
Digidesign ProTools HD
MOTU Digital Performer
Reaper
Sony Sound Forge
Sony Vegas
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo
Apple Logic Studio
(add your other favorite standard DAW app here)
Hey Cellotron,
Nice roundup. Just to clarify and correct the two sections above, change Apple Logic Studio to Apple Logic Pro. Then add Apple Waveburner to the first section because it has no DDP output. Very similar to CD Architect.

Re. Waveburner is included in the Logic Studio suite of apps, but is not part of Logic Pro.

Another important distinction with mastering software is which ones allow inserting external hardware into the plug-in process chain. For example, Waveburner does not, but SoundBlade does, etc.
Old 8th February 2009
  #29
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Wavelab/Samplitude
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
MichaelPatrick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The survey is active in another thread

Thanks for your input.

This thread has served its purpose and all your inputs became a list that's now a survey thread in the Mastering forum, and results are coming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugin ➑️
Wavelab/Samplitude
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 577 views: 33523
Avatar for kdm
kdm 1st July 2009
replies: 50 views: 5750
Avatar for Animus
Animus 26th April 2010
replies: 295 views: 74359
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181868
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump