Any Good Software VU Meters? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Good Software VU Meters?
Old 4th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➑️

Or, you can also state: I am incapable to really do spectral research with them. Or, I just can't find use with one in my work flow. Or, I simply don't understand those flashing lights. Seriously Superdisc, VU meters and RTAs are 2 different beasts. RTA's display the full frequency spectrum of the signal and can't be compared to a meager measurement instrument that takes 300ms to reach 0VU, has a poor peak level accuracy and is used 'mainly' to average both channels.

Let's stop the use of inappropriate examples to diminish the value that RTA's have to some engineers. By the way, your "partner", the guy who is using Waves { I assume the PAZ} must have found an important feature to make his work a bit easier. It would be a good idea to ask him as to how exactly he uses it.

Regards,
Yeah, Waves PAZ is remarkably bad for almost anything under 1kHz. But either way, Waves PAZ or a great RTA like the screens I posted... any sane engineer should KNOW that even the best RTAs and weighted Spectrograms can be easily fooled a bit in quite a few ways. And that it's just another form of observation. That it should never be the only form of observation.

@ VU ballistics... has anyone actually tried to emulate the meter that Bob is talking about? I would think it takes more than a simple EQ and filtering of the side-chain... but what do I know. I've never tried to code one myself.

The RTA I posted is coded by a friend of mine, and the meter is LKFS + Peak Blip, but personally I'm using the EBU's upcoming tentative LU Meter standards with True Peak (4x) blips with a slight change that I may or may not end up submitting for consideration to EBU. Basically allowing for any True Peak samples that are above the internal short-term gating level WHILE the gate is holding the meter... to effect the actual LU meter. I've tuned it well enough where it seems to allow for a slightly longer internal short-term gating meter (more consistency) and deals with the more transient/percussive material tricking the gating meter, independent of the actual peak levels, and without adding anything but a compare jump to the code for the logic.

But if I was really used to VU meters, I would have no problem having both of them up. The more options the better, if they are well understood in meaning & limitations.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncajesse ➑️
@ VU ballistics... has anyone actually tried to emulate the meter that Bob is talking about? I would think it takes more than a simple EQ and filtering of the side-chain... but what do I know. I've never tried to code one myself.
It seems pretty trivial. There is no need to worry about things like the impedance or loading or the Copper oxide rectifier that is in a "real" VU.

You do need to full-wave rectify the input and fit the rise/fall time integration. IIrc, it is supposed to read from 25-15k +/- 1dB.

10 minutes with the Audio Cyclopedia and I'm sure all the info would be there. I imagine Orban nailed it.

DC
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just got a copy of the original ITU paper that defines the VU meter. The backround color of the scale is defined. Lots of charts and graphs. I have to figure out how to set up links to my server so I can scan it and put it up.

Edit: IRE not ITU. It's a CBS labs publication I have.
Old 5th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➑️
I just got a copy of the original ITU paper that defines the VU meter. The backround color of the scale is defined. Lots of charts and graphs. I have to figure out how to set up links to my server so I can scan it and put it up.

Edit: IRE not ITU. It's a CBS labs publication I have.
Just scan them and put them in the html folder on your website.

DC
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Spectrafoo?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
[strikethrough]Spectrafoo has been gone for sometime now (company out of business and code never updated for new PT or MacIntel)[/strikethrough]

thinking the wrong plugin, so completely wrong, see below
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➑️
They could easily distract you from peering into the monitor, exhibit correct VU time constants, while using exactly zero CPU load.

Sounds dangerous.

DC
I went ahead and hung an older (but high quality in the day) Fisher cassette deck off a pair of monitor outs. Press down 'record' and 'pause' simultaneously and I'm off to the races. The meters are large, responsive, accurate. Ghetto perhaps but cost was zilch.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki ➑️
Spectrafoo has been gone for sometime now (company out of business and code never updated for new PT or MacIntel)
Not true. Spectrafoo (and Metric Halo) is very much alive and version 4.1 is a Universal Binary and OS X.6 compatible on both the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.

In fact, Metric Halo were one of the first developers to support Snow Leopard on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels - pretty impressive if you ask me.

cheers,
Reynaud
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Damn, I was thinking of the wrong plugin. Was thinking about TrooTrace going out of business not Spectrafoo.

Old 8th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Is there a consensus on PPMulator/Spectre, or would I be better grabbing an old unit with VU meters in it from Ebay and hook it up to my minitor outs? I mean, are physical meters going to do the job better? I'm not worried about the price.

I'd have to route the track I want to monitor on the VU meter to that particular output within my DAW, yeh? Meaning I wouldn't be able to actually listen to the track at the same time?

Many thanks,
Sean
Old 8th March 2010 | Show parent
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Beware that lots of gear used cheap meters that only looked like VU meters and were only meant for setting up tones.

