Backline: DDP Player/Burner for the Mac - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Backline: DDP Player/Burner for the Mac
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Backline: DDP Player/Burner for the Mac

Thought this might be of interest here on the mastering forum:

Backline (download) is our new utility for Mac OS X. Think of it as Cocktail or OnyX for audio geeks. What does it do?

- DDP Player: Load a DDP 2.0 set, browse its metadata, listen to the tracks, and burn to CD
- Audio File First Aid: repair malformed audio files
- Effect Manager: manages Audio Units and VST plug-ins including SmartGroups
- Effect Update: Effect Manager integrates with our forthcoming online plug-in database and tells you when updates to your plug-ins have posted (think MacUpdate + software update for plug-ins)
- Effect Audition: load any Audio Units or VST effect and see how it sounds using our built-in sound files or your own
- MIDI Tools: MIDI Monitor, MIDI Clock, MIDI Timecode Generator
- Reset Audio System: Reset CoreAudio server (coreaudiod), clear the Audio Components Cache, Stop CoreMIDI server
- Audiofile Engineering Tools: back up/restore all of your Audiofile settings such as keyboard shortcuts, reset preferences, reset effect caches, uninstall

Effect Manager and Audiofile-specific tools are free. The rest of the tools (MIDI, Audio File First Aid, Effect Audition) will require a license key (tentatively $19). DDP Player will require its own, separate paid license (TBD). Both paid modes can be purchased and used independently.

Please check it out and let us know what you think. If you would like a beta license key, please contact me at [email protected].

We have a whole bunch of other tools we'll be adding in future updates (virtual instrument audition, RTAS & TDM support in Effect Manager, CD-TEXT validator and more).
Old 3rd February 2009
Mastering

🎧 15 years
Right now I don't need this tool, but I'd like to applaud Audiofile Engineering for providing a whole new set of progressive, mastering quality tools for the Mac. Those guys are serious.

BK
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I'd like to know how this works. I'm sceptical of letting some software 'auto' setting change my files, especially when I don't know what or how they are changing things.

F.x., does it preserve any bext metadata that might be present while it does it's repairs?

Cheers,
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foust ➑️

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor ➑️
I'd like to know how this works. I'm sceptical of letting some software 'auto' setting change my files, especially when I don't know what or how they are changing things.

F.x., does it preserve any bext metadata that might be present while it does it's repairs?

Cheers,
Thor
That's why Audio File First Aid...

A) does not modify the original file (it renames the old file and creates a new file)
B) tells you exactly what it's going to do to fix the file and gives you choice if there are multiple ways to repair it

Here is a quick overview of the feature: Audio File First Aid on Vimeo
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Backline (download) is our new utility for Mac OS X. Think of it as Cocktail or OnyX for audio geeks. What does it do?

- DDP Player: Load a DDP 2.0 set, browse its metadata, listen to the tracks, and burn to CD

Looks like a useful utility Matthew, I'l have to give it a test drive!

Cheers - JT
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just to be clear, Matthew. The DDP Player can only play and view the DDP file set, right? It does not have any editors to allow changes to, and then a rewrite of the file set, correct?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fader8 ➑️
Just to be clear, Matthew. The DDP Player can only play and view the DDP file set, right? It does not have any editors to allow changes to, and then a rewrite of the file set, correct?
Correct. There had been some discussion in previous threads regarding the need for a tool like this for the Mac. Wave Editor can import a DDP set and rewrite it, Backline can only read/play/burn an existing set.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Correct. There had been some discussion in previous threads regarding the need for a tool like this for the Mac. Wave Editor can import a DDP set and rewrite it, Backline can only read/play/burn an existing set.
Thank you. I was hoping for that answer. I have this in mind for a couple of my clients to purchase. That way they can download the same DDP I've provided the replicator. A nice final proofing method. It would scare me if they were able to edit the thing!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fader8 ➑️
Thank you. I was hoping for that answer. I have this in mind for a couple of my clients to purchase. That way they can download the same DDP I've provided the replicator. A nice final proofing method. It would scare me if they were able to edit the thing!
We're currently looking at ways we can provide bulk licenses to mastering studios. If you or anyone else would like to take part in that discussion, please let me know.

Last edited by Matthew Foust; 4th February 2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: eye kant spel
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're currently looking at ways we can provide bulk licenses to mastering studios. If you or anyone else would like to take part in that discussion, please let me know.
Matthew,

If the program meets our needs - and we're checking that out - this is exactly what we're looking for.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nice! Will it also become available for pc users?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Hogeterp ➑️
Nice! Will it also become available for pc users?
Not from us, we develop exclusively for Mac OS X.

Also, I was under the impression that there is a tool for Windows. Perhaps someone here can verify.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Also, I was under the impression that there is a tool for Windows. Perhaps someone here can verify.
Not at your price point. I think you guys own the Mac market on this one.

GR
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Sonoris is working on making what I believe will be an affordable alternative DDP solution for PC, but currently the coding is behind their originally expected schedule. Knowing their other products I have a feeling it will be very good.

