Quantcast
Favorite analog comps for mastering - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite analog comps for mastering
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I hate to ask again but I'm very curious. Why no love for the D.W. Fearn VT-7?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo ➑️
On my radar:
Two on my list to try are the Requisite and the Elysia.
The Requisite is very sweet but delicate (as in construction wise as it is point to point)
The Elysia is very powerful but expensive (hide your credit card if you decide to try it!)
They are at the opposite side of the spectrum and complement each other very well.

The Fearn is also a class unit, works on many things.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
I love it and actually like it better than the Cranesong because it is able to add a little character.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Likely because not many have had it for a test drive. It's not the cheapest unit and you don't really see them used.
I personally haven't heard it, but would love to. Not sure if I would want to spend that much (ca. 5000 Euro for the mastering version) on it though. It'd have to be pretty special.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ergonomically it's not the best out there for mastering in that controls are all continuously variable and in that there afaik a cooling fan in the unit. Other than that - the tiny bit that of tracks that I heard processed with it definitely sounded really nice.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
and in that there afaik a cooling fan in the unit.
A cooling fan? Really?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➑️
A cooling fan? Really?
According to page 15 of the pdf of the manual I downloaded for it at User manual DW FEARN VT7 - User guide DW FEARN VT7 - Operating instructions DW FEARN VT7 - English - Diplodocs
->
"A small (45mm) fan is mounted on the right side panel. The fan outlet should not be blocked."

I'm not sure whether this has been changed in the latest models, but I don't think it has.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➑️
According to page 15 of the pdf of the manual I downloaded for it at User manual DW FEARN VT7 - User guide DW FEARN VT7 - Operating instructions DW FEARN VT7 - English - Diplodocs
->
"A small (45mm) fan is mounted on the right side panel. The fan outlet should not be blocked."

I'm not sure whether this has been changed in the latest models, but I don't think it has.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Thanks Steve. That's good news, one less unit I have to try
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
I love it and actually like it better than the Cranesong because it is able to add a little character.
The VT-7 has the STC-8 action with the tube line stage of a Fearn, so it's gotta be a winner. Have not heard it, however.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the answers guys. I've used, (But don't own one) and love it. I haven't used every compressor ever made but I'll say this. It's the best sounding compressor I've ever used. I talked to Doug about adding a wet/dry mix control. That's the only thing that I feel this unit is lacking. I did do some homework and found a work around using two A Design ATTYs however.

vt-7_compressorVT-7 Compressor

A Designs ATTY | Sweetwater.com
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey ➑️
The VT-7 has the STC-8 action with the tube line stage of a Fearn, so it's gotta be a winner. Have not heard it, however.
That thought makes me DROOL. Nicely put. Makes me wonder which other comps out there have tube paths with solid state GR control...

As a side note: It's funny though how most here equate the STC-8 with clean, some even with "too clean". I use it for colour/effect/punch/bounce most of the time.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That thought makes me DROOL. Nicely put. Makes me wonder which other comps out there have tube paths with solid state GR control...

As a side note: It's funny though how most here equate the STC-8 with clean, some even with "too clean". I use it for colour/effect/punch/bounce most of the time.
i definitely hear high end color on the STC-8, which is really pleasant. but it's nowhere near as colorful as the api 2500 which has a simultaneously grainy and sparkly high end.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
The STC-8 can certainly add some character - if you want it to. It's clean but a proven and very flexible workhorse. The Vertigo, too, though I wouldn't call either one a full replacement for the other.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
API 2500, Chandler TG1 (THD setting for rock), SSL Bus Comp (Waves Plugin)..also the Waves L3D16 is great (even though it's not a compressor)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread is for only analog comps, no plug-ins! tutt

Does no one use the EL Fatso? I heard some people are using it on the mix buss..
I haven't been able to try it out though..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have demoed the Fearn before buying EAR660 and it was on top of the list.
Very similar action to STC-8 which I owned at the time, I think they share some of the design if I remember correctly. Both posh and polite sounding, Fearn more colour ("warmth"), size and character yet subtle, still clean, slightly soft if memory serves me right. I don't rate STC-8 as "transparent" (it pushes the low mids forward a bit so "larger than life") or a "character" unit. Fearn did have a cooling fan. If one likes STC-8 the chances are they'll like Fearn even more. I did.
Old 16th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
How's the Manley Variable for limiting? I'm looking for a good tube Limiter/compressor for mastering purposes, and it's right in my price range. I'm really happy with my mixes but need a good limiter to raise the volume. Any such victories with this unit?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Adding to the discussion with another piece that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet -
Got to say after a few months of some head scratching trying to figure out what it works best on and how to set it for best results I've really started to really love what the Focusrite Blue 330 mark I (with transformer balanced i/o) can do for rock and other aggressive genres like hip-hop. If you smack its transformer's output with some gain and things just get "big" with it. Definitely not the only compressor you would want in your rack - but it fills a nice niche for me as it does things my API 2500 and Pendulum OCL-2 don't.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hi,