Real VU meters were an extra-cost option even on old Ampex tube recorders. It was assumed that you had the real deal Westons to look at on your console.
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood ➑️
Why not just get a pair of real analog VU meters and be done with it?
Exactly.

I got some from Crookwood, run them off the meter outputs on my Avocet. Complete with switched attenuator for dealing with soft, normal, loud and stupid levels...

there're here top of my LH rack
Any Good Software VU Meters?-2.jpg

Not expensive either.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran ➑️
well yeah, they're analog, they'll add wow and flutter, distortion, can't make perfect copies forever and you can't download them for free.

it'll never work...
Real Weston VU meters without buffers actually do add distortion from the rectifiers, but with an IC buffer making the meter a very-high-Z input, no problem. Much discussion about this in the Recordist.com archives.

Real VU meters may not fit in the ProTools closet "control room".

Cheers.
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWKs ➑️
Exactly.

I got some from Crookwood, run them off the meter outputs on my Avocet. Complete with switched attenuator for dealing with soft, normal, loud and stupid levels...

there're here top of my LH rack
Attachment 161983

Not expensive either.
I completely agree. I picked up the Crookwood VU (Sifam) and WOW what a difference they've made! I love how they hover and throb, revealing the weight and energy of the music. It's one of the most important purchases I've ever made. I also have the Mytek DDD603, which I've used for years in VU mode, but now that I have the real thing it is clear the DDD603 is much too fast for VU. Is there a way to slow down the DDD-603?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I've also got the Crookwood Sifams alongside a DDD-603 in my Crookwood's control panel here.

I'm not really much of a meter-watcher (and I hardly ever look at the Mytek), but on those occasional glances, those VUs actually tell me something useful.

-dave
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Real VU meters may not fit in the ProTools closet "control room".
Bull. I used to make stereo VU meter boxes that were a little larger than 1/3rd rack spaces. They were accurate and inexpensive. I sold quite a few of them but I lost interest and stopped persuing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G ➑️
I've also got the Crookwood Sifams alongside a DDD-603 in my Crookwood's control panel here.

I'm not really much of a meter-watcher (and I hardly ever look at the Mytek), but on those occasional glances, those VUs actually tell me something useful.

-dave

Would a Dangerous MQ do a good job, it's got the peak and VU meters. I don't think you can attenuate signal like the Crookwood though. Anythoughts?
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G ➑️

-dave
Same. I actually really like the metering in Sequoia, it has RMS and number of sample overs in real time.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
http://www.for-tune.de/de/images/pgamm.jpg

should be out soon... time for me to switch to mac os then heh

the cool thing about it is you can fully customize the window sizes and colors of every window
Company Rep

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso ➑️
http://www.for-tune.de/de/images/pgamm.jpg

should be out soon... time for me to switch to mac os then heh

the cool thing about it is you can fully customize the window sizes and colors of every window
I've been testing this, the Pinguin still is one of the best 'natural-looking' software meters. Recommended!
Old 14th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe a repeat on this one but this gives a few nice options:

ORBAN Loudness Meter
Old 7th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey the new PSP Audioware VintageMeter is out now. I've been beta testing and it is really good. The PPM dials are even more useful than the VUs.

Been waiting for this a long time.

Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Try Sonalksis FreeG.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
RME's digicheck works for me now,
if you don't own rme, pinguin is really nice, but overpriced IMO and doesn't work inside DAW
another great one is
NuGen Audio Plugins - Video tutorial - Audio Analysis
I've been using it for a while, and it's really great
for 89$ price, it's dirty cheap...
Old 8th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto_larski ➑️
Try Sonalksis FreeG.
+1 stereo or mono i got both and i like them.
Old 8th April 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have used Waves PAZ a lot over the last 10 years or so. I find it indispensable for achieving proper levels while creating final post mixes for broadcast TV where I need to keep dialog and average/peaks at precise levels. For music mastering its not quite as useful. I really miss the old Pro Audio Analyzer by Stephen St. Croix I used for so many years under Mac OS9.

Adam
Whitewater Recording- Home
Old 10th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I like real meters for the analog meter look. 2xAPI in a rack or tabletop frame, with a fine adjustment for each.
Old 10th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At the FF Messe this year at the Steinberg booth with the guy showing me WL7 I asked him why they didn't have VU style meters he laughed at me and told me that they wouldn't be accurate enough.
Whatever.

I like to use the ones on my P38 since they do a fine job.
Did buy an extra RME card for my 2nd computer to have the RME metering as well since it does feel right for me.
Old 30th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know this thread is old, but what about this? HoRNet: HoRNet VU Meter

Any updates from others to check out?
Old 14th January 2012
Deleted 691ca21
this one looks nice, and is cheap:

Index

i tried this new freeware one, from sleepytime, alongside it:

http://sleepytimerecords.com/

but preferred the look/feel/configurability of the klanghelm.

all academic, as i'm gonna order the crookwood real VU soon!
πŸ“ Reply