Gear also has their "Pro Mastering" software that can export to DDP - but it's been an awfully long time since they announced an upcoming version 8 update that would allow loadback of DDP for verification and it still hasn't been released yet afaik.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Now, what is the basic difference between this new software and Wave Editor ?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➑️
A preview of its features is here:
DDP Creator - Sonoris Audio Engineering

Besides the obvious difference that it is for PC other than Mac, it's not an editing package and instead a utility that allows for quickly making CD-R masters or DDPi, including all subcodes, from wav or aiff files. It also allows for import of CD layouts directly from cue sheets. The beta hasn't been released yet though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is a utility that allows one to listen to and burn copies of DDP file sets. Wave Editor is a full-fledged sound design, waveform editing, and mastering tool.
pmj
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Matthew - this looks great.

I use Wave Editor primariy for the DDP aspect, so this should be great for people who just need this element of functionality.

Any chance that there will ever be some kind of CD-R disc error checking functionality available within this (or Wave Editor)?

Still come across pressing plants not savvy with DDP and at present, nothing like this seems to exist for Mac (other than bogging down your system with Bootcamp & XP in order to run PlextorTools...)

Do you do requests...? heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Julian ➑️
Any chance that there will ever be some kind of CD-R disc error checking functionality available within this (or Wave Editor)?

Still come across pressing plants not savvy with DDP and at present, nothing like this seems to exist for Mac (other than bogging down your system with Bootcamp & XP in order to run PlextorTools...)
Yes, this is definitely in the works for Backline.
pmj
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Can't wait...
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will Backline be part of StudioLife?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Julian ➑️

Quote:
Excellent Matthew !

Something resembling PlexTools/Utilities for MAC OS X would be a real winner.

JT
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here's an idea (just in case noone has suggested it yet) for DDP Player:

- make a PC version as well
- make it so the app and one DDP image can be packed into one executable (that can only play THAT image)
- make the interface brandable with a logo
- sell to mastering studios to use as an eMastering delivery / client proofing solution... As it is, there's no real solution to get images to clients in a foolproof way, which is a bit of a pain. A DDP player/burning app that'd be geared toward that would really fill a void.

Quote:

- Effect Manager: manages Audio Units and VST plug-ins including SmartGroups
- Effect Update: Effect Manager integrates with our forthcoming online plug-in database and tells you when updates to your plug-ins have posted (think MacUpdate + software update for plug-ins)
- Effect Audition: load any Audio Units or VST effect and see how it sounds using our built-in sound files or your own
- MIDI Tools: MIDI Monitor, MIDI Clock, MIDI Timecode Generator
- Reset Audio System: Reset CoreAudio server (coreaudiod), clear the Audio Components Cache, Stop CoreMIDI server
- Audiofile Engineering Tools: back up/restore all of your Audiofile settings such as keyboard shortcuts, reset preferences, reset effect caches, uninstall

Effect Manager and Audiofile-specific tools are free. The rest of the tools (MIDI, Audio File First Aid, Effect Audition) will require a license key (tentatively $19). DDP Player will require its own, separate paid license (TBD). Both paid modes can be purchased and used independently.

Please check it out and let us know what you think. If you would like a beta license key, please contact me at [email protected].

We have a whole bunch of other tools we'll be adding in future updates (virtual instrument audition, RTAS & TDM support in Effect Manager, CD-TEXT validator and more).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is a utility that allows one to listen to and burn copies of DDP file sets. Wave Editor is a full-fledged sound design, waveform editing, and mastering tool.
So for those who already have Wave Editor, the new software is redundant ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
A preview of its features is here:
DDP Creator - Sonoris Audio Engineering

Besides the obvious difference that it is for PC other than Mac, it's not an editing package and instead a utility that allows for quickly making CD-R masters or DDPi, including all subcodes, from wav or aiff files. It also allows for import of CD layouts directly from cue sheets. The beta hasn't been released yet though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
My question was directed towards Backline vs Wave Editor difference ... But this Sonority DDP Creator looks great .. If the price will be reasonable (like Wave Editor), it will be extremely useful and welcome ...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm rabidly hungry for the Sonoris product... In fairly desperate need of it to be honest!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So for those who already have Wave Editor, the new software is redundant ?
Not really.

There are two separate licenses available for Backline, one to unlock the basic paid features and one to unlock the DDP Player/Burner.

One feature that Backline DDP has that Wave Editor does not (yet) is the ability to burn multiples.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➑️
Here's an idea (just in case noone has suggested it yet) for DDP Player:

- make a PC version as well.
Won't happen with us. It's just not our bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➑️
- make it so the app and one DDP image can be packed into one executable (that can only play THAT image)
- make the interface brandable with a logo
- sell to mastering studios to use as an eMastering delivery / client proofing solution... As it is, there's no real solution to get images to clients in a foolproof way, which is a bit of a pain. A DDP player/burning app that'd be geared toward that would really fill a void.
This is absolutely doable and we've discussed it quite a bit. If there is interest, we can do it. If you or anyone would like to discuss this further offline, please contact me.
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is absolutely doable and we've discussed it quite a bit. If there is interest, we can do it. If you or anyone would like to discuss this further offline, please contact me.
I for one would be very interested in that. Especially if that executable could be somehow cross platform (and 100% standalone of course).

Like Robin said it would be an ideal client proofing solution.

I'm sure 100's of people on this forum alone that would be interested.

regards,
Klaas-Jan Govaart
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg ➑️
I for one would be very interested in that. Especially if that executable could be somehow cross platform (and 100% standalone of course).

Like Robin said it would be an ideal client proofing solution.

I'm sure 100's of people on this forum alone that would be interested.

regards,
Klaas-Jan Govaart
Absolutely... but cross-platform compatibility would be necessary.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…