The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baking tape in New York
Old 5th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bango9000 ➡️
Like I say, I've never done it myself, so you should probably call one of the places that specializes and ask them.

But I guess you could start with distilled water and see if that works. Beyond that, I think I've heard the term "very mild detergent solution".

For drying it, I guess you could just run it back through the machine with dry pads, or maybe do it by hand. ?

Maybe someone who knows more will chime in here. Or just call a commercial place and get them to tell you.

Hope it works out.
There was a paper about a system that used an IV bag containing isopropyl alcohol that dripped on the tape as it played as an alternative to baking. Since the OP has acetate, and baking is out, I'm not sure if alcohol is safe either. There is a lot of information online from the library of congress and Richard Hess that may have more on this.

DC
Old 6th September 2010 | Show parent
bango9000
The library of congress has some recommendations for acetate tape. They talk about using Pellon [instead of gauze] and distilled water. They also talk about using something called Tergitol in a solution for acetate disks.

Here are a couple links [but I think you should still probably call and ask someone who's done it themselves].

http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/pub137.pdf

Cylinder, Disc and Tape Care in a Nutshell (Preservation, Library of Congress)

Easy does it!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➡️
There was a paper about a system that used an IV bag containing isopropyl alcohol that dripped on the tape as it played as an alternative to baking. Since the OP has acetate, and baking is out, I'm not sure if alcohol is safe either. There is a lot of information online from the library of congress and Richard Hess that may have more on this.

DC
Some info relevant to this at:

Restoration Tips & Notes » Wet playing of reel tapes with Loss of Lubricant—A guest article by Marie O’Connell

Best regards,
Steve Berson
bango9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron ➡️

I finally learn what LOL means. Loss Of Lubricant.

Another mystery solved [OMG]!
Old 7th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins ➡️
There was a paper about a system that used an IV bag containing isopropyl alcohol that dripped on the tape as it played as an alternative to baking.
I had an email conversation with Richard and Marie last year about this process. It took quite a bit of trial and error to get it to work, but it did work well for her.

I see analog tape almost every week and 95% of them play just fine on a deck with a low friction tape path. When you eliminate all of the fixed guides and erase/record heads from the path, most sticky tapes will play easily (and the deck will sound a lot better in the process). Sticky shed is another matter which often does require a heat cycle.

Don't bake out of habit or just because you've heard it's a good idea.

GR
📝 Reply