you must hear my specially modded dominators! they rule. all peaks totally flattened, without remorse.

i am adding a second loudness button.

right.
Old 17th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've always used an STC8... That low-mid push you guys are talking about is the thing I love about it. I was thinking about getting the OCL2 at some point in the future as a nice compliment. I've also been seeing them at Grundmann's, Oceanway, Marcussen, etc... not trying to jock them too much, but there must be something to it. Marcussen told me that the Pendulum sounds nice on material that is intended to sound "vintage-y".

Is anyone here using the Maselec MLA2? Would that be worth checking out?
Old 18th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
[quote=24-96 Mastering;3886756]That thought makes me DROOL. Nicely put. Makes me wonder which other comps out there have tube paths with solid state GR control...

The Tubetech Cl1a/b falls into that category, though they don't really make it very clear in the manual:

The TUBE-TECH compressor CL 1B differs from many other compressors, in that the gain-
reduction element is made from a non-semiconductor element, which in itself has a very low
harmonic distortion and none of the non-linearity problems involved when using most
semiconductor elements. Furthermore there is no long-term degradation of the element thus
giving it almost infinite life. This element is placed after the input-transformer of the compres-
sor and followed by an all tube-based amplifier with a gain of -dB to +30 dB.
Thus the signal is not fed through any semiconductor circuitry on its way to the output.

But I think it's the element doing the work (anyone know what actual type?) which then goes down the tube path. All I can say is it often works miracles, sometimes is useless... Very interesting compressor though.

The King

Last edited by William Bowden; 18th April 2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden ➑️

The Tubetech Cl1a/b falls into that category, though they don't really make it very clear in the manual:

The TUBE-TECH compressor CL 1B differs from many other compressors, in that the gain-
reduction element is made from a non-semiconductor element, which in itself has a very low
harmonic distortion and none of the non-linearity problems involved when using most
semiconductor elements. Furthermore there is no long-term degradation of the element thus
giving it almost infinite life. This element is placed after the input-transformer of the compres-
sor and followed by an all tube-based amplifier with a gain of -dB to +30 dB.
Thus the signal is not fed through any semiconductor circuitry on its way to the output.

But I think it's the element doing the work (anyone know what actual type?) which then goes down the tube path. All I can say is it often works miracles, sometimes is useless... Very interesting compressor though.

The King
Thanks, yet another reason to try the CL1Bs / CL2A out some time.
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oky**** ➑️
hi,

you must hear my specially modded dominators! they rule. all peaks totally flattened, without remorse.

i am adding a second loudness button.

right.
can you tell a bit more about what was modified?
Old 22nd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A cooling fan? Really?
I have just bought the VT7 (I mix, no mastering). Just got it back from Doug after repair. Believe that it's the first VT7 repair he's done... They're sooo lovely built so I just had some very bad luck, having to send it all the way from Europe and all. Even before I sent it I liked it, but after a while I noticed that something wasn't 100% right. I believe that the PWM board was the problem, so he replaced it. Anyway, got it on my mix bus for the first time last week and almost jumped out of my chair. Couldn't stop smiling! Only use it to add some glue, with the meters hardly moving. Lovely!

Re the fan, I hate it when I mix at low volume and the fan on my Apple laptop (4 meters behind mix position) goes on occasionally. The VT7 sits in a rack 2 meters behind me, and I can't hear it unless I come really close to it. Ok, my studio isn't like your superbly built/treated mastering rooms, but anyway...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I love my API 2500, the only hardware comp I own (most of the stuff I master is hip hop and it works well for it); I would like an STC-8 too, hopefully I'll get one soon!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone using a Summit DCL DCL-200?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by formlabs ➑️
Anyone using a Summit DCL DCL-200?
They use them in a couple of the big mastering places here in london
πŸ“ Reply