Quantcast
So what happened to the Jan 2009 Ozone 4 release ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So what happened to the Jan 2009 Ozone 4 release ?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So what happened to the Jan 2009 Ozone 4 release ?

This is the last business day in January.

Have iZotope missed their Jan 2009 release date for Ozone 4 ?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I emailed them earlier this week and they told me it was coming out today. I've been checking the website all day and nothing.
cam
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
I emailed them earlier this week and they told me it was coming out today.
cam
Excellent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
No worries, it's coming out tonight.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
...I've been checking the website all day and nothing.
cam
You too eh. We should both probably get lives
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
We can rest easy now. it's out.

can't wait to hear the new limiter mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMHO The loudness compensation between engaged/bypass modes and Mid/Side functions alone make it a no-brainer upgrade for Oz 3 owners...especially at the intro upgrade price of $79!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashi ➑️
We can rest easy now. it's out.

can't wait to hear the new limiter mode.

New mode is quite good, more punch and a touch more brightness/air than before.

Overal my first impressions of the limiter are quite positive.
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
wow, that new limiter is something else.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg ➑️
wow, that new limiter is something else.

It sounds impressive, however switching between the "Intelligent" and "Intellegent II" modes seems to change the stereo image quite a lot so I'm having second thoughts.

I'm feel like I'm craving for a mode that is somewhere between the two modes.
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
hmm, good listening. i'll listen deeper in the morning..

but, something about it mode II was very very nice...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, intelligent 2 is really nice. I might agree that its narrower, though sometimes to me brighter sounds narrower. Hard to tell. But tonally its immediately very pleasing.

Anyway, someone on Brad's forum told me there would be an unlink option for the limiter which I am not finding, much to my disappointment.
Deleted User #43636
Download link on the Izotope website doesnt work...

EDIT : it's working now !
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
after spending some time this morning with ozone4, the new limiter does have a diff imaging then the original "intelligent" (mostly the center to my ears)

not saying if i like it better or not, but it is cleaner then the original, thats for sure.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Intelligent II limiter mode - WOW!

I'd always heard people rave about Ozone's limiter, but I thought it to be quite soft and smeary, often producing rather pathetic results.

I bought Voxengo's Elephant 3 when it was released last year after I was totally blown away by the sound...

Comparing Elephant 3 to Ozone 4's Intelligent II mode sounds like chalk and cheese - Alexei Lukin, you've done it! Ozone sounds amazing.

(It's like a battle of the Alexeis )
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
Yeah, intelligent 2 is really nice. I might agree that its narrower, though sometimes to me brighter sounds narrower. Hard to tell. But tonally its immediately very pleasing.

Anyway, someone on Brad's forum told me there would be an unlink option for the limiter which I am not finding, ...
that would have been me: i referred on bb's forum to the preview that was shown at
aes. afaik, this feature does not appear in the release due to future plans at izotope.
Quote:
... much to my disappointment.
there is so much in this release that improves this tool in every way;
for now: please, have a flower

jeff dinces
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus ➑️
that would have been me: i referred on bb's forum to the preview that was shown at
aes. afaik, this feature does not appear in the release due to future plans at izotope.

there is so much in this release that improves this tool in every way;
for now: please, have a flower

jeff dinces
Yeah, its still an awesome tool. It just sucks to have to bus out 2 mono instances of Ozone.
Deleted User #43636
The EQ in M/S mode is really great.
There are plenty of cool stuff in this new version of Ozone.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg ➑️
after spending some time this morning with ozone4, the new limiter does have a diff imaging then the original "intelligent" (mostly the center to my ears)

not saying if i like it better or not, but it is cleaner then the original, thats for sure.

Has anyone else noticed that the "prevent inter-sample clips" option seems to have a biger impact on the sound than it did before. (Intellegent II mode).

I'm now considering using Ozone without this option checked.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescater ➑️
Has anyone else noticed that the "prevent inter-sample clips" option seems to have a biger impact on the sound than it did before. (Intellegent II mode).

I'm now considering using Ozone without this option checked.
It always seemed to have a huge impact to me. I didn't notice it being worse now, but maybe it is.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
It always seemed to have a huge impact to me. I didn't notice it being worse now, but maybe it is.
Yes I've always disliked the sound the 'prevent intersample peaks' option & will continue to leave it off in this new release as well....

At least in Pro Tools you can run a dual mono version of Oz4 which keeps the image intact with Intel II mode.

Matt
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray ➑️
Yes I've always disliked the sound the 'prevent intersample peaks' option & will continue to leave it off in this new release as well....

At least in Pro Tools you can run a dual mono version of Oz4 which keeps the image intact with Intel II mode.

Matt
Still dreaming of an AU based DAW that can do dual mono.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So, are you saying that a stereo track or mix run through Logic for example with Ozone 4 on the master bus will sound different run through ProTools with Ozone 4 ( and the same setting) on the master bus because ProTools is dual mono?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun ➑️
So, are you saying that a stereo track or mix run through Logic for example with Ozone 4 on the master bus will sound different run through ProTools with Ozone 4 ( and the same setting) on the master bus because ProTools is dual mono?
Dual mono has the ability to unlink the sides. Thus the right side isn't affected when the left channel triggers the limiter. Really helps with the width factor. All mes I know run limiters unlinked. (As well as compressors for that matter).

I think thats a large reason for the hardware L2s success is the ability to run it unlinked.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I only have the one analog compressor and have indeed noticed that it sounds wider and more open in dual mono than when it's stereo linked but I use Ozone (in Logic) as a final Limiter afterwards so I'm slightly bummed to hear that this would also sound *better* unlinked but that I don't have that option, however negligible that difference might be.

Oh well, out of the handful of software limiters I've tried, Ozone (mainly just using the loudness maximizer) has been my favourite sounding so far.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray ➑️

Matt

Ok so I tried the dual Mono option using Cakewalk (sending the track to two busses panned L & R)

This did improve the stereo image a bit, but may have taken some impact from the center.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescater ➑️
Ok so I tried the dual Mono option using Cakewalk (sending the track to two busses panned L & R)

This did improve the stereo image a bit, but may have taken some impact from the center.
Its a tradeoff. If its not pulling down both the sides at once, it won't hit as hard. But for me, I don't want a limiter to hit hard. I want it to not be there.

Though of course, if you are doing more than like 1.5 db of reduction, the imaging might get funny.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun ➑️
I only have the one analog compressor and have indeed noticed that it sounds wider and more open in dual mono than when it's stereo linked but I use Ozone (in Logic) as a final Limiter afterwards so I'm slightly bummed to hear that this would also sound *better* unlinked but that I don't have that option, however negligible that difference might be.

Oh well, out of the handful of software limiters I've tried, Ozone (mainly just using the loudness maximizer) has been my favourite sounding so far.
yes you can!

put your limiters on busses; and put your dither on the master bus. ozone's
floating point maximizer does not need to be in the last slot on the
master bus (while a dither, of course does need to go there).

jeff dinces
πŸ“ Reply