Quantcast
Output transformer preference - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Output transformer preference
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Output transformer preference

I know we all have our preferred output transformers / gear because of the particular coloration that adds that certain magic (when dealing with a suitable source, of course). I would like to compile here a list of transformers that you prefer, the gear they're in, the source genre you prefer them with, and why.

Also, do any of you have a coloration box in your chain that simply allows you to choose different trafo's (no other processing)?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanstoner ➡️
I know we all have our preferred output transformers / gear because of the particular coloration that adds that certain magic (when dealing with a suitable source, of course).
Or the opposite. There are two types of OV46 line amp cards in my Neumann SP75 console. They are the same except one has an output transformer and one doesn't. The ones with the output transformers sound more transparent than the ones without. I have no idea why but I trust my ears. I haven't run tests either.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
13 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➡️
The ones with the output transformers sound more transparent than the ones without. I have no idea why but I trust my ears. I haven't run tests either.
Obviously the transformer is of good quality.. And I've not seen a schematic, but maybe there's feedback applied through the transformer for distortion reduction?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde ➡️
but maybe there's feedback applied through the transformer for distortion reduction?
Nope. It's one of those toroidal Haufe transformers. Very high quality transformer like all the transformers Neumann used. If I had to guess I would say the OA10 opamp likes to drive an inductive load but that's a pure guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Paul, is the transformerless path single ended?
Just a guess but it could be because the transformer has very good noise imunity,very good CMRR, therefore it is cleaner from that standpoint.
If that makes sense...
Old 23rd January 2009
Mastering

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanstoner ➡️
I know we all have our preferred output transformers / gear because of the particular coloration that adds that certain magic (when dealing with a suitable source, of course). I would like to compile here a list of transformers that you prefer, the gear they're in, the source genre you prefer them with, and why.

Also, do any of you have a coloration box in your chain that simply allows you to choose different trafo's (no other processing)?
There's also a matter of proper termination for the transformer, which can change its character as well. Older Neve consoles used an RC network on each output transformer. And the interaction of the character of the transformer with the driving circuit's character.

The most neutral transformers I've encountered over time are the Lundahls, followed closely by the Jensens. The ones with the most character are some old Western Electrics I have lying around, not much bass response, but a nice grit and edge when you want it. After that the magic in an API output with its 2520 driver amp is unbeatable---robust, a little bit fuzzy but seems to "beef" up the bass in an entertaining way suitable for a lot of rock and roll as well as enhance the depth and space a bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would put Jensens at the top, their top level output has the lowest distortion of any transformer.
.002% @ 20Hz bandwidth over 15MHz, have not anything close to that...
Audio Alchemist

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz ➡️
The most neutral transformers I've encountered over time are the Lundahls, followed closely by the Jensens.
I really like Lundahls and that's what I have in my DIY stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with Paul Gold, the Haufe transformers are exceptional, I love the sound of the old Neumann eq's, they are very hard to beat quality wise.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➡️
If that makes sense...
It makes a lot of sense. The monitor section of the console is a weak point. It's entirely possible that what I was hearing had to do with the monitoring and not the actual card.

I'm almost ready to install a new monitor controller. I made my Dremel smoke while cutting out the meter panel and haven't had time to finish it. Unfortunately it's balanced and passive so it wouldn't provide a fair comparison either.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…