Any Grand Utopia EM owners here? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Grand Utopia EM owners here?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Any Grand Utopia EM owners here?

I've had the pleasure of listening to the BEs, I'm wondering if anyone here owns the newer EMs?

I don't think I've ever heard of a Mastering place have these (or the BEs) and am wondering if I just don't know of a few who do use them or is it because they're not something that interests the high end Mastering Engineer?
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I don't know if any set of monitors would be worth the price of a small house.

TW
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Those were my comments, almost, right before I listened to the BEs. How can a pair of speakers be worth that much? I have some B&Ws, I asked my dealer "does it get much better than this, seriously?" and he said "Oh, you need to come upstairs and have a listen to the Grand Utopias" after talking about a few models I know other mastering guys use. The guy knew I was not going to be even close to buying them, he said he just likes the reaction people have when they listen to them (each had a McIntosh mono block powering them).

I heard quite a few sets of speakers that day, the place I buy from here in L.A., they've got pretty much all the usual suspects you'll hear mastering guys have, but I honestly have to say, I have never heard anything that sounds as good as those things. I heard the BEs, I think he said they were 80 grand, but the EMs are 180 grand!

So is it because you don't think their quality justifies their price tag? I'm really curious, what speakers compare? I heard things on those speakers that I had not heard before (breaths, fingers coming off strings, realism, etc.) I wouldn't say they were hyped in any sense, but rather the most "revealing" listening experience I've ever heard.

The reason I brought this up here is because a lot of high-end audiophiles consider them to be the best speakers ever; I did a search for them here (thinking some MEs would share the same opinion) but found nothing. To be honest, if I had never heard them, my initial thoughts would be that these things are just hype for the Bruce Waynes of the world, but after listening to them, and others as well (and this being Gearslutz and all), I was wondering what the general consensus was about them.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…