A new way of sending refs...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone ➡️
On another note, for those complaining about the G drive zipping issue, does that mean you're no longer zipping your deliverables before upload?

If clients start requesting a streaming option for approvals, then I'll consider Samply (thanks in no small part to info provided by Justin). I like a company that engages with users to tailor the product to their needs.
It's when receiving files that G Drive drives me nuts. Clients send unzipped batches of tracks and it zips so slowly that I'm convinced there's some sadist on the other end cackling at me. And then there's the ubiquitous "You need access" BS. I get so mad at G Drive that I haven't ever tried using it for sending.

Yeah, Samply is a cool idea and a nice bunch of guys. Once it's finally ready, it'll be my go-to. I think this thread is premature. I was gonna start a thread once Samply became fully formed...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I was using the free Wavelab DDP player to send to clients not the Hofa. Maybe I should try the Hofa.
HOFA does not require installation and works equally well on Mac and PC. When I started with Sonic's DDP Player and Sonoris, I had to send clients separate installers, that's when the hand holding started. I believe Steinberg's DDP Player also requires installation. Virtually zero hand holding needed with HOFA.

Justin P (hope he'll return) also mentions using HOFA for proofing of multi-song masters meant for digital distribution only. Works for me as well.

Rainer
Sienna Digital
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
It's when receiving files that G Drive drives me nuts. Clients send unzipped batches of tracks and it zips so slowly that I'm convinced there's some sadist on the other end cackling at me. And then there's the ubiquitous "You need access" BS. I get so mad at G Drive that I haven't ever tried using it for sending.
Ah ok. There are some simple ways of mitigating that stuff on the sending end. And lol re sadist cackling at you!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that. Do you know:

Does it stream gapless transitions smoothly?

Can you send DDPs, docs and zips with it?

Do downloads start immediately?

It's not clear to me from reading their main page...
Well, i haven’t actually used it yet!

I’ve been so busy for the last 2 years, no free time to work in a new concept, especially with the WeTransfer scenario working so well, and transitioning to WaveLab.

maybe this year i’ll make time for it !

Lemme know if it works out for you!

cheers, JT
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use HOFA DDP for my Clients. Works good, hope they continue to improve it.

2. also been using the AudioMixup services to send Mastering references/eval copies.
It basically works OK, but it is not without some functional problems/issues.
Fixes have been slow to come.

Because of that, I'm looking at other services that can replace the 'WeTransfer' type exchange.

Thanks for the heads up ...
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's so slow it's comical. It's like Google put a governor on the zipper so it only goes 1/20 the speed it should.

Up/downloading via wetransfer is practically instant, I don't know why everyone doesn't use it, but it's a big crazy world out there.
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
My server is even faster than WeTransfer, I still don't understand why everyone doesn't do that, genuinely.

Finish master, upload files via FTP with FileZilla (zipped for easy download or raw .wav or .mp3 file for streaming their end), send link to client, voila. It's a particularly OLD way of sending refs, I realise, but it's the way I've always done it as it's just so fast and effortless.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs ➡️
It's so slow it's comical. It's like Google put a governor on the zipper so it only goes 1/20 the speed it should.
Hey man, lay off Google. They're doing the best they can with limited resources. These plucky little mom and pop operations are struggling. They need our support.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Hermetech ➡️
My server is even faster than WeTransfer, I still don't understand why everyone doesn't do that, genuinely.

Finish master, upload files via FTP with FileZilla (zipped for easy download or raw .wav or .mp3 file for streaming their end), send link to client, voila. It's a particularly OLD way of sending refs, I realise, but it's the way I've always done it as it's just so fast and effortless.
That's a nice system. There's a playback speed control. What the heck?
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
That's a nice system. There's a playback speed control. What the heck?
That's dependent on the browser you access the link from, I think. There is if you use Edge. I just host the file, how the browser or email host handles audio or .zip links is out of my control.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs ➡️

Up/downloading via wetransfer is practically instant, I don't know why everyone doesn't use it, but it's a big crazy world out there.
QFT

my experience as well. maybe it’s playing the files in real time, for data mining!

Quote:
Hey man, lay off Google. They're doing the best they can with limited resources. These plucky little mom and pop operations are struggling. They need our support.
Major LoL !

jT
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Might be slow due to calculating the Tracks Integrated LUF [?]
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that. Do you know:

Does it stream gapless transitions smoothly?

Can you send DDPs, docs and zips with it?

Do downloads start immediately?

It's not clear to me from reading their main page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
Well, i haven’t actually used it yet!

I’ve been so busy for the last 2 years, no free time to work in a new concept, especially with the WeTransfer scenario working so well, and transitioning to WaveLab.

maybe this year i’ll make time for it !

Lemme know if it works out for you!

cheers, JT
I emailed my questions to Artist Connection 5 days ago and got no response. I'll assume the answers are all 'no'. But what this says about their customer service is the most important thing. I'll stick with wetransfer until Samply is ready.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

FWIW -
Just sent some Ref files to a client yesterday using both Samply and HOFA DDP Player Maker. We'll see which one - if either - they have success with playing the files.

I have an older Gen iPad and can't seem to use Samply to play the files that I sent to the above mentioned client. I emailed the Samply link to one of my email accounts that I can access on the iPad. The link takes me to a blank Samply page and just sits there. Works great on my Android phone however....
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRM ➡️
I have an older Gen iPad and can't seem to use Samply to play the files that I sent to the above mentioned client. I emailed the Samply link to one of my email accounts that I can access on the iPad. The link takes me to a blank Samply page and just sits there. Works great on my Android phone however....
Probably to do with an outdated version of the web browser on the older iPad. Samply works great on my iPhone 8 Plus with recent IOS and Safari.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I emailed my questions to Artist Connection 5 days ago and got no response. I'll assume the answers are all 'no'. But what this says about their customer service is the most important thing. I'll stick with wetransfer until Samply is ready.
I signed up for the free trial a week ago and created two projects that I posted for testing purposes. When I sent feedback to Artist Connection they responded quickly and they are looking into the issues that I mentioned. So far the communication has been very good.

The gapless play did not work on my desktop system (iMac/Big Sur with Safari and Chrome) but, to my surprise, it seemed to work on my iPhone 8 connected to our WiFi (fiber internet).

Rainer
Sienna Digital
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Has anyone used the Sonoris DDP Player for iOS? If so, how is it working for you? The lack of an Android version has kept me from giving it further consideration at this point.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainergem ➡️
I signed up for the free trial a week ago and created two projects that I posted for testing purposes. When I sent feedback to Artist Connection they responded quickly and they are looking into the issues that I mentioned. So far the communication has been very good.

The gapless play did not work on my desktop system (iMac/Big Sur with Safari and Chrome) but, to my surprise, it seemed to work on my iPhone 8 connected to our WiFi (fiber internet).

Rainer
Sienna Digital
Good to hear that they responded to you. Spotty service is better than none at all.

Gapless high quality streaming is Samply's main strong point right now. It works great everywhere I've tried it. Once they add more features they'll be fantastic.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainergem ➡️

Rainer
Sienna Digital
That’s Good to hear.

when my workload eases a bit, i’ll come up for air & do the trial.

jT
📝 Reply