Old 11th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
Honest question Paul,
Considering your evident madman impressive determination & sonic plight, is there generally a type of material that gets you more interested, or engaged than others to work on these days? I wanna hear your newish work via these fine weapons.
Not really. I'm still mostly an indie guy. I like working on a wide variety of music. One of my fears is that I'll be known as the analog only guy and miss working on great records because of it. I still haven't done a session using the A/B switching. I rely pretty heavily on the MLA3 and until I have the custom mulitband going I'll have choose projects carefully to use the A/B switch.

Since the setup is new I've only mastered projects that aren't out yet. Nightlands and Suki Waterhouse come to mind.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➡️
Not really. I'm still mostly an indie guy. I like working on a wide variety of music. One of my fears is that I'll be known as the analog only guy and miss working on great records because of it. I still haven't done a session using the A/B switching. I rely pretty heavily on the MLA3 and until I have the custom mulitband going I'll have choose projects carefully to use the A/B switch.

Since the setup is new I've only mastered projects that aren't out yet. Nightlands and Suki Waterhouse come to mind.
Dang an actual true coincidence, I was just listening to the Nightlands last night. I like Daves stuff. I just finished an ep with a few of his bandmates and looking forward to Mastering it as soon the release stuff gets sorted.

What fascinates me lately with such great analog stages (though coming from production/mixing end) is the tricky balance at mix & master stage of tweaking things / richness / balance etc ...and NOT loosing too many transient balance things that the track may need to retain for a little age & impact. Insofar as a fresh 2021-2 juxtaposition kinda thing maybe.
Transformers tubes etc, it's something I struggle with a bit at mix, and can only imagine the knowledgeable approach or angle that very good Mastering guys come at it from.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dang an actual true coincidence, I was just listening to the Nightlands last night. I like Daves stuff. I just finished an ep with a few of his bandmates and looking forward to Mastering it as soon the release stuff gets sorted.
I love Dave's stuff. I'm glad he's doing Nightlands now. I did all the War on Drugs stuff until they got too big for lil ole me to master.
Old 12th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

What fascinates me lately with such great analog stages (though coming from production/mixing end) is the tricky balance at mix & master stage of tweaking things / richness / balance etc ...and NOT loosing too many transient balance things that the track may need to retain for a little age & impact. Insofar as a fresh 2021-2 juxtaposition kinda thing maybe.
Transformers tubes etc, it's something I struggle with a bit at mix, and can only imagine the knowledgeable approach or angle that very good Mastering guys come at it from.
I deal with a much narrower set of choices in Mastering. I tend to think about these things in the context of intentional/unintentional and problematic/unproblematic. If it’s intentional and unproblematic I leave it alone. If it’s unintentional or problematic I try to figure out the best way to address it.

I’ll point out that A.F.A.I.K. this is the most elaborate A/B console ever built, facility wise. The Neumann consoles had a far more limited feature set. I’m not aware of any other console with as full of a feature set. This is a full modern mastering setup in the A/B Console format. It would also be useful for DSD to lacquer if any mastering is needed.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just got around to properly reading this thread… absolutely amazing work Paul. Hopefully you had a blast building it
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I deal with a much narrower set of choices in Mastering. I tend to think about these things in the context of intentional/unintentional and problematic/unproblematic. If it’s intentional and unproblematic I leave it alone. If it’s unintentional or problematic I try to figure out the best way to address it.

I’ll point out that A.F.A.I.K. this is the most elaborate A/B console ever built, facility wise. The Neumann consoles had a far more limited feature set. I’m not aware of any other console with as full of a feature set. This is a full modern mastering setup in the A/B Console format. It would also be useful for DSD to lacquer if any mastering is needed.
What would be the chain when cutting from native DSD? Both the preview and the cutting paths, please.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
What would be the chain when cutting from native DSD? Both the preview and the cutting paths, please.
It would be no different than cutting from any other source format. I can rent a Sony Sonoma for playback. It could be just the ‘Transfer Path’ which is Input Amplifier, HF Limiter, HPF/LPF, EE, , Output Amplifier. The full Processing Path would be with EQ’s and compressors. The Preview Path is exactly the same as the Modulation Path except for the HF Limiter which is only in the Modulation Path.

I’m working on a Native DSD playback solution. I’m close. I have the Mini DSP MCH streamer which can output Native DSD. I have DA converters from Twisted Pear Audio. I haven't found any suitable multichannel DSD playback software yet.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm working on the Multiband Compressor. It's five band and follows the band splitting drawing I posted earlier. It is dual detector. Separate controls for RMS and Peak. Each band is on a separate card in the Eurorack. Band splitting and summing are done on separate cards. The user interface board can control as many base units as necessary. I'll have two 4 channel units eventually.

Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I did my first session today using both the A and B halves of the console. It went off without a hitch. The workflow is really nice this way. I know I nailed it better than if I had done it the old way of changing settings in-between songs. It was much less harrowing pressing one button between songs instead of nervously switching settings hoping I didn't forget anything.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did my first session today using both the A and B halves of the console. It went off without a hitch. The workflow is really nice this way. I know I nailed it better than if I had done it the old way of changing settings in-between songs. It was much less harrowing pressing one button between songs instead of nervously switching settings hoping I didn't forget anything.
its alive!
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It would be no different than cutting from any other source format. I can rent a Sony Sonoma for playback. It could be just the ‘Transfer Path’ which is Input Amplifier, HF Limiter, HPF/LPF, EE, , Output Amplifier. The full Processing Path would be with EQ’s and compressors. The Preview Path is exactly the same as the Modulation Path except for the HF Limiter which is only in the Modulation Path.

I’m working on a Native DSD playback solution. I’m close. I have the Mini DSP MCH streamer which can output Native DSD. I have DA converters from Twisted Pear Audio. I haven't found any suitable multichannel DSD playback software yet.
sorry, I meant DSD128 cut natively to a lacquer with analog EQ/limiting. Does Sonoma support DSD128? The sound difference between DSD64 and DSD128 is that high to me (sorry) that I do not feel like bothering / be bothered with DSD64.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Does Sonoma support DSD128? The sound difference between DSD64 and DSD128 is that high to me (sorry) that I do not feel like bothering / be bothered with DSD64.

I don’t know. I haven’t had any serious inquiries about cutting from DSD. The only time I’ve cut from DSD it was for the person I’d rent the Sonoma from. I can cut from any four output device.
📝 Reply