Archiving Old DATS - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Archiving Old DATS
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Archiving Old DATS

Hi all,

We are currently in a large project of archiving old DAT recordings. We have been using some Sony 7030's and 7040's since we need the timecode from the recordings.

However, the machines are getting old of course and wearing down.

Can anyone recommend any other brand/type of DAT machines like the 7030/40?

Anyone happen to have any old 7030/40's lying around you are willing to part with?

I am aware of the classified section but haven't gotten much traction there so let me know if you have any recommendations for replacement machines please.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelliott ➡️
Hi all,

We are currently in a large project of archiving old DAT recordings. We have been using some Sony 7030's and 7040's since we need the timecode from the recordings.

However, the machines are getting old of course and wearing down.

Can anyone recommend any other brand/type of DAT machines like the 7030/40?

Anyone happen to have any old 7030/40's lying around you are willing to part with?

I am aware of the classified section but haven't gotten much traction there so let me know if you have any recommendations for replacement machines please.

Thanks
I think there are few 7030’s for sale in UK right now. I often prefer to use a DA30 mk2 for old DATs. 7030’s are not as forgiven and often give errors where a Tascam reads it without issues.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
One of the BEST DAT machines (we have two of them) is the SONY R500. There are a couple on sale on REVERB https://reverb.com/p/sony-pcm-r500-d...QaAitfEALw_wcB

FWIW
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah ➡️
I think there are few 7030’s for sale in UK right now.
I think there have been a few ex-BBC machines sold at auction over the last few months so they are probably finding their way onto the usual marketplaces. I wouldn't expect the ex-BBC machines to have had an easy life although they will have been properly maintained.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp ➡️
I think there have been a few ex-BBC machines sold at auction over the last few months so they are probably finding their way onto the usual marketplaces. I wouldn't expect the ex-BBC machines to have had an easy life although they will have been properly maintained.
They did tend to keep around unused spares of everything though for quick replacement, so you might get lucky if any of those are around. I doubt there's any way to tell a heavily-used one from an unused one before buying online though...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp ➡️
Not BBC machines.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I stockpile Tascam / Fostex DA series decks and put them in storage, they are relatively easy to get serviced and source parts for in the UK as some people also alluded to: used at the BBC

Yes some of them will be battered, but it also means there was/is still a market for distribution of parts and belts.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
One of the BEST DAT machines (we have two of them) is the SONY R500.
And the Sony PCM R700 – a workhorse (better error correction) than the earlier (timecode) 7030 model. I'm not aware of any timecode DAT machines to recommend.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Worth noticing also: the few 24 bit machines are becoming insanely expensive as I have a feeling parts diminishing and general rot kicks in.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Tascam DA60 had timecode. The loading can be the part that goes south fastest. We have had some of them in the past. Currently have 1 that works and 2 as donor machines.

We also have used the portable HHB dats with timecode that they used to use on film production sets. They were built like mini tanks.

Good luck in the search.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
In general, i’ve found that it’s Best to playback a DAT tape on the same model machine it was recorded with,

maybe even the exact machine if possible.

the rotary head design and transport path & tension.

and i clean the heads often with denatured isopropyl & a tech swab, not cotton.

iirc back in the day, some tapes recorded on a Tascam or Sony might not playback very well on a Panasonic or Fostex.

very flimsy thin 4mm format, if only they had gone for 8mm instead… and thicker tape.

good luck on your quest.

JT
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks to you all for the feedback.

I will check some of these out for our use. We have a bunch of parts machines but even those are getting picked over.

Unfortunately Jerry, most of the recordings are field recordings but I have found the same that the best results come from playing back on from the same model it was recorded on.

Again, much appreciated and if you hear or see any 7030s or 40s out in the wild please drop me a line.... but i will check out the alternatives suggested.

Paul
📝 Reply