Quantcast
Mastering EQ software plug-in conclusions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering EQ software plug-in conclusions
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mastering EQ software plug-in conclusions

Over the past month, I have very meticulously auditioned the best EQ plug-ins from the following manufacturers:

Waves (including all SSL and API simulations)
Sonnox
OZONE (built in eq)
Stillwel
Sonoris
Samplitude (built-in)
Reaper ReaEQ (built in)
McDSP
PSP (NEON)
DDMF
Voxengo
Sonalksis
Tritone Digital (Angel Tone Mastering EQ)

I am monitoring my audio on Westlake studio monitors out of a Lynx Aurora 16 convertor into an AMS/Neve Media 5.1 console with all Mogami cabling between my gear.

After several days of methodical listening, I found that my ears liked the sound of the DDMF LP10 the most. Especially in the way it did not start to sound grainy and ear shredding in the top end. Some of the ones that people really highly recommend like the PSP NEON sound questionable in the top when you start to boost. Also, the UI was an important factor. I found many of them trying and tiring on my eyes and on my mind while operating them. I love the simplicity and the smooth clear layout and graphics of the DDMF LP10. The LP10 had something magical in the top end when setting the phase to minimum rather than linear. The LP10 sounded nicer in the top end than the EQIIPro by DDMF. I also liked the DDMF ColorEQ but not so much for mastering. It has a very analog EQ sound down in the bottom end for your bass and kick drum though. The LP10 works better for mastering and overall did the least amount of degradation to my audio when processing with it.

A big part of my testing was just to compare each EQ by simply inserting each one on the same track but set flat without doing any frequency adjustment. I wanted to hear what just inserting the plug-in did to the audio. It was surprising how many of them made the audio sound grainy and duller with less depth and punch. They all did something to the audio just by inserting them flat.

I am in no way affiliated with DDMF. I paid a VERY minimal amount for the LP10 and I find it useful right now. I'm not sure who the developer is but they must know what they are doing because the LP10 liked my ears the best out of all the top plug-in eq's I put it up against and as you can see, my list includes most of the top contenders.

I hope to hear what other people's findings are as well.

Here is a link in case you are interested in listening/testing yourself
**** DDMF-The home of Equalizers-DDMF ****
Old 11th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No IK Multimedia T-Racks s3?
Old 11th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
T-Racks...are you joking?

I didn't even include the T-Racks in my test because when I originally auditioned them, I immediately dragged the files to my computer's Recycle bin. They sounded so harsh and ear shredding in the top end that it wasn't even worth the effort to try to master anything with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i find angeltone to be the best at least for me.
Old 11th January 2009
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland ➑️
I wanted to hear what just inserting the plug-in did to the audio. It was surprising how many of them made the audio sound grainy and duller with less depth and punch. They all did something to the audio just by inserting them flat.
Huh. I'm sorry I didn't have plugin demos you could use (of course you'd have to be able to use AU). My stuff comes out of mastering and is designed to be completely not there when flat- bit-identical.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
flux epure
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Uh Oh!

Quote:
I didn't even include the T-Racks in my test because when I originally auditioned them, I immediately dragged the files to my computer's Recycle bin. They sounded so harsh and ear shredding in the top end that it wasn't even worth the effort to try to master anything with them.
Uh oh!

I'm certainly no fanboy but if you think T-Racks 3 Pultec EQP-1A is harsh then it never surprises me anymore how people perceive sounds...

I have Waves, Neve and SSL, Sonalksis, Tritone Digital and Sonnox - The T-Racks 3 Pultec is easily on a par to my ears.

IK Multimedia have really delivered on that plugin.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️
Uh oh!

I'm certainly no fanboy but if you think T-Racks 3 Pultec EQP-1A is harsh then it never surprises me anymore how people perceive sounds...

I have Waves, Neve and SSL, Sonalksis, Tritone Digital and Sonnox - The T-Racks 3 Pultec is easily on a par to my ears.

IK Multimedia have really delivered on that plugin.
Did I write anything saying that I felt the Waves, Neve and SSL, Sonalksis, Tritone Digital and Sonnox were not on par with the T-Racks 3 Pultec?

Argue amongst yourself if you want.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nebula hands down. definitely.

really.

no arguing about it.

period.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for this comparison! I normally use AngelTone, but I will try this DDMF! I really like the Massy in AngelTone though, especially for a high shelf.

