Quantcast
do you judge/ set up compression at a different monitor spl than your eq volume? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
do you judge/ set up compression at a different monitor spl than your eq volume?
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
do you judge/ set up compression at a different monitor spl than your eq volume?

or not? heh

steff
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Not particularly - I tend to listen and adjust at various levels (but always keeping in mind where I am in relation to "home").
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I work at around the same level most of the time with minor adjustments from time to time to keep the ears fresh. Same as John, I guess.

With regards to your question, I sometimes do a radical -20dB dim on the monitor controller to re-evaluate compression because I find pumping a tad more obvious, more "detached" at lower levels.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I listen to the bulk of my work at 83dB. I also listen to the master in mono and also on headphones. Once and a while, I pull down the volume to as low as 70dB because that's where most people will be listening to it. I also sometimes turn off my subwoofer. But really, I spend 90% of my time working at 83dB regardless of what stage in the job I am.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➑️
I listen to the bulk of my work at 83dB.
I hope that it's not pop/rock mastering at current levels you do at 83 dB calib point
Lives for gear

Verified Member
13 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can't say I listen compression at any different level, but for checking out high end balance and various sources of distortion, it works for me to dim the speakers way low. Also, if you're assembling an album with very different kinds of tracks, tweaking the song levels at a tiny volume can at least get you to the ball park.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well i must say that on setting the attack and release times, i often raise the monitor level for a short while so i can actually 'feel' what they do for the punch / tightness.

Just as well, as others mention, i tend to double-check the amount of compression (pumping) on soft monitor levels.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right,

I mean the boobies ... tutt
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…