calling Flux Alchemist users - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
calling Flux Alchemist users
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
calling Flux Alchemist users

Hi,

I am currently checking out the Flux Alchemist demo. As far as I can tell the only limitations of the demo is that its 30 min use before the controls are blacked out, and there are no saving of settings.

I don't quite get the manual. So, I figured I could ask a specific question, so that I may be enlightened.

I have a song were the vocals sit nice in the verse, but gets a little buried during the louder parts\ chorus. I want to use Alchemist to compress the S signal during the chorus in the two upper bands. At the same time, I want to add a little expansion to the M signal in the upper band, while leaving the M signal of the mid band alone.

At the same time I want to add some parallel compression to the low band.

Is this doable within Alchemist at all ? the controls does not seem to switch when shifting "M C S" slider at all...is it just either or ?? or is that controller just applied to the Bittersweet ?

I guess the way to do parallel compression with the Alchemist is by using the "dry mix" gain ? Is that only a global value ? its not possible to set the dry mix value in relation to the bands ?? i.e. dry mix on band 1 : - 10 , dry mix on band 2 : - 20 etc ??

I may have misunderstood this whole plug in, but if you have some know how on it, please set me straight

tia
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have been using the Alchemist for a while now, but I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means. The thing fantastic but very complex.
I don't think you are able to apply the bands on an M/S basis. Only Bittersweet (on any particular band) can be applied on an M/S basis. You can alter the ratio of mid to side LEVEL of a specific band.
For example, you could tell Bittersweet on the page that corresponds to the controls for lets say a 2-4K range to act only on the M signal and then you could use the M/S knob on the main part of the page (not related to Bittersweet) to make 2-4K wider by turning up the sides. But as far as I can tell, you can't put the main dynamics of that band to act only on let's say M signals.
As far as parallel, that it only available globally and not on a per band basis. Does that answer your question?

Dave
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanx.

Yes that answers my questions. I guess I was expecting too much.

Any recommendation for a plug that does MS compression ? I checked out Fabfilters Pro-C but the gui makes my head spin. I had a Weiss DS-1 MK 3, but I am starting to regret that I sold it...

cheers
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
๐ŸŽง 15 years
There are quite a few companies that sell M/S encode/decode matrix plugins. Simply insert any dual mono compressor in between these and voila.
I think the TC System 6000 also does M/S compression, regular and multiband. Not totally sure if it does multiband in M/S mode.

Dave
๐Ÿ“ Reply