I do really use Sonalksis as well, for low-cut, high-shelf and some boosting in the mids/high mids. Sounds really good as well I think.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What about DUY Magic Spectrum LE? Sounds good to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UAD Precision EQ ?????
UAD Pultec Pro ?????
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you tried T-Racks 3 ? Not the first version version but the latest version ? It is out of the world ! The new plugs in the series are on par or better than anything out there ......YMMV after you have tried them .

Harsh is definately not a word i would use to describe the latest incarnation , they've even re-vamped the earlier plugs to sound better than before ...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey why not include the Epure or MDW? to my ears these two are almost the best old world digital eq i know.
But the holy grail of digital eq is the Nebula - since it is a FX sampler it's not the Nebula itself who is so important - but the samples you put in it.
it has a fabulous passive eq great for tranperant mastering but the best is the Doc Fear Passive tube eq sample - try boosting 10db at 4K with any other eq that will not shred the skin from your ear. (and the 10 and 12k is to kill for.) try that with the Doc fear and be amazed. this is so outstanding that you will have hard times using other digtal eq (or some analog one's yeah it's really that good) after working with the Doc Fear.
Try it - amazingly it's for free at nebula-programs website (but can only run on a nebula so you need that plugin before)

Have fun
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
nebula

Nebula is really good and not just for the eq's available
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a software liquidmix, based on a different technology. We are trying to push actual computers to their limits, basing our emulations on a brute-force method.
Old 11th January 2009
Mastering

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Over the past month, I have very meticulously auditioned the best EQ plug-ins from the following manufacturers:
You forgot to audition the Algorithmix Red and Blue!

BK
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sorry Bob Katz and others.

The Epure and Algorithmix stuff is really overpriced and I can't afford to buy it.

On the other hand, the DDMF is excellent and cost me next to nothing.

There are some things to consider when it comes to software that companies like Algorithmix and Flux do not seem to understand.

1. User interface

2. Value

The DDMF sounds great, is easy to operate and is very easy to justify purchasing.

It seems that many people suffer from the idea that price determines the strength of a product. Why people are still using Apple computers with ProTools is not logical but is the reslut of this belief. Reaper on a PC is more solid, sounds better and is easier on the workflow.

When it comes to digital plug-in EQ, the DDMF LP10 holds it's own among the best and operates better and is also easier for everyone to obtain. I will say that the Angel Tone by Tritone had a very nice top end on the massy setting but it lacked a HPF and LPF which are essential. The DDMF LP10 overall has too many things going for it that the others including T-racks and Epure and Algorithmix do not. The positives outweigh the negatives.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hello bob

good that your back hope your do next time some mastering lessons in germany !?.

back too the topic :

yes algorithmix plugs are fine but pricewise and compatibily ! wise

which is the most important part

dinosaurier .

if you place mac au version of your k stereo processor,

me and my 5 friends ! will buy it immediately for 800 dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz ➑️
You forgot to audition the Algorithmix Red and Blue!

BK
Old 12th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've just auditioned the Flux and I'm speechless...I'll purchase that next and use the Sonnox for mixing only as the CPU hit is amongst the lowest.

You're correct about the highs on the T-Racks. I got shafted on another thread because I thought, in my opinion, that the highs broke up and sounded shrill - even at minimal settings.
Old 12th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugin ➑️
I've just auditioned the Flux and I'm speechless...I'll purchase that next and use the Sonnox for mixing only as the CPU hit is amongst the lowest.

You're correct about the highs on the T-Racks. I got shafted on another thread because I thought, in my opinion, that the highs broke up and sounded shrill - even at minimal settings.
Before you spend all that money, download the demo of the DDMF LP10 and take a listen. You may reconsider spending all that money on the Flux.

🎧 10 years
Flux Epure II is amazing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Before you spend all that money, download the demo of the DDMF LP10 and take a listen. You may reconsider spending all that money on the Flux.
The link to DDMF shows up as a black page
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks!

I'm a member for five minuites and yes I've already saved five hours!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
what about the Massey limiter???
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Waves-API bundle

URS-Pultec
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcubo ➑️
what about the Massey limiter???
Mastering EQ?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
Mastering EQ?

sorry, my mistake...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you haven't tried the UA collection of EQs then your test is incomplete.
Old 13th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you're on a PC, try this:

Refined Audiometrics Laboratory

It's one of the purest sounding native EQs I"ve ever heard. Some people think it's getting into the Algorithmix territory, but for a lot less money. It beats everything I've heard on your initial list.
πŸ“ Reply