Quantcast
Chandler Curve Bender - Why it rocks and so easy. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Curve Bender - Why it rocks and so easy.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Chandler Curve Bender - Why it rocks and so easy.

I just used the Chandler Curve Bender on a rock mastering session. My chain was:

Waves L3D16 (with Bus 1 to Sony Oxford Transient Modulator to keep the strong attack & a little touch of Bus 2 Waves SSL Bus Comp) ----> Ouptut from MacPro ----> Chandler Curve Bender ---> API 2500 ---> Chandler TG1(THD % setting) ---> Apogee AD 16X (with UV Soft Limit in place).

I have to say wow!! I'm borrowing a demo Chandler Curve Bender right now and when I printed the master tracks, my meters remained consistently at or slightly above -10 RMS with plenty of dynamic room overall. The Curve Bender gave me that instant sound. I did clinical tweaking inside of Logic Pro (yes I was using Logic Pro to master because I also had some automation going on). So when my signal came out of the Mac it was ever so slightly compressed. When it hit the Curve Bender I was just floored at how it grabs and adds that "sound". I found it extremely quick to find the right settings, since they built the Curve Bender with fixed Q points. The album was went straight to ProTools when this NYC band, Fleming, recorded their record. So the Chandler added that warmth and attitude you get from tape; and we waste so much time trying to emulate "warmth" and attitude with plugins. Next in the chain--the API 2500--it was perfect after I found the right attack and release settings. I usually compressed at 3:1.

Then finally the Chandler TG1 with the THD% setting ranging from 4-6%. Everyone was so pleased with how the masters sounded. I was able to get a sound similar to the Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, The Strokes, basically the "it" sound of an indie NYC band (I mention Arctic Monkeys cause they used the TG desk to mix).

We did the car test driving around NYC and it was all smiles. The Curve Bender saved my so much time and was such a joy to use. Easy, nice bold broad strokes and just killer. I tried an A - B test with the non mastering version of the Massive Passive, and I have to say that for this particular genre - rock, the Chandler was the clear winner. I didn't even turn on the Massive Passive when the band arrived. We just went with the Chandler and kept talking about how much we loved the sound we got.

Now I'm gonna have to shell out the cash and get the Curve Bender!! I'm gonna have to also get the GML 8200. I've been wanting that EQ forever and I think that would be the perfect compliment to the Curve Bender. It'll give me that precise, beautiful EQ and the Chandler will supply the attitude. Any thoughts on those two together?

A very happy person,
S

Replies welcomed!!
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Waves L3D16 (with Bus 1 to Sony Oxford Transient Modulator to keep the strong attack & a little touch of Bus 2 Waves SSL Bus Comp) ----> Ouptut from MacPro ----> Chandler Curve Bender ---> API 2500 ---> Chandler TG1(THD % setting) ---> Apogee AD 16X (with UV Soft Limit in place).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** Sorry I should add that I was going out through an Apogee DA 16X --> Dangerous 2 BUS LT..

I was also monitoring with the Dangerous ST Monitor, using Focal Twins as my main speakers *(and also using a Subwoofer to check the lows, a pair of Yamaha NS-10s, a TV, a laptop and a few others to listen)
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Also forgot to mention that I used the Waves Center plugin as my M/S and Center tool. I used this after the Waves L3D16. Just a little touch and some automation on it for different parts of the songs. It rocks!! I love this plugin. Automate away!!! Sounds both rich and clean, and a time saver again since you can automate the varying M/S and Center tweaks...Did I mention automating the M/S and Center??? Oh, yeah and I use the Euphonix MC Control to get clinical on it yo!

Thank you Waves for making the Center plugin. It's awesome.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
CORRECTION:

Wade turned the 9 selections on the vintage version into 51 eq points plus a multiply switch that increases the boost/cut to 15db (as well as sharpening the Q), filters, and bell/shelf selections on the high and low bands.

Chandler Limited | Products: TG12345 Curve Bender -
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wow! Can't wait to hear the mix/master Sloan... Email it to me when u can...

I've been meaning to check out the 'Waves Center' plug.

I've also had good luck using the Chandler 'Germanium-Comp'... Gotta love the wet/dry par-comp in a box!

How are those Focals? I've heard great things. I'm on the market for a new pair or something... I'm onto something, I'll let you know how it works out.

I didn't know you got the 2500... sick! I'm trying to decide between a TG1, Smart, 33609, or Thermonic Phoenix...

What sub are you using with the 10's/Focals?

Thanks for the detailed/great post! soon... FLO
πŸ“ Reply