Quantcast
how would you like to receive a good mix? (RMS, peaks...) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how would you like to receive a good mix? (RMS, peaks...)
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how would you like to receive a good mix? (RMS, peaks...)

As there are many posts about what a mastering engineer doesn't hope to be sent (overly compressed loud mixes that leave no room etc.) in order to master what would you like and what is best to master speaking in terms of RMS and peaks etc. (and not about the music, arrangement itself)?

how should it be prepared volumewise?
Old 29th January 2009
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
When I mix, I aim at peak levels around -6.

My reason for not heavily limiting a mix is because the best sounding limiter and limiter settings can't really be determined until the mix is in its final position within the album with the appropriate eq. settings. This is what I mean by "leaving room."

Another reason for conservative mix levels is that the analog stages of many common D to A converters sound pretty bad when the levels are cranked and that can have an adverse effect on mixing decisions.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I usually ask the mixing engineers to not apply any limiting/clipping on the master bus. There’s no problem if they use some compressor because of an artistic choice, as long as it’s not crushing the mix.
That being said, most mixes I receive (keep in mind I mostly work with rock/metal bands) are around -16/-12 dB rms. Of course, peaks should NEVER go over 0 dB.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…