The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Good Software VU Meters?
Old 1st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addni ➡️
Audiofile Engineering - Spectre

could this be what you are looking for ?

Perfect, exactly what I'm looking for..
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdisc ➡️
A VU Meter, due to the (semi?) logarithmic sles gives you precise readings around "0 dB" - The way this is used (by me) is to have a precision attenuator to watch low-level passages meter movement precisely if there is a need for that. The idea of a scale having equal space between dB marks sort of defeats the purpose for me.
VU is just a voltmeter with particular time constants (300ms rise/fall).

The best VU meter is always a pair of analog meters with buffering, and while I don't recommend any digital analysis shenanigans I'm sure Orban has an accurate model.

ORBAN Loudness Meter

DC
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➡️
Yeah I was gonna suggest that, but haven't used it either. I heard (seen?) that the ballistics are the same, or almost the same as a proper VU + you can change the ref levels etc..
Old 2nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Pinguin Pro and a pair of analog VUs for me. Pinguin does VU and PPM on one scale. The spectrum analyzer is VERY good. The way I've got it showing the logarithmic scale, I know just how much the low end is pushing in a track.

I can clearly see the harmonic structure of instruments with it. Want to show someone the overtone structure of a violin? A trumpet? Very interesting and enlightening.

Using it to set up an analog tape machine is a breeze. Running tone, it's obvious how much third harmonic is present with various bias settings and levels, etc.

It's also very easy to spot clipping on a track using the stereo pattern. You see the Lissajous pattern start to square-off under clipping. It's very responsive with no latency.

The big selling point is it's hypnotic pattern for bleary eyed musicians.

Expensive, but worthy. Coded by Ralph Kessler.

Pinguin
Craneslut

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Why not just get a pair of real analog VU meters and be done with it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin-leary ➡️
As of software frequency analyzers, they are useless for stuff below 50 Hz. And this is exactly where you need most precision to set the high pass during mastering session. I still use my ear.
It's the norm, but not the rule. The problem with freq analyzers like "True"RTA is they aren't [proprietary technology description removed] for the bass. "True"RTA is anything but true when it gets down to the bass, yet as far as 99.999% of people know it's the best out there. So I don't blame you for having this opinion, but please don't say it's a fact. Also "useless" is pretty subjective, and also deserves some qualification such as "useless for me".

One should note that a basic spectrum analyzer and an RTA aren't the same thing. For instance, white noise on a spectrum analyzer:

And white noise on an accurate RTA:

(don't mind the top band, the recording was 44.1 and the RTA was running at 48.0)

It's not quite getting down to every bass note. It's 1/6th octave, but 1/12th octave would easily be possible. All the way to 1Hz (or lower, CPU & insanity willing) if you really wanted that much overkill.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaudio ➡️
Pinguin Pro and a pair of analog VUs for me. Pinguin does VU and PPM on one scale. The spectrum analyzer is VERY good. The way I've got it showing the logarithmic scale, I know just how much the low end is pushing in a track.

I can clearly see the harmonic structure of instruments with it. Want to show someone the overtone structure of a violin? A trumpet? Very interesting and enlightening.

Using it to set up an analog tape machine is a breeze. Running tone, it's obvious how much third harmonic is present with various bias settings and levels, etc.

It's also very easy to spot clipping on a track using the stereo pattern. You see the Lissajous pattern start to square-off under clipping. It's very responsive with no latency.

The big selling point is it's hypnotic pattern for bleary eyed musicians.

Expensive, but worthy. Coded by Ralph Kessler.

Pinguin

I wish they made it for Mac.
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that's linear vs logarithmic scale. both are perfectly fine analyzers.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
+1 for Spectre
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbeats ➡️
+1 for Spectre
yes, Spectre is nice.

any news on version 2? I remember it was close to beta about a year ago, but haven't heard anything since.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg ➡️
yes, Spectre is nice.

any news on version 2? I remember it was close to beta about a year ago, but haven't heard anything since.
Im running a beta 1.5 version - not sure if that will be the v2....?

I never picked up v1 as there was a bug that was fixed in one of these betas so went straight there.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 ➡️
good news! ;-)

from the pinguin website:

"Pinguin premiers at 127th AES Convention its brand new PGAMM audio multi metering software on a MAC OSX. Find us at booth 751 (WEISS ENGINEERING)."

cheers
Old 3rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here are some other FREE options from good companies.

