Quantcast
Bettermaker Mastering Compressor - the mystery box - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bettermaker Mastering Compressor - the mystery box
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Bettermaker Mastering Compressor - the mystery box

Does anyone use this compressor?

It seems like a mystery unit... very little about it here and no good demo vids on Youtube. Aside from macc's review on a thread a while back, I've seen hardly any info on it. I have the BM Limiter which is a really nice unit, and it's made me interested in the BMMC. mmac's review implied that it wasn't that much fun to use, was wondering if that's a majority opinion?

Also which modes (BM, SG, DX) are most used and appropriate for what sources?

I'm also wondering if the THD section in the BMMC is the same as in the BMML, and if that creates maybe too much feature overlap of you own both of the units?

If I took the dive, it would replace a Neve MBP, which is on the chopping block because of the too low 125hz HPF Sidechain and because something about it strikes me as more 'rock&roll' than 'dancy/EDM' (maybe the transformers? not sure).

Any other compressors in this vein I should consider? High HPF sidechain is a must, because I don't have the DA channels or spare EQs to burn on an external sidechain.

Last edited by billinder33; 1 week ago at 12:07 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 
Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, I know, me again.

Quick sort of follow up on it.

- it went 2dB off to one side so I sent it for servicing towards the end of last year. They said it can't be done by the user.
- I advertised it for sale cos I'd had enough, but decided to give it another try with a different mindset (just use the plugin and forget it's an analogue box). It's a lot better this way, but how much fun are plugins, really?
- Everything I've said about the MS/dual handling re parameters being unlinked still holds, so I'm pretty much only using it in stereo (it's a F#CKING nightmare, honestly)
- Unfortunately a week or two later it's 0.5dB off to the right again and I'm waiting to find out if I can just do the calibration myself this time. Still useable like this but FFS.

I really WANT to love it. The core sound/s (BM + SSL) are really good.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Deleted 5874a2e
Guest
FWIW, I've had the Bettermaker Mastering Compressor for roughly 3 years and haven't had a balance issue. Before each print each I run a test tone to verify certain things and the balance of the Bettermaker Mastering Compressor is always perfect. Same with their EQ. I have the limiter but it mostly sits turned off these days.

I do agree that the stereo linking methods of the Mastering Compressor is terrible. I basically use and set it in stereo linked mode and then once I think I have the desired setting, I put it in dual mono to see if that's better which it often is, and then if more changes are needed I put it back to stereo, make changes, and then put it back to dual mono.

It's kind of ridiculous but that's the way it is. In my experience, the plugin and firmware updating of these units works at glacial speeds.

The one thing they did right in my opinion is that the parallel blend mode is after the make-up gain so you can reduce the compression strength but the overall gain doesn't change. I tend to like that method.

And also FWIW, I always use the plugins 100% of the time to control these units as I find it faster than using the knobs and menus of the small touch screen.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 
Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Aye, I run a tone (or more often, the track concerned monoed) through everything before I record, which is how I noticed it. And it's definitely pissed to the side, it's not a meter cal issue as KMR just suggested (? )

I use it the same way re dual mono but when stuff needs fine tweaking etc it's a real pain. I'll stick with though, I've decided. Using it as a plugin is much more bearable.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
"I have the limiter but it mostly sits turned off these days."

I have been considering purchasing the Bettermaker limiter as I'd like a 100% out of the computer hardware mastering chain.

Why did you stop using yours? Do you not consider it to be a good mastering hardware limiter or is it useful?

I don't really want it for smashing the crap out of stuff. More for light limiting duties but I do want it to be musical and as transparent as possible in that regard.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6
Deleted 5874a2e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
"I have the limiter but it mostly sits turned off these days."

I have been considering purchasing the Bettermaker limiter as I'd like a 100% out of the computer hardware mastering chain.

Why did you stop using yours? Do you not consider it to be a good mastering hardware limiter or is it useful?

I don't really want it for smashing the crap out of stuff. More for light limiting duties but I do want it to be musical and as transparent as possible in that regard.
It sounds pretty good but I don't really prefer it to any of the digital options I have in most cases. Plus, for 99.9% of projects, I do not want to capture or commit to any limiting before going back to digital.

Committing to the limiter paints me into a corner that makes it impossible to make a great vinyl friendly master, or do any small tweaks digitally without redoing all the analog work and post capture RX work.

I tend to only use it on certain hip-hip/r&b singles that I know have basically zero percent chance of going to vinyl at any point and even then, I tend to only use it when the mix is a bit loose and the analog limiting helps tighten things up before going back to digital in which I still tend to use a digital limiter after that for the final level push.

It's not a bad sounding unit overall, it's just not something I want to commit to in the analog realm before going digital when I can capture without any limiting and be way more flexible.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Everything you said makes sense, thanks for the detailed response.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinder33 ➡️
Does anyone use this compressor?

It seems like a mystery unit... very little about it here and no good demo vids on Youtube. Aside from macc's review on a thread a while back, I've seen hardly any info on it. I have the BM Limiter which is a really nice unit, and it's made me interested in the BMMC. mmac's review implied that it wasn't that much fun to use, was wondering if that's a majority opinion?

