Quantcast
Mastering Compressors 2009 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Compressors 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mastering Compressors 2009

OK it's 2009 slutz. This is the last year of the decade. The last year that we can say we were making amazing music in the 00's.

That said, what is the sexiest (best) plugin for compression/mulitband compression mastering out there to date. Is it still PSP MasterComp or can we embrace a new champion?

There is another thread here but some of those suggestions are 4 years old. I want cutting edge answers.

(please no hardware talk, plugins only. and leave UAD2 out of it, that's hardware too and you know it)
Old 27th January 2009
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Flux Solera and Alchemist are pretty much undisputed as ultra flexible, super transparent mastering compressor plugins.

If I could choose only one plugin for mastering compression, Solera would be it.

regards,
kjg
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
MD3 for Poco.... does that counts?!?!

..... If not, Waves api 2500 is pretty amazing

Cheers

Max
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Imho the Flux Solera is way ahead compared to the competition. I'm not a big fan of how the psp mastercomp sounds at all, it has a plastic plugin like sound.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
AM-MUNITION. The rest have been obliterated.

Not for MBC though - Barely ever use it, UAD's MBC is great for what it is, as is the native MBC in Samp 10.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've just got my hands on the new Maselec multiband compressor.
It gets my vote for the best all round compressor on the market.

You can use it as a normal stereo mastering compressor, but also add some eq across the different frequencies. Or just as a broadband eq, or a straight forward multiband.

I've found it really helpful if you have a mix that is already crushed to death you can pull out the mids and make it sound open. It also keeps your bass in line it it a touch muddy.
You can basically twist the sound all over the place, you can attack sound in alot more ways than a normal compressor, It's also about the same price as a good stereo mastering compressor...put it on you to buy list...

MASELEC
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaky ➑️
I've just got my hands on the new Maselec multiband compressor.
It gets my vote for the best all round compressor on the market.

You can use it as a normal stereo mastering compressor, but also add some eq across the different frequencies. Or just as a broadband eq, or a straight forward multiband.

I've found it really helpful if you have a mix that is already crushed to death you can pull out the mids and make it sound open. It also keeps your bass in line it it a touch muddy.
You can basically twist the sound all over the place, you can attack sound in alot more ways than a normal compressor, It's also about the same price as a good stereo mastering compressor...put it on you to buy list...

MASELEC
I am sure the new Maselec is a very good compressor but the OP was specifically asking for a "Plug In" compressor.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
there is no one single winner. they all have different tones and colours and feel and they all do different things. If you want a definitive answer than the best plugin is a chain of every compressor out there with a bypass button...every song is different.

every plugin is different.

just use your ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone into any the Uad stuff?

The precision buss or multiband or even the 33609.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hmm...I am starting to think that Flux Alchemist is the one to beat...Have had the demo for quite a while now, and even though the manual gives me headaches...its starting to make sense

and its starting to sound good...really good. ( my previous digital compressor was a Weiss DS-1 mk 3 )
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappygarry ➑️
Anyone into any the Uad stuff?

The precision buss or multiband or even the 33609.
The UAD Maul-the-Band compressor mauls the band less than most, no doubt. Where it really shines is as a frequency-conscious expander... I don't think I've used better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Best" is highly subjective. For instance, I haven't like ANY of the multiband compressors I've tried, software based or otherwise so I wound up making my own. Now I'm sure somebody out there would hate the sound of my DIY system but it works the way I want so I have no desire to change it just because it's a new year.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the waves API 2500 is very impressive.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwalsh ➑️
As a mastering compressor? tutt I wouldnt even use it on the drum bus.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_m ➑️
As a mastering compressor? tutt I wouldnt even use it on the drum bus.
really? do you you feel that way about the hardware api 2500?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepforwheat ➑️
what is the sexiest (best) plugin for compression/mulitband compression mastering out there to date.
I haven't tried many others, but the waves linear phase multiband works for me.

TW
Old 28th January 2009
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That said, what is the sexiest (best) plugin for compression/mulitband compression mastering out there to date. [/I]
Flux Alchemist.

Way ahead of the competition and truly usable for mastering. Not for the beginner though, it not something you just slap on.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Dynamic Spectrum Mapper ... Really a big surprise.
kjg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny ➑️
Dynamic Spectrum Mapper ... Really a big surprise.
anxiously waiting for the pc version here..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(please no hardware talk, plugins only. and leave UAD2 out of it, that's hardware too and you know it)
Saying UAD is hardware is just silly. Waves & sonnox use ilok...are they hardware? All that card is is a foolproof ilok for them but you can't sell something that's going to take up a space without doing some processing.

