Quantcast
Wow...my head's spinning! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wow...my head's spinning!
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Wow...my head's spinning!

The advice and knowledge base here is staggering! So many things to consider when mixing and mastering.

A bit of an introduction (sorry for the long post):

I'm working on my band's 3rd CD release. Both previous CD's were recorded and mixed by myself at home for a couple reasons. I tend to take a long time recording and frankly, we've never had the money to record and mix in a studio. Basically, if we didn't work at home we wouldn't have recorded or released anything. So, the basic tracks for our first CD were recorded in our rehearsal space. It sounds pretty bad 6 years later. The second CD sounds a bit better, but is still iffy. The main problem is that I never knew about website's such as this one. I knew enough that the final mix had to be solid and mastered by a mastering house before replication, but that's about it. It's a miracle that the 2 CD's are listenable at all considering all the things that I read here that I was oblivious to.

So that brings me to CD #3. We tracked the drums in a studio this time and the difference is remarkable. The engineer did a decent job and I have solid drum tracks to work with that sound pretty good to me. The backing tracks were recorded at home and we're about to record vocals and get down to mixing. Obviously, I want the final mixes to be as polished as they can be before sending them off to the mastering engineer. I wish we could afford a professional mix but the between our mastering budget ($500) and the cost of the replication there's no money left.

I really would like a place to have my mixes critiqued to avoid problems later. I'm not looking for someone to mix for free, just some seasoned ears to point things out. Is this the place to do that?

jp
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
People here are always willing to help / critique. Sounds like you're not at the mix stage yet, though. Once your mixes are to your liking and you consider them complete, post snippits here (in full-rez .wav format - NOT MP3). Then you'll get better info (perhaps more than you bargained for ).

What DAW are you using?
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Welcome to Gearslutz!

A lot a great people on this forum.

Check your PMs.

Have a great day!

ez135
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanstoner โžก๏ธ
What DAW are you using?
Sony Vegas
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Nice!

What is the name of your band?

brendan b brown
wheatus.com
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…