This is the type of misinformation that is upsetting
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This is the type of misinformation that is upsetting

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNFaIO5fr8

This type of misinformation is what convinces people to not go to mastering engineers and attempt to do it themselves or for go mastering all together. Not cool!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
May I politely suggest that by posting things you don't agree with, especially on here, you are probably about to push loads of clicks and views to their video and exponentially increase their algorithmic plays.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➡️
May I politely suggest that by posting things you don't agree with, especially on here, you are probably about to push loads of clicks and views to their video and exponentially increase their algorithmic plays.
I agree but it is this type of really bad misinformation that is upsetting when I make my living from doing mastering.

Is there a better way to show potential clients the misinformation WITHOUT sending people to these type of postings???

Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
It's a two year old channel with 1.5k subscribers, and as far as I can tell an average view count on his videos of a couple hundred within the first year. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

May I ask what you searched for to even come across such a video?
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
It's a two year old channel with 1.5k subscribers, and as far as I can tell an average view count on his videos of a couple hundred within the first year. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

May I ask what you searched for to even come across such a video?
Sure, Audio Mastering.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Why would we want to show potential clients misinformation?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All I want to know is how many pro mastering/mix engineers are on YT but not misleading anyone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 1a5f226
I'm not really sure why you think it worth mentioning, unless you are competing at that level.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Potential clients sometimes turn to YouTube and or other search engine provided sites for information. When they see someone saying misleading information and have no way of discerning what is true and what is made up then they may decide to forgo mastering altogether or DIY it themselves.

I get a lot of clients who are new to the whole concept of mastering and need some gentle reassurance that they are spending their hard earned money in a good way. If they were to watch that particular video on YouTube they would get the completely wrong idea about mastering. Why the person is putting up that misinformation remains a mystery. FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Rotfl…misinformation on YouTube ? OMG! Seriously ? Did you check the rest of the internet to make sure that’s ok ? I’m scared, hold me…lolz
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
find out where he lives ... we can go egg his house and scurry off and hide behind a bush ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Mastering is simple, quick, easy with bx_masterdesk…
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatrixpothead ➡️
Rotfl…misinformation on YouTube ? OMG! Seriously ? Did you check the rest of the internet to make sure that’s ok ? I’m scared, hold me…lolz
I agree the internet is rife with misinformation. And your point is?

I try and make my livelihood from audio mastering and restoration of audio materials. It is getting harder everyday to find clients. Some musicians don't see the need for mastering, some attempt to DIY it, some go to Fivver or similar, some use an online AI to do their mastering. So when I see someone spouting gross misinformation about mastering I get upset. I posted it here I guess to get it off my chest. If you do anything to make money, audio related or not, and someone posted misinformation that lost you potential clients or caused you to not have an income what would YOU do?
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXX VADA ➡️
find out where he lives ... we can go egg his house and scurry off and hide behind a bush ..
Not in my town, it could cost you some serious $$$. FWIW
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Not in my town, it could cost you some serious $$$. FWIW
hey , its only illegal if you get caught ...
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXX VADA ➡️
hey , its only illegal if you get caught ...
I don't know how it is where you are from but more and more people here are installing security cameras and if there is a "problem" are quick to turn over their footage to the police. I know I have installed a security camera after an attempted breakin to my studio. We live in an "electronic age" and the last time I was in London there were over 10,000 security cameras watching everyone and that was in 1990. I cannot imagine how many are there now.
Tokyo Dawn Labs

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Potential clients sometimes turn to YouTube and or other search engine provided sites for information. When they see someone saying misleading information and have no way of discerning what is true and what is made up then they may decide to forgo mastering altogether or DIY it themselves.
This is a biz model in plain sight. Honest demand looking for supply. And you waiving it off.

Why not offer affordable courses for these guys, teaching them the craft in all details. Selling whatever lamps and shovels the gold diggers need, patting them on their back, generously showing them the shortest way to the mine.

Last edited by FabienTDR; 2 weeks ago at 05:22 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm gonna post a contrarian view which I suspect is not going to win me any friends.

I think he is absolutely correct.

He makes two essential points.
*First, be careful when you pick a mastering engineer.
I completely agree. Deciding who does your mastering is a crucial decision and should be undertaken with eyes (and ears) wide open.
*Second, some MEs will do little more than make it louder and sometimes even make it worse.
Again, I totally agree. That's been my experience also. There is a wide variation in approaches to mastering (witness the WUMP threads). Some may be appropriate for your mix, some may not, Caveat emptor.

As for the author convincing "people to not go to mastering engineers and attempt to do it themselves or for go mastering all together. "- I do not see where he does any of this. If he said "do it yourself" or "don't do it at all", I'd appreciate someone pointing that out to me. Indeed, he even hired an ME; the whole video is about him finding an appropriate ME to master his track.