UAD has the best multiband compressor I've ever tried, I don't use a MB comp often but it seems to put everything back together the best. I also use UAD's Buss Comp which is excellent also. I think the 33609 has it's place, but I think it smashes too much for mastering. It has some nice options that come in handy. I like Ozone's Limiter/Loudness Maximizer the best, it seems to do the job with the best transparency to me. Not a dither thread, but Ozone also has an excellent dither that seems to get out of the way the best.
cam
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
what is the sexiest (best) plugin for compression/mulitband compression mastering out there to date. Is it still PSP MasterComp or can we embrace a new champion?
I spent some time with Flux Alchemist this week.

Blew my mind... renewed my appreciation for plug-ins.

Great sounding, with a zillion parameters.

Makes the Waves LMB seem archaic.

A tad expensive though..

Cheerio - JT
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
really? do you you feel that way about the hardware api 2500?
In my personal opinion yes, there's very few times where the hardware API 2500 is the best choice of coloration for mastering, even though it's very flexible per se. I'd end up using it on 3-4 tracks per month maximum, that's not much at all.

Basically the same goes for mixing but there, that's more a taste thing. It didnt work for me but it may work very well for others.

One point, if you have a monitoring setup thats not very resolving, let's say active monitors till 2000$ pair, the api 2500 can sound impressive. If you a/b it on a higher end system with very fast transient response and good clarity, it starts to get unfavourable in comparison to others. For analog coloration in mastering there's better options imho.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In my personal opinion yes, there's very few times where the hardware API 2500 is the best choice of coloration for mastering, even though it's very flexible per se. I'd end up using it on 3-4 tracks per month maximum, that's not much at all.

Basically the same goes for mixing but there, that's more a taste thing. It didnt work for me but it may work very well for others.

One point, if you have a monitoring setup thats not very resolving, let's say active monitors till 2000$ pair, the api 2500 can sound impressive. If you a/b it on a higher end system with very fast transient response and good clarity, it starts to get unfavourable in comparison to others. For analog coloration in mastering there's better options imho.
he asked about plugins. i think that thing is good for a plugin.

and i have nice monitors.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Flux Alchemist user interface looks pretty slick. I'll be checking that out soon.

TW
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In my personal opinion yes, there's very few times where the hardware API 2500 is the best choice of coloration for mastering... For analog coloration in mastering there's better options imho.
Well, out of curiosity's sake, now I have to ask which options are you referring too?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
he asked about plugins. i think that thing is good for a plugin.

and i have nice monitors.
He asked for the (best) mastering plugin, and i don't see the waves api 2500 fitting this place at all. A lot of better suggestions were already given.

Elvis: Use the search function, every compressor known to mankind has one or more threads around here. Vertigo, Thermionic Culture, Tube-Tech, etc. There's alot of options and it depends on what you're going for. Some don't like transformers in the signal path, some don't like tubes. The api 2500 was also discussed in the mastering forum before. thumbsup
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the advice but I've done countless searches and spent untold hours scouring the archives of this forum on all manner of subjects and gear.

I know this thread is about plug-ins and I wasn't looking to veer off into a discussion about the hardware 2500 but you brought it up and dogged it a little so I became curious only because I've noticed everyone and their brother rave on about it for both mixing and mastering.

Just wanted to know what your preference was; no need to point me to the search button (and patronize me in the process). I'm all too familiar with its function. thumbsup
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun ➑️
Thanks for the advice but I've done countless searches and spent untold hours scouring the archives of this forum on all manner of subjects and gear.

I know this thread is about plug-ins and I wasn't looking to veer off into a discussion about the hardware 2500 but you brought it up and dogged it a little so I became curious only because I've noticed everyone and their brother rave on about it for both mixing and mastering.

Just wanted to know what your preference was; no need to point me to the search button (and patronize me in the process). I'm all too familiar with its function. thumbsup
Sorry if i came over this way, that wasn't my intention. One more word about the hardware api 2500, it's just more a mix bus compressor like the SSL. It's not universal enough for mastering, all imho. Some people use the SSL as well as the api 2500 for mastering, but you probably won't see either of them at let's say sterling sound.
Actually with that comparison, i find an SSL type bus comp to be far more usable on a variety of material as the api
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry if i came over this way, that wasn't my intention. One more word about the hardware api 2500, it's just more a mix bus compressor like the SSL. It's not universal enough for mastering, all imho. Some people use the SSL as well as the api 2500 for mastering, but you probably won't see either of them at let's say sterling sound.
Actually with that comparison, i find an SSL type bus comp to be far more usable on a variety of material as the api
Thanks. I apologize also for being overly defensive that day.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im on your side dude! In my ears the waves API 2500 does a great job.
πŸ“ Reply