Any Good Software VU Meters?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any Good Software VU Meters?

I'll start this with a quote from BK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz ➑️
I normally don't run the spectrum analyzer unless it's a boring day and I want to entertain the clients :-).
In my opinion Spectrum Analyzers are WAY overrated, and although not useless, not all that useful.

I can tell just about everythinging I need to know by looking at a VU meter and using my ears (not necessarily in that order) playing a mix with a known peak level. One thing I've never found is a software VU meter that acts anything like the real thing. I've looked at what many that engineers have recommended and never found one.

With a real VU meter you can actually observe the different instruments and frequency ranges causing changes in the RMS level.

Any suggestions on a good software meter bridge that reads like real VU meters?

Bob
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Waves Dorrough Meter Collection

Waves | Bundles | Dorrough Meter Collection

Sorry, These are not traditional VU

TW
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Audiofile Engineering - Spectre

could this be what you are looking for ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I still haven't found a decent software metering system. The most offensive problem with software metering IMHO is the jerkiness. But then, you know my solution to that problem was to build my own portable VU meter box.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering ➑️
The Waves Dorrough Meter Collection

Waves | Bundles | Dorrough Meter Collection

TW
Thanks for the suggestion, but 1 dB resolution is not good enough. When "leveling" a master I want to see 1/4 dB differences. The expanded range is not as useful as the reslution.

Bob
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addni ➑️
Audiofile Engineering - Spectre

could this be what you are looking for ?
Thanks for the suggestion but it looks like way overkill (all those different displays) and I don't use Mac.

Thanks anyway

Bob
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 ➑️
I still haven't found a decent software metering system. The most offensive problem with software metering IMHO is the jerkiness. But then, you know my solution to that problem was to build my own portable VU meter box.
Jerkiness is a problem but I've seen meters that don't have a lot of that. More of a problem is how the meters I've seen tend to read the peaks but not the valleys. (sluggish fall time). To get it to act like a VU meter you would need to specify the action of the spring loaded needle which I think would be a variable rise & release time.

So I have my own little meter box.

Take Care

Bob
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps:

PSP VintageMeter free metering plug-in VST, MAS, RTAS and DirectX compatible!

Never tried it myself though.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
As of software frequency analyzers, they are useless for stuff below 50 Hz. And this is exactly where you need most precision to set the high pass during mastering session. I still use my ear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try ppmulator

Raw Material Software - PPMulator
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
Thank you for that link. looks good and costs 10% of the Waves Doughrough

I'm going to demo them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg ➑️
Thank you for that link. looks good and costs 10% of the Waves Doughrough

I'm going to demo them.
got them myself a few weeks back. well worth the price of a few drinks!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Let us know how they compare to RME digicheck

I know it's not really the same... but I am really getting a lot of info from the 4 bar meter in digicheck
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➑️
Let us know how they compare to RME digicheck

I know it's not really the same... but I am really getting a lot of info from the 4 bar meter in digicheck
Will do.

Yes, DIGICheck is great. I use the 4 bar all the time too. Oversampled peak, Leq(b) filtered RMS aes17, and slow RMS marker. Checking the phase/width on the "vector scope" every now and then and together with my mono switch that is all I ever really need. I do flip L/R sometimes if I need a fresh perspective.

Don't really need any other metering, but sometimes it is nice to have a plug in your host, to tap into a specific point in the signal path.
I never use the RME analyser, I do use the free Voxengo SPAN incidentally.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sonoris seems pretty well-respected, and is all K-systemed up.

PSP do a Vintage Meter if you're hankering for needleflicker.

not for levels, but i do love the SSL X-Ism. for those of us on a very low operating budget, it's great to have some legit SSL gear
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg ➑️
Wil do.

Yes, DIGICheck is great. I use the 4 bar all the time too. Oversampled peak, Leq(b) filtered RMS aes17, and slow RMS marker. Checking the phase/width on the "vector scope" every now and then and together with my mono switch that is all I ever really need. I do flip L/R sometimes if I need a fresh perspective.

Don't really need any other metering, but sometimes it is nice to have a plug in your host, to tap into a specific point in the signal path.
Never use the RME analyser, I do use the free Voxengo SPAN incidentally.
Did I write that ?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I'll check it out and let you know what I think (got a session I got to get to). Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out
Bob
GS Community Manager

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
+1 on this one. Best plug-in I've seen yet.

My 2nd favourite is Spectre from Audiofile Engineering but it's not quite as convenient as a plug-in as it's a standalone app. An RTAS-"linked" version is in development, apparently (ie, it won't be a direct plug-in still, but sort of a ReWire-like approach to linking Pro Tools with Spectre, afaik)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
It's there worst - sorry

Bob
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
It would be nice if Waves did a modeled VU meter like their Dorrough. It's the only software meter I've ever used that is the same as the real thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As for WAVES, I've tried their PAZ among other things. I think they're pretty worthless for just about everything. And they charge way too much also. I wouldn't expect them to come up with a usable VU meter. In fact, of the dozens of WAVES plugs I've tried, the Linear Phase EQ, Renaissance compressor and reverb are the only ones that get my seal of approval. They sure do cost a lot though.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As for WAVES, I've tried their PAZ among other things. I think they're pretty worthless for just about everything. And they charge way too much also. I wouldn't expect them to come up with a usable VU meter. In fact, of the dozens of WAVES plugs I've tried, the Linear Phase EQ, Renaissance compressor and reverb are the only ones that get my seal of approval. They sure do cost a lot though.

Have you tried the API collection, they are quite good too.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescater ➑️
Have you tried the API collection, they are quite good too.
A big yes on that one. Waves API 2500 is very nice.
Rock on!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't say that I have. I may give them a try. But then, I'm getting more and more relient on hardware as time passes.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi all,

Why cant audio monitoring software also monitor the outgoing stream? rather than always fixed to the input stream?

just curious...

best

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The new Ozone 4 plug has K-metering, mid/side metering, input and output and peak/RMS all on the same meter. It also has a phase meter. On the EQ screen it shows the spectrum and you can take like 8 shots if you wan't to compare to other songs.

Also, if it's too expensive for the metering...the limiter/loudnes maximizer and dither are great. The have definitely improved on the other tools with 4 also.

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdisc ➑️
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out
Bob
I had trouble loading the demo into WaveLab as the site seemed to insist on putting it in my Pro Tools plugin files. I did see it in the stand alone version and I know it's not for me.

A VU Meter, due to the (semi?) logarithmic sles gives you precise readings around "0 dB" - The way this is used (by me) is to have a precision attenuator to watch low-level passages meter movement precisely if there is a need for that. The idea of a scale having equal space between dB marks sort of defeats the purpose for me.

So before I even see the meter reaction to music, I know this is not the meter for me.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Bob
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I sort of agree about WAVES, although admitedly I haven't tried to use them seriously that much. My partner, on the other hand, loves WAVES and he does a great job - so I know it's possible.

Take Care

Bob
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
The new Ozone 4 plug has K-metering, mid/side metering, input and output and peak/RMS all on the same meter. It also has a phase meter. On the EQ screen it shows the spectrum and you can take like 8 shots if you wan't to compare to other songs.

Also, if it's too expensive for the metering...the limiter/loudnes maximizer and dither are great. The have definitely improved on the other tools with 4 also.

I really like Ozone and use their metering for peak levels - for RMS thety really don't ack like a a real VU Meter, but I'll look at them again. Ozone has a LOT of bang for the buck.

Bob
πŸ“ Reply