SSL X-ISM

RNDigital | INSPECTOR FREE

Sonalksis - Free-G
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➡️

Thanks for that..Let's see how this one cuts it..
Should be interesting. ta mate

KAyo
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
VU-meters.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use Sonalksis Free-G
Oh, and also the metering plug from DYNAMIC RANGE | pleasurize music!

I think that one's pretty nice, even though it's not really a VU meter...
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan ➡️
I use Sonalksis Free-G
Oh, and also the metering plug from DYNAMIC RANGE | pleasurize music!

I think that one's pretty nice, even though it's not really a VU meter...
I probably just need a coffee, but where did the download link go?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood ➡️
Why not just get a pair of real analog VU meters and be done with it?
+1

Is there some workflow reason why this wouldn't be the easiest/best solution?

-dave
Company Rep

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assistant ➡️
good news! ;-)

from the pinguin website:

"Pinguin premiers at 127th AES Convention its brand new PGAMM audio multi metering software on a MAC OSX. Find us at booth 751 (WEISS ENGINEERING)."

cheers
Indeed, I'm running it on Mac as we speak
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdisc ➡️
It's there worst - sorry

Bob
Care to elaborate?
Mastering

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 ➡️
Pinguin just converted their whole analysis suite to Mac. Take a look.

I'm looking at some new PSP meters today. Getting a software VU meter to have the same overshoot, feel and look of a real 3" Weston is not trivial.

BK
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz ➡️

I'm looking at some new PSP meters today. Getting a software VU meter to have the same overshoot, feel and look of a real 3" Weston is not trivial.

BK
Is that PSP audioware?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncajesse ➡️
{snip} "useless" is pretty subjective, and also deserves some qualification such as "useless for me".

Or, you can also state: I am incapable to really do spectral research with them. Or, I just can't find use with one in my work flow. Or, I simply don't understand those flashing lights. Seriously Superdisc, VU meters and RTAs are 2 different beasts. RTA's display the full frequency spectrum of the signal and can't be compared to a meager measurement instrument that takes 300ms to reach 0VU, has a poor peak level accuracy and is used 'mainly' to average both channels.

Let's stop the use of inappropriate examples to diminish the value that RTA's have to some engineers. By the way, your "partner", the guy who is using Waves { I assume the PAZ} must have found an important feature to make his work a bit easier. It would be a good idea to ask him as to how exactly he uses it.

Regards,
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G ➡️
+1
Is there some workflow reason why this wouldn't be the easiest/best solution?
They could easily distract you from peering into the monitor, exhibit correct VU time constants, while using exactly zero CPU load.

Sounds dangerous.

DC
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➡️
They could easily distract you from peering into the monitor, exhibit correct VU time constants, while using exactly zero CPU load.

Sounds dangerous.

DC
well yeah, they're analog, they'll add wow and flutter, distortion, can't make perfect copies forever and you can't download them for free.

it'll never work...
D.W
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➡️
Let us know how they compare to RME digicheck

I know it's not really the same... but I am really getting a lot of info from the 4 bar meter in digicheck
+1 For RME digicheck, I almost do not need any other thing.

I also find very useful SSL X-ISM in order to check these inter-sample peaks which can become in subtle distortion, sometimes does not noticed without good converters, reliable monitoring and good acoustic treatment in your room.

Solid State Logic | Music
Old 4th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

BK
A shot in the dark here but perhaps Mr. Katz was referring to some new meters PSP are getting ready to introduce. I know he does a lot of beta testing for PSP.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W ➡️
+1 For RME digicheck, I almost do not need any other thing.

I also find very useful SSL X-ISM in order to check these inter-sample peaks which can become in subtle distortion, sometimes does not noticed without good converters, reliable monitoring and good acoustic treatment in your room.

Solid State Logic | Music
You do not need any other thing. Enable the "oversample" button in the the RME four bar meter settings dialog! It'll display accurately to +3dBFS on the scale while the digit readout shows any level above zero. Much better than the free plugs than only shows if there have been any overs, not the extent of the overshot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

BK
Wow Bob, Im Looking forward to checking them out.
D.W
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo ➡️
You do not need any other thing. Enable the "oversample" button in the the RME four bar meter settings dialog! It'll display accurately to +3dBFS on the scale while the digit readout shows any level above zero. Much better than the free plugs than only shows if there have been any overs, not the extent of the overshot.
Oh, well...I have to try this feature tomorrow, thank you Lupo
📝 Reply