Along the way he mentions level matching when evaluated masters- very good advice, although he could have gone into the process of evaluating master in more detail.
Overall, I think he did a very good job of pointing out to the unaware some of the pitfalls involved in selecting an ME.

Last edited by wildplum; 2 weeks ago at 08:12 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What part of that video is misinformation?

I see a guy sharing actual results he got from real MEs. Unless you think he's lying? He plays level-matched tracks so we can listen and judge for ourselves. And at the end he picks a favorite master and recommends people use that ME.

He's not saying don't use a ME. He's saying choose a ME carefully, and that a less famous ME can be a better choice sometimes. He's not wrong.

Occasionally a client will share with me the results they got from shopping around. I've heard some atrocious masters from high profile MEs and some great masters from lesser known MEs, on the same track. It happens. Sometimes.

Inexperienced clients should be wary because there are some MEs out there taking advantage of people. Those are the ones that give mastering a bad rap.

I think that's why word of mouth referrals account for the vast majority of new clients, because people are aware of the problem.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum ➡️
Overall, I think he did a very good job of pointing out to the unaware some of the pitfalls involved in selecting an MA.
Ah, we were simul-posting the same thoughts!

What's "MA" stand for?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
to be fair this Youtuber, at least he's not telling you need to get a NFT that he may or may not also have bought under a different name the day before the upload..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about the misinformation that is put out by some MEs to secure their business?

For example: that second set of ear argument. I do not want a second set of ears. I know what I want to hear. A second set of ears should do what? lining up the pockets of someone that's opinion is of no interest?

And the work of the so called "pros" I can hear daily on the radio. C'mon, give me a break. Really? And any "pro" who put lots of money in treating rooms does not rest to stress over and over again how important that is. And the desperation to set the "pro" aside from the stupid self-masterers at any cost or better: any BS-argument.

Suer, it's a really bad thing, if the amateur figures out how to sound "pro" without paying a "real" ME. I am not saying that every amateur can do it. But I am saying that a bunch of "pros" can not do it also.

I have heard Abbey Road masterings that were awful. And ones that were genius. The same goes for amateurs. The generalisation that comes from some MEs - especially here - is sometimes really telling. Desperation as I said.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe ➡️
What about the misinformation that is put out by some MEs to secure their business?
Yep. I've seen some claiming to be Grammy winners and they have like 5 small time credits on Discogs. Clients really do need to be careful.

IME a second set of ears in a good room is helpful for a lot of clients. Not all.
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
I don't know how it is where you are from but more and more people here are installing security cameras and if there is a "problem" are quick to turn over their footage to the police. I know I have installed a security camera after an attempted breakin to my studio. We live in an "electronic age" and the last time I was in London there were over 10,000 security cameras watching everyone and that was in 1990. I cannot imagine how many are there now.
Thomas, did some recon and my intel shows that although he (first name Joel) bounces between New York & LA, he is most likely based in Amherst, Massachusetts. This is approx. 3350 miles from London (unless you meant London, Ontario which is 524 miles). Anyway unless you have any info on the state of surveillance in Amherst I'm confident we'll be able to get egg's throw away without getting caught, are you in?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you do anything to make money, audio related or not, and someone posted misinformation that lost you potential clients or caused you to not have an income what would YOU do?
I would try to be helpful and post useful information on the internet. It works the other way, too, Thomas.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNFaIO5fr8

This type of misinformation is what convinces people to not go to mastering engineers and attempt to do it themselves or for go mastering all together. Not cool!!!
if no one is going to listen to your songs its sort of pointless to get it mastered. Also the DAW is so powerful it's really hard to justify mastering at this point.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi its the guy that posted the video! I literally went out and hired 15 people to master a song and then showed what I got back. I thought it would be valuable information for people to see. I want people to hire someone to master their music! I just wanted to show how there are people out there that pretend to be great at it, charge people a lot of money, and really don't know what they are doing. Sorry you were offended! I hope you were not one of the examples in my video lol.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir ➡️
if no one is going to listen to you songs its sort of pointless to get it mastered. Also the DAW is so powerful it's really hard to justify mastering at this point.
Then it's equally pointless to record it at all, or even write it. Why do anything ever, really?

Could it be that artists make art for the love of it, and they hire MEs to make it sound better than they could DIY it... for their own satisfaction ?

Nah!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know what's wrong with the video, enjoyed it and he actually choose the best sounding one and didn't do it himself
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Proulx ➡️
Hi its the guy that posted the video! I literally went out and hired 15 people to master a song and then showed what I got back. I thought it would be valuable information for people to see. I want people to hire someone to master their music! I just wanted to show how there are people out there that pretend to be great at it, charge people a lot of money, and really don't know what they are doing. Sorry you were offended! I hope you were not one of the examples in my video lol.
Don't worry, the video is indeed interesting
📝 Reply