Also which modes (BM, SG, DX) are most used and appropriate for what sources?

I'm also wondering if the THD section in the BMMC is the same as in the BMML, and if that creates maybe too much feature overlap of you own both of the units?

If I took the dive, it would replace a Neve MBP, which is on the chopping block because of the too low 125hz HPF Sidechain and because something about it strikes me as more 'rock&roll' than 'dancy/EDM' (maybe the transformers? not sure).

Any other compressors in this vein I should consider? High HPF sidechain is a must, because I don't have the DA channels or spare EQs to burn on an external sidechain.
Hi.
Thanks a lot for interest in our MCompressor. Yes that is true that we do not have enough demo videos for it and we will be working on it this year.
From feedback we get form our users, BM and SG modes are mostly used as DX is an aggressive mode, more good for mixing drum groups etc..
THe THD section is made differently, I'm my opinion they do not overlap and I tend to use them interchangeably.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #9
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➡️
Yeah, I know, me again.

Quick sort of follow up on it.

- it went 2dB off to one side so I sent it for servicing towards the end of last year. They said it can't be done by the user.
- I advertised it for sale cos I'd had enough, but decided to give it another try with a different mindset (just use the plugin and forget it's an analogue box). It's a lot better this way, but how much fun are plugins, really?
- Everything I've said about the MS/dual handling re parameters being unlinked still holds, so I'm pretty much only using it in stereo (it's a F#CKING nightmare, honestly)
- Unfortunately a week or two later it's 0.5dB off to the right again and I'm waiting to find out if I can just do the calibration myself this time. Still useable like this but FFS.

I really WANT to love it. The core sound/s (BM + SSL) are really good.
I'm very sorry to hear that. We never had it with any other unit. I hope it's all sorted now.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #10
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5874a2e ➡️
FWIW, I've had the Bettermaker Mastering Compressor for roughly 3 years and haven't had a balance issue. Before each print each I run a test tone to verify certain things and the balance of the Bettermaker Mastering Compressor is always perfect. Same with their EQ. I have the limiter but it mostly sits turned off these days.

I do agree that the stereo linking methods of the Mastering Compressor is terrible. I basically use and set it in stereo linked mode and then once I think I have the desired setting, I put it in dual mono to see if that's better which it often is, and then if more changes are needed I put it back to stereo, make changes, and then put it back to dual mono.

It's kind of ridiculous but that's the way it is. In my experience, the plugin and firmware updating of these units works at glacial speeds.

The one thing they did right in my opinion is that the parallel blend mode is after the make-up gain so you can reduce the compression strength but the overall gain doesn't change. I tend to like that method.

And also FWIW, I always use the plugins 100% of the time to control these units as I find it faster than using the knobs and menus of the small touch screen.
Hi, thanks a lot for the input. We are working on the plugin to make it more enjoyable. We are taking all suggestions seriously and there will be a lot of changes.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
Hi.
Thanks a lot for interest in our MCompressor. Yes that is true that we do not have enough demo videos for it and we will be working on it this year.
From feedback we get form our users, BM and SG modes are mostly used as DX is an aggressive mode, more good for mixing drum groups etc..
THe THD section is made differently, I'm my opinion they do not overlap and I tend to use them interchangeably.
"THe THD section is made differently, I'm my opinion they do not overlap and I tend to use them interchangeably."

Can you go into more detail about this? I have the BMML, so I'm very familiar with that one. How is it different in the BMMC? Is it comparable to 'Silk' in the MBP?

Last edited by billinder33; 6 days ago at 07:33 PM..
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 
Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
I'm very sorry to hear that. We never had it with any other unit. I hope it's all sorted now.
Sadly not, it's 0.5 off to the right, apparently in the makeup gain stage. Bypass the compressor and it's straight, engage and it's off. If I use it in parallel, as I adjust the mix % I can see the balance changing from straight to right.

As it is I either have to use it in MS or dual mono and adjust the right channel to preserve unity gain. But that means all the unlinked parameter headaches. Gahhhhhh.....

Are there any pots in the unit I can adjust? I'd be very happy to do so, I've done this stuff before...
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #13
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➡️
Sadly not, it's 0.5 off to the right, apparently in the makeup gain stage. Bypass the compressor and it's straight, engage and it's off. If I use it in parallel, as I adjust the mix % I can see the balance changing from straight to right.

As it is I either have to use it in MS or dual mono and adjust the right channel to preserve unity gain. But that means all the unlinked parameter headaches. Gahhhhhh.....

Are there any pots in the unit I can adjust? I'd be very happy to do so, I've done this stuff before...
Please write directly to our hardware support. I will tell him to answer you on priority [email protected]
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 15 views: 3922
Avatar for down_town
down_town 15th August 2014
replies: 0 views: 780
Avatar for Zmago Šmon
Zmago Šmon 22nd January 2020
replies: 3306 views: